When Loading Audio file get message "Error occured while writing data"

henniej wrote on 3/28/2022, 4:26 AM

Audio Cleaning Lab 2014 (ACL14) using Windows 10 Core i3 Desktop: I have selected (built-up) several (17) music folders with ACL14 and exported successfully to hard disc. Now trying to load audio folder No.18 I get an Error message "Error occurred while writing data". ACL14 writes HM0 File as well as MAGIX MP3 project. This happens with every input music file. (previously while building the 17 folders I got this error message only a few times, but now it happens with every music file. It seems I must reload ACL14. Any suggestions?

Comments

SP. wrote on 3/28/2022, 4:33 AM

@henniej I would guess Windows is blocking ACL14 from accessing its import routines. Does it help if you run ACL14 as administrator (right click on the program icon) or in Windows 8 compability mode (right click on the program icon and then on properties)?

henniej wrote on 3/29/2022, 11:13 AM

Hi SP.

Thank-you for your suggestions. I have tried both but still no luck. What puzzles me is that I have successfully selected 17+14 folders, each with on average 25 files of music. Then I worked through the first  loaded 17 folders with ACL14 to clean up the records (similar volume, spacing, cleaning and export). Here and there this "Error occurred while writing data" happened during input, but seldom - the output into MAGIX was usable. There was no problem during export and all the music was fine. Now almost none of the audio folders can be loaded.

I have re-loaded ACL14 completely but it did not help. I have now deleted ACL14 completely and are going to download it from scratch. Hope this help. Any suggestions are welcome.

It did not help either. Since the problem does not seem to be in MAGIX, I have updated my Windows 10 and that does not solve the problem either. Where can I look for a solution?

SP. wrote on 3/29/2022, 4:05 PM

@henniej Have you installed ACL14 under Program Files? This is a folder that is protected by Windows and Windows doesn't allow many things there. I install all my Magix programs under C:\Users\MyWindowsUsername\MAGIX\ and never had a problem.

henniej wrote on 3/30/2022, 2:52 AM

Hi SP.

I have never controlled where programs are loaded, but normally they load at Program Files (x86), with no problems so far. I have now moved the entire MAGIX folder to C:\Users\User, but it still gets the Error. Looking at the Desktop 's MAGIX icon's Location, it reads AMLAB(C:\Program Files (x86)\MAGIX\Audio Cleaning Lab 2014). How can I get it to look at \Users\User, or must I rather delete MAGIX entirely and reinstall? Where do I specify that it must load at \User\User?

emmrecs wrote on 3/30/2022, 4:00 AM

@henniej

You can edit the Properties screen of the desktop icon to point to exactly where the program is now located.

For future reference in situations like this, there is a very useful app called Application Mover which allows the user to move applications from one location/drive to another and ensures that all linked items, like desktop icons, are also modified to reflect the new location(s).

@SP.

Although I deliberately choose to install the majority of all my programs, Magix and non-Magix, to a dedicated drive (D:\) I have never encountered a problem of Windows restricting access to the normal default of C:\Program Files or C:\Progam Files (x86).

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

SP. wrote on 3/30/2022, 4:02 AM

@henniej You cannot just move the folder. You need to uninstall and reinstall the program.

SP. wrote on 3/30/2022, 4:09 AM

@emmrecs Nearly all programs I use install additional files (preferences, user settings) under C:\ProgramData or C:\Users\MyWindowsUsername\AppData or in the Documents folder. This is because Microsoft restricted the access to the program files directories and wants the applications and settings separated and to be stored under different folders for security reasons.

henniej wrote on 3/30/2022, 5:33 AM

Thank-you SP., emmrecs and Jeff

I have deleted everything of MAGIX from my PC and then downloaded the ACL2014 Installation program as well as the Instructions, both showing under C:/Users/User/Downloads. When the Installation Manager showed Preparing for Installation where I normally chose Standard, I selected Custom, which allowed me to change the destination to C:/Users/User/MAGIX, as SP. suggested. After the Installation Launcher ran I tested MAGIX and now it WORKS!!

Thank-you all very much.

HennieJ42