[Wrong length] troubleshooting for Sound forge 17 suite.

byeongho-Cho wrote on 7/14/2024, 11:09 PM

I'd like to ask you because there is an issue that cannot be solved by search.

Template : 44,100Hz, 16bit, Stereo
Save Template : mp3 192kbps, CD Transparent Audio

In editing using sound forge, when you cut and save an audio file to exactly 55 minutes.

The length of the saved file is displayed in Windows 10 as 54 minutes 55 seconds.

Since we are a radio broadcaster, we are sensitive to seconds, and 5 seconds is a very large error.

What problem can cause such an issue?
I'm also inquiring about the solution.

Comments

SP. wrote on 7/14/2024, 11:45 PM

@byeongho-Cho I speculate that this might have something to do with the MP3 decoder/encoder. Because of the way MP3 works internally, it will add silence add the beginning and the end of the file. Usually this are only milliseconds, so I don't think this will add 5 seconds to the file.

What's the original file format? Is it already an MP3 file? Sound Forge might get incorrect timing information out of the file. The program might show you that the file length is 55 minutes while in reality it's 5 seconds shorter. Or maybe Windows is showing incorrect length information.

Please enable the option the always proxy compressed file formats in the program preferences in case you edit MP3 files.

byeongho-Cho wrote on 7/15/2024, 2:27 AM

Thank you for your response.

but can you solve it a little more and explain it?
I didn't find what you said in the Preferences.

john_barr wrote on 7/15/2024, 5:24 AM

@byeongho-Cho

You will find Always Proxy Compressed Formats in: Options, Preferences, General tab.

rraud wrote on 7/15/2024, 9:50 AM

Welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users community @byeongho-Cho.

The MP3 proxy mode will likely help, but if it does not, try using the legacy MP3 encoder in the ''Constant Bit Rate' (CBR) mode. The current MP3 encoder (SF-16/17/18) was dumbed-down and CBR is not available.The legacy encoder can be re-enabled in Internal preferences menu (normally hidden).

CBR is often recommended for internet streaming.

john_barr wrote on 7/15/2024, 10:52 AM

@rraud

Sound Forge Pro 18, is available MP3 CBR and VBR:

rraud wrote on 7/15/2024, 11:44 AM

Thanks @john_barr Sorry, I was thinking of 'Joint Stereo' which cannot be changed to standard L/R stereo.

byeongho-Cho wrote on 7/18/2024, 10:00 PM

Even with the advice of many people, this problem has not been solved yet.
Is there any way I can contact the magix technical support team directly for this issue?

SP. wrote on 7/19/2024, 12:32 AM

@byeongho-Cho Click on the SUPPORT link at top of this page and then select your product. On the next page scroll down until you can click on Contact Support. Then create your e-mail ticket .