which instrument should i buy?

alex-almotaz wrote on 8/24/2018, 12:28 PM

Hey there, everyone,

I will try to be straight forward. which instrument currently on the music maker store is capable of preducing video game synth sounds from the early 2000's. If i was able to share a media file with the examples, i would but of course i can't...unless i'm missing something. The closest i could think of are some soundtrack pieces from the command and conquer game "red alert 2" and a mod for it called "mental omega".

I will try to leave links to some other examples...(i hope it's okay.)

black ice 9 - psychosis

Frank Klepacki - Infiltrator

I only want to know the genre/type of synth in those two examples so i can get them from the store. However, that doesn't mean that i'm not open for suggetions.

if you have ideas, questions or thoughts, let me know and i will try to responed.

E.V the newbie.

Comments

fan-boy wrote on 8/24/2018, 6:47 PM

early 2000's synth sounds ? didn't know there was a cliché for that .

Space Pad , Lead synth , Dn e1 , Cinematic synth , Cinematic Soundscape synth

music maker comes with ( Lead synth , Cinematic synth , and Cinematic Soundscape synth )

in music maker's in-app store , you can listen to some sample audio of the synthesizers .

I will post back , with more info , as I find out more .

your C&C psycho song ,.... "Space Pad" for the flowing synth sounds , or possibly use String Ensemble to make flowing synth sounds .

I also am hearing that Cinematic synth and Cinematic Soundscape should do some things that you want .

the only remaining synth to consider is Dn e1 .

for guitar , try some Vita 2 Power chords( comes with music maker ) , or buy "Power Chords" synth

for now I would say :

use Cinematic synth , use Lead synth , use Cinematic Soundscape synth , and buy Space Pad ( listen to the sample sounds of Space Pad in music maker's Store . )

alex-almotaz wrote on 8/25/2018, 5:09 AM

early 2000's synth sounds ? didn't know there was a cliché for that .

Space Pad , Lead synth , Dn e1 , Cinematic synth , Cinematic Soundscape synth

music maker comes with ( Lead synth , Cinematic synth , and Cinematic Soundscape synth )

in music maker's in-app store , you can listen to some sample audio of the synthesizers .

I will post back , with more info , as I find out more .

your C&C psycho song ,.... "Space Pad" for the flowing synth sounds , or possibly use String Ensemble to make flowing synth sounds .

I also am hearing that Cinematic synth and Cinematic Soundscape should do some things that you want .

the only remaining synth to consider is Dn e1 .

for guitar , try some Vita 2 Power chords( comes with music maker ) , or buy "Power Chords" synth

for now I would say :

use Cinematic synth , use Lead synth , use Cinematic Soundscape synth , and buy Space Pad ( listen to the sample sounds of Space Pad in music maker's Store . )

(Note: take the informations down below with a grain of salt. they are from what i coud understand and personal experiance.)

Well, i don't know if you are being sarcastic or your legitimately surprised , but either way, no, the examples do not necessarily fall under a curtain genre or cliche. maybe a style would be more accurate. This type of music was common in cheap or low budget computer games in the early 2000's, where there few good video games on the market.

The most notable features in those songs are the high pitch, sharpe synth sounds, sloppy transfer in notes and mediocre over all sound. However, that doesn't mean that all video game music where like that as composers quickly tried to add more instruments to there arsenal, quickly redirecting them to the now very common orcestral type music (but that doesn't mean some stayed with the style and improve upon it). It's safe to say that this type of music didn't last for too long. but i still personally like it for the same reason as vaporwave.

As for your suggestions, i did make a rough list of instruments i want to buy to try to replicate the style and i have to admit that never thought about the cinematic stuff. And THAT is why i asked. Thank you so much, that was really helpful.

some nerdy boi, E.V.

johnebaker wrote on 8/25/2018, 6:56 AM

@alex-almotaz

Hi

Like fan-boy I too was puzzled by the comment 'early 2000's synth sounds' .

. . . . the examples do not nessecerliy full under a curtien genre or cliche . . . .

AFAIK there is no such 'genre', if you are looking for a one-stop solution, then, AFAIK, one does not exist that can generate the genre style for you.

You will have to create the music/sound effects in the style of the 'genre' using the instruments suggested by fan-boy, however, IMHO, these may not give the true rough sound you are looking for because the instruments are much more polished than old synthesizers.

For the authentic old style synthesizers look for the following VST's

DSK Ethereal Padz, DSK Synthopia 2, DSK TechSynth, OB-Xd, TAL-NoiseMaker and Tyrell N6.

The last 3 in particular, are capable of creating the rough sound you need just like the real synthesizers.

HTH

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

fan-boy wrote on 8/26/2018, 1:19 PM

Space Pad , before String Ensemble . Space Pad can be made to sound somewhat like strings , however Space Pad can be tuned to Sounds that String Ensemble just can't do .

for more grind on the jam , Analogue synth might do it . I thought Analogue synth would be more smooth . No , Analogue synth is more grindy tonality . ( that's what I heared from the in-app sound sample )

"Space Pad" for the flowing string\synth parts , "Analogue synth" to give it a more riveting sound .

Grifter wrote on 11/22/2018, 8:47 AM

i bought cinematic synths but it is gone!!!!!

emmrecs wrote on 11/22/2018, 9:36 AM

@Grifter

Welcome to the Magix forums.

Please start a new thread with your question since it is clearly a very different problem to what the OP was asking for help with.

In the meantime it might be worth you doing a search in the forum for users with a similar question.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam