Will files from Sony Acid Music Studio 7 work on Acid Music Studio 11

alan-b7280 wrote on 3/9/2021, 10:48 PM

I've Sony Acid Music Studio 7, which I've been using since 2005. Win 10 upgrades have made it difficult and cumbersome to use. If I buy Acid Music Studio 11, will I be able to use my old files? That is, both the wavs and the * sfk. I've made numerous edits on my individual waves, and I don't want to lose all my work (about 100 songs). Will I be able to open my old *.acd files and just USE them, without have to re-do all the editing all over again?

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 3/10/2021, 4:35 AM

@alan-b7280

Why not download the free trial of Acid Music Studio 11 from this page and test it out? You do need to be aware that Magix trial versions are always in some way limited when compared with the purchased versions, but it might at least give you some idea of the feasibility of what you are asking.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

alan-b7280 wrote on 3/10/2021, 9:29 AM

Thanks for that fast response.  Price is not my concern, free or a few hundred dollars . . .

I'm concerned about installing any new music software on the same computer as my old music software. 

Acid Music Studio 11 is eight years and several versions more recent.  I could discover that the  "New and improved" features have invalidated my previous thousand hours of work: just incompatible.  But - by then - my old software has been written over!

Over the years, this has already happened with a lot of my previous work in other fields, with other types of software.  I

Let me give you the background. It's a long story, but interesting.

Over the last 16 years I've invested several thousand hours recording and mixing drums, lead/ rhythm guitars, Bass guitars, 3-part harmonies and keyboard (all recorded Live), into over 130 songs.  
I performed live with my band for several years, and now I'm recording a lot of my unrecorded songs, while still composing new songs.  Some samples: Reverbnation.com/Alan Bradley.  (I've posted - I dunno 30 - 50 songs).

I am a prolific composer, and have I have about 50 songs currently partially recorded.  For example, a rough guitar track or drum track as a backbone for a Bass track.  Then I decide a bass melody/ rhythm, and record.  I then delete the guitar track, and write one with a more significant rhythm to mesh with the bass.  My songs are not simple rock or blues, they are quite complex, and so take longer to record and edit.  

Fore instance, one of my Songs, "Folks I Knew," has 35 edited tracks in the folder.  The folder for that ONE song contains 1.33 GB, and my preliminary mix on that one song took me 39-1/2 hours.  Most songs are smaller, though (thank God).  Still I now currently have a total of 66.8 GB of songs recorded or in the works.  11,513 files.

It takes 14 CD's of MP3s to hold my current master catalog of recordings:  226 mp3s. 10 disks of finished or mostly finished songs, 4 disks of songs-in-the-works.

I am a composer - for about 45 years now - and at any one time I have up to 100 brand new songs in the rough stages.  I am a also a member of the BMI music rights organization, and I've so far copyrighted over 70 songs with the U.S. Copyright office.  I already have another 30 - 40 finished songs ready for copyright.  

Sorry for the long story.
The bottom line is that I am an experienced composer with 100 - 110 brand new songs in the rough stages.  Many of these rough recordings have 5 -10 tracks with a LOT of editing done to them.

I can't take the slightest risk of losing my last 500 - 600 hundred hours of editing!  I've been bitten in the ass by 'updated' software before! 

I need to know first if it's safe to install this software; I can't just download it and 'see if it works,' it may invalidate everything I've accomplished.

QUESTION:  Will my old wavs and sfk files, an all my previous cut & pasting, balancing, volumes reverb, etc  still work the SAME, with the SAME timing and all?  

Will all my old editing survive the new software?

Anyone have any ideas/input?

If necessary, I will finish out my last 100 songs using the old software (Sony Acid Music Studio 7). There are tremendous problems involved between WIN 10 and Sony Acid Music Studio 7.   I'd rather use current software.

If the only way to be sure is to keep all my old work away from the new software - I will.  I may have to buy a brand new computer, install the new software, and start recording any and all new songs on a separate computer.

I don't know where to find the answers . . . Anyone have any ideas/input?

- Alan

alan-b7280 wrote on 3/11/2021, 5:33 PM

Hmmm - does anyone here even HAVE Sony Aid Music Studio?

PATIENT-X wrote on 3/11/2021, 7:12 PM

@alan-b7280

Hello, Welcome

If you have backed up all of your media and project files. then download the trial version as @emmrecs has already suggested.

Pc self build by me.

Azza Pyramid 804 case

Intel Core i5-13600K Processor 3.5GHz

Kingston FURY Beast 32GB (16GB x 2) 4800MHz DDR5

Geforce RTX2080 Founders edition

Firecuda 530 1tb SSD Nvme

Team Group T-FORCE DELTA MAX RGB LITE 2.5" 1TB SATA III

Corsair RM1000x 80 PLUS Gold Fully Modular ATX 1000 Watt Power Supply

5in LCD Screen

Lian Li UNI SL120 V2 triple fans

MSI Meg Unify Z690 motherboard

alan-b7280 wrote on 3/11/2021, 11:59 PM

Yeah, thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Yeah, I back up everything at least once a week.

But usually newer versions of software will first remove all traces of the old software. And I CAN use my old software. If the new software doesn't work - and it has by then already erased my current software - then I'm up the creek without a paddle.

Yeah, I get it: the "theory" says 'yeah, it'll probably wok.'   But 'probably' is not good enough; not worth the slightest risk of my losing thousands of hours (literally, thousands of hours) of recording and editing songs. Sometimes I record and edit songs 40 hours a week.

Sony Aid Music Studio 7 is from 2006; the new software is 15 YEARS newer! Before I erase my old software, I need to be sure that all my wavs and sfk files, with all the previous cut & pasting, balancing, volumes reverb, etc,  will still appear & work & sound the same way. With no additional work required to 'adjust' the songs to the new software.

if it was just one song, I wouldn't worry about it, but I have a pretty large library of complex work, which would take me me seven years to re-create, and I'm still writing and recording new stuff all the time. I won't take even a 1% risk of that.

I was looking to see if anyone has had direct experience with importing WAV & SFK files from older versions to the newer version.

Crap. I'll probably get a new computer and install the new software, to segregate any problems.

Ah, well . . . thanks anyway, guys. I appreciate your suggestions.

alan-b7280 wrote on 3/12/2021, 12:20 AM

I was just talking to another recording artist on a band site.

He sent me a link to another post from this site, which indicates that it's pretty much impossible for me to use any of my old works with Acid 11.

The post - on this site - is "Several questions about AMS v11 and compatibility w/Acid Pro 8.0/9.0"

https://www.magix.info/us/forum/several-questions-about-ams-v11-and-compatibility-w-acid-pro-8-0-9-0--1224648/#ca1650316

I would've lost everything.

sheppo wrote on 3/12/2021, 12:58 AM

> I would've lost everything.

I'm not sure that's correct. I know in AP7/AMS10 days the two project files used to be fairly compatible, but not 100%. I have memories of being able to load AP7 projects in to AMS10, but there would be warnings if you used things specifically that AP7 could do but AMS10 could not. The only thing I ever saw warnings about was midi automation recording, iirc. manually created automation envelopes still worked fine though.

You can definitely could have AP7 and AMS10 installed at the same time; they both coexist on the same PC just fine. That should not have changed for AMS11. Personally I consider AP7 and AMS11 to be different vintages of the product - one developed by Sony, the other by Magix. There should be absolutely no harm in installing the demo, as others keep suggesting, and trying it out.

alan-b7280 wrote on 3/12/2021, 1:16 AM

Hmmm . . .