When I try to FTP using WS FTP I get error message "501 port is disabled"

lvasquez.lct1 wrote on 8/17/2013, 1:10 PM

I am having a very hard time trying to get a couple of things going on my website:

1- If I use magix web FTP, the index.htm file I try to upload will not overwrite the current index.htm file.

2 -If I try to upload my files using WS FTP, I get an error message that says "501 port is disabled."

I would prefer to use magix web FTP as it is so easy to use. It just won't overwrite my files. Very frustrating.

I am using all the required info in setting up the ftp: server/host: ftp.magix-online.com user name: my email that is registered with magix, and my magix password. What am I missing?

Comments

gandjcarr wrote on 8/17/2013, 2:27 PM

Hi,

When you go to the ftp site, why don't you just delete the "index" file and upload the new one.  If you do this, I hope you know what you are doing because otherwise the new index file WILL control how the site looks, and if you have not set it up the way you want it to work correctly, you will have problems.

George

johnebaker wrote on 8/17/2013, 6:14 PM

Hi

. . . . error message that says "501 port is disabled . . . 

A 501 error means WS_FTP is trying to use Active FTP transfer mode - this is not required for most FTP sites - and should only be used if the hosting provider specifically says to use this mode.

If Georges suggestion fails - try setting WS_FTP ( I prefer Filezilla) to use passive transfer mode ie port 21..

Added: - if the host requires Active mode FTP transfer and you have a software or hardware Firewall ensure that WS_FTP can open any ports it requires - these will be in the range 20 - 1023

HTH

John

Last changed by johnebaker on 8/18/2013, 2:39 AM, changed a total of 6 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

gandjcarr wrote on 8/18/2013, 4:34 AM

HI,

Actually John has the better and longer term solution by suggesting filezilla.  When I suggested you delete the file, I was actually thinking of doing it with filezilla.   I only use filezilla when I ftp files.

You can download it here.  Just make sure you download the filezilla client to do this.

https://filezilla-project.org/

George