CAN NOT OPEN MY SOUND FORGE SOFTWARE.

Mark-Martinez schrieb am 20.10.2021 um 05:37 Uhr

To my utter surprise, today I could not open my Sound Forge Audio Studio10.0. Instead I got a message that reads "Sound Forge stopped working" with a link that took me to a Magix page offering a "free update". I followed all the instructions and links provided but nothing happened. Actually it felt like going into a "twilight zone" where nothing made sense. I don´t know how many times I was asked for a Serial Number which I entered every time and it was recognize by Magix. In desperation I uninstalled the software and installed it again using the original disc to no avail. Please help.

Kommentare

SP. schrieb am 20.10.2021 um 09:43 Uhr

@Mark-Martinez Hold CTRL+SHIFT and double click on the Sound Forge icon to start the program. Does a small window appear that asks you to reset the program settings and cached data? Click on "Yes". If this doesn't work, have you installed a new VST that could cause the problems?

Mark-Martinez schrieb am 20.10.2021 um 14:56 Uhr

Thanks a lot for trying to help. I followed your suggestion several times without any positive results. This is what happens.

1. Double clicked Sound Forge icon while holding CTRL+SHIFT
  2. A small window appears asking if I want to allow MAGIX to make changes to my PC
  3. Clicked on YES
  4. A small window titled Problem Report appears with message "SF Audio Studio has stopped working" with options to send or not send the report to MAGIX. It also contains the following information:

Problem Description
       Application Name:    Sound Forge Audio Studio
       Application Version: Version 10.0 (Build 319)
       Problem:             Unmanaged Exception (0xc00000fd)
       Fault Module:        C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll
       Fault Address:       0x77BC3269
       Fault Offset:        0x00063269

5. Clicked on "send"
  6. Another small window titled Problem Report appears containing a link.
  7. Clicked on link.
  8. A page titled SONY appears with the following info:

Sound Forge Audio Studio Update Posted Nov. 19, 2013 An update to Sound Forge Audio Studio software is now available. Version 10.0 build 252 includes numerous fixes and improvements.Click here to download the free update. Note: Please exit the application before running the installer.

9. Clicked on "download free update" which takes me to a MAGIX Portal with no further instructions. Dead end!

I hope the above detailed information will help find a solution to this bothersome, frustrating situation.

emmrecs schrieb am 20.10.2021 um 15:57 Uhr

@Mark-Martinez

The critical line in that error report is  Fault Module:        C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll

ntdll.dll is a Windows core file, used by, I believe, every program on your computer! The error message suggests it may well be corrupted, I think.

So, you need to check your Windows installation. One way to do this is to use the System File Checker utility built into Windows.

1. Right-click on the Start icon and choose "Windows PowerShell (Admin)"
  2. Once the screen is open, at the cursor type (without quotes) "sfc /scannow". (Notice the deliberate gap before the forward slash.)
  3. Allow the process to run fully (it may take some time) but it should, if it finds errors, also attempt to correct them.
  4. Once it is completed, it will report what it has found and whether it was able to repair any damaged files. Close that screen and try again to open SFAS 10.

If you are still unsuccessful you may need to think of enlisting the help of a local (to you) computer technician. There are other things you can do to effect any repairs yourself but they are rather more complicated and potentially "dangerous" (for your computer) if you are not used to carrying out such procedures.

HTH

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Mark-Martinez schrieb am 20.10.2021 um 17:54 Uhr

Thank you Jeff for your suggestions. I did everything you wrote but still was not successful. Last week SFAS was working perfectly and I suspect this has something to do with the recommended update by MAGIX which never materialized. The link provided doesn´t link to anything. Since I am 75 years old without much PC experience I would never dare to even try making repairs myself. At the same time I am afraid to enlist the help of a computer technician that will probably charge an arm and a leg. This is so frustrating since I own the original software and it seems worthless now. Any other suggestions?

Mark-Martinez schrieb am 20.10.2021 um 17:59 Uhr

Thank you Rick for your participation. Be advised that I have ALWAYS run SFAS as an Administrator and still do.

rraud schrieb am 20.10.2021 um 18:14 Uhr

Try downloading the last/current build of SF AS-10 from the Magix Service Center and reinstall, but first.. uninstall SF again using a third-party uninstaller that can remove left-over registry entries and other pertinent data the OS uninstall leaves behind, which in usually the root of recurring issues. Revo Uninstall is highly regarded and has a pro and freeware versions.. The free version is adequate 99.9% of the time. The pro version has more tech support options, a forced uninstall mode and extended scan, all of which you do should not need in this case.

btw, I deleted my previous comment because it does not seem to be the SF-10 'Elevated Privilege' issue, since it was stated that SF opens prior to the error message.

SP. schrieb am 20.10.2021 um 18:20 Uhr

@Mark-Martinez Have you tried to restart your Computer. Click on "Restart" and NOT on "Shut down". This will reset all drivers. Maybe it will work then.

Before doing the next steps I would strongly recommend you make a backup of your system with a backup software so you can restore everything in case something goes wrong. I use NovaStor NovaBackup for a task like this. If you never have done something like this what I describe in this post, it could be hard to do for you. Maybe ask someone who has knowledge to guide you.

Maybe the problem was caused by an update last week. Then you can uninstall it and see what happens https://www.tomsguide.com/how-to/how-to-uninstall-a-windows-10-update

If no updates were installed last week I would suggest you install the current Windows 10 updates.

You could also try to reinstall the ntdll.dll like it is described here https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/app-crash-with-ntdlldll/9aa59f80-99a1-4f3c-b2f0-7eb72df05b2a

Try next to update all your drivers. There are tools like Snappy Driver Installer that do it automatically for you. https://sdi-tool.org/download/ Click on the download button next to SDI Lite version 1.21.2 (R2102). DO NOT click on the big Driver Pack solution download button in the middle of the page because this is an ad.

Maybe your problem is caused by a service running in the background. You can try and open MSConfig and stop the services one by one (be sure to hide all Microsoft services before doing this) until Sound Forge runs again. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/msconfig-the-system-configuration-tool/273dea8e-4cbe-47e9-8489-f400e879ce17

If nothing helps you could try it on a different computer. If it works fine there I would guess that something broke in your Windows installation. I this case I would suggest you reinstall Windows 10 from scratch. Save all your data on an external hard drive before doing this.

Mark-Martinez schrieb am 21.10.2021 um 16:25 Uhr

Hi Rick and thanks for your suggestions. I uninstalled SF AS-10 using Revo and reinstalled from MAGIX download. IT DIDN´T HELP AT ALL. When I try running it takes me back to the "Problem Report" stating that SF AS10 has stopped working.

Mark-Martinez schrieb am 21.10.2021 um 17:01 Uhr

Commenting on SP. instructions of 10/20/2021:

1. I always Restart PC after every change.
  2. I am working on Windows 7 and there has been no recent update. According to Microsoft there are no Windows 7 updates pending.
  3. Reinstalling the ntdll.dll, (as described in the Microsoft link provided), updating my drives, and the rest of your suggestions, all sounds like ancient Greek to me. That does not mean I don´t appreciate your suggestions. Simply I´m too old to understand at 75 years old and limited PC experience.

The fact remains that I have NO PROBLEM at all with my PC since all the installed software works perfectly except for SF AS10. It worked fine until sometime last week when some kind of MAGIX update got in the way.

ANY OTHER IDEAS?

rraud schrieb am 21.10.2021 um 18:04 Uhr

@Mark-Martinez, unfortunately I do not think Magix Support will help on an outdated SCS product, but you could try.
I do not think this is the SF-10 'Elevated Privilege' issue, but try running SF as an administrator:
- Right-click the Sound Forge 10 <.exe> launcher (or shortcut)
- Choose "Properties"
- Select the 'Compatibility' tab
- Under 'Privilege level', check-mark "Run this program as an Administrator".

btw, when you uninstalled w/ Revo, did you use the 'Advanced' scan mode and delete all the items (check mark all and only the bold text items will actually be removed), the same with the secondary scanned dialog window.

Mark-Martinez schrieb am 27.10.2021 um 06:59 Uhr

Hi Rick, I always run SF as an administrator and it always worked fine until last week. I find this grossly unfair to me as a consumer who spent some serious cash on the SF software. Still I will follow your advice and contact Magix Support. Thank you.