Comments

gandjcarr wrote on 1/7/2014, 7:11 PM

Hi,

What version of Web Site Maker are you using?  Some of the on-line web creation apps really don't scale or create the site for mobile apps.  Web site maker is a pretty basic site creation application and really geared toward the lower end of web site creation.  As such, it is pretty much a PC based creation app.  If you want to serve content to both a standalone PC and Mobile devices, you are going to need to look at something a little more robust.  I don't know if the latest version of web site maker offers both because I do not use any of these online apps to create any of my web sites.  They may be great or not, but the limitations of on-line web creation software is no where near as good as the stand alone applications where you have much more flexbibility and control over how, when and where the content gets published.

George

dav-lyn wrote on 1/9/2014, 12:07 PM

George,

Many thanks for the information.  I am using MX2013 version of Website Maker.  It is a bit cumbersome to use, but if you are patient enough it is reasonably feature rich - at least for the level of website I need.  I was a bit concerned that I might need to use another program.  Guess I will have to shop around.  Do you have a recommendation?  I am a proficient (not "power") user of Word and Power Point.  Something that works like those programs would be an easy fit for me.

gandjcarr wrote on 1/9/2014, 4:07 PM

Hi Dav-lynn,

I use the Xara Web Designer Premium product.  Having used Web Easy Professional, Adobe Dreamweaver, and Microsoft Frontpage in the past. I chose the Xara product because it has a logical work flow, great features and no need to understand any code whatsoever.  It is all drag and drop and I have yet to feel that I could not do something that I wanted to do with any of the web sites that I build.

I hope this helps

George

ps. I am not really a big fan of "cloud based applications" and this includes Microsoft.  Magix has not yet figured out how to make this technology work well.  The only company I know of that does this well is Adobe, but I find the Dreamweaver product requires a high level of technical skill, and a very non-intuitive work flow.  It is the later that is of most concern to me. 

johnebaker wrote on 1/12/2014, 7:14 AM

Hi

From the other side, how your site is displayed on different devices depends on the browser beibg used.

Trying to cater for all the browsers for mobile devices is not an easy task.  Safari in particular can be very difficult / quirky, particularly with what is standard HTML and should have been displayed correctly, as I found out a short while ago.

Also if you are using Javascript then some mobile browsers do not accept it and will not display the content controlled by Javascript - see here for a list of quirky browsers

Many web sites have in effect multiple styled sites and go to great lengths to detect the browser type and output the correct CSS styling format for that browser.

For this as George says you need a better / sophisticated web design product.

John

Last changed by johnebaker on 1/12/2014, 7:17 AM, changed a total of 2 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.