when are any improvements applied when cleaning? Cleaning Lab 3

Dave-Williams9210 wrote on 10/21/2021, 8:06 AM

I'm new to this programme and whilst I understand (most of) the actual cleaning process, I don't understand when any of the filtering etc. is applied to the track(s), so excuse me if it's a dumb question. My reason for saying this is that even though I run any of the filters and they work whith before or after caparisons, the actual track doesn't appear to change until it's save. I would have expected an "apply changes now" or similar function, so the same bit of material can be worked on again.

Comments

browj2 wrote on 10/21/2021, 9:15 AM

@Dave-Williams9210

Hi,

SFACL is a non-destructive audio editor and is Project-based, so any changes that you make and any effects that you add are live and can still removed or edited within the project. You can save the Project and continue working on it in another session. No changes are permanent in the Project (for the most part). When you Export, you get a rendered version. You can always start a new project with the rendered file and work on that, but you will not be able to undo or change any of the effects that you made in the other project, unless you reopen the original Project.

SFACL uses the original audio file(s) so do not overwrite it. Always export to a new filename.

I would have expected an "apply changes now" or similar function, so the same bit of material can be worked on again.

As I pointed out, there is no need. You apply effects as needed. Do some noise reduction. Apply some compression and some reverb. Apply more effects. Adjust the volume along the object. They are all there and done together. You don't apply one effect, then render, then apply another effect. They all work together.

Note that you can have effects applied to an object and/or a track.

John CB

Last changed by browj2 on 10/21/2021, 9:22 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

Dave-Williams9210 wrote on 10/21/2021, 10:10 AM

Thanks for you response, my point is that once for example, you have applied the noise reduction, the version that you go meaning that you cannot evaluate the effect of both effects on the original source.

browj2 wrote on 10/23/2021, 10:07 AM

@Dave-Williams9210

Hi,

...my point is that once for example, you have applied the noise reduction, the version that you go meaning that you cannot evaluate the effect of both effects on the original source.

I don't understand what you mean. If you apply one effect, Noise Reduction, what is the other effect?

If you apply Noise Reduction then playback, you hear the result of the noise reduction. If you now add some Reverb, you will hear the result of the noise reduction and the reverb applied to the source. If you add a third effect, you hear the combined result. That is why you play back and adjust the effects as you add them. Applying a second effect does not cancel the first effect.

If you just want to hear the source, turn on FX Bypass at the right of the Arranger.

If you want to hear the combined effect minus the one that you are adding, turn the effect off or use Bypass for the effect.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Dave-Williams9210 wrote on 10/25/2021, 11:01 AM

Thanks John, my point is that if I try to remove clicks and crackles, if I play the same section again and with the same settings the graphics have the same profile as on the original and it doesn't sound as if the track has been cleaned, which to me suggests that the first attempt at cleaning hasn't worked. also does this mean that with this particular effect you have to play through the whole track to apply the Declicker/DeCrackler? sorry to be a pain, but I work a lot with 78's and I don't feel that I'm getting what I need from the programme at the moment.

Dave W

browj2 wrote on 10/25/2021, 8:40 PM

@Dave-Williams9210

Hi Dave,

if I play the same section again and with the same settings the graphics have the same profile as on the original and it doesn't sound as if the track has been cleaned, which to me suggests that the first attempt at cleaning hasn't worked. also does this mean that with this particular effect you have to play through the whole track to apply the Declicker/DeCrackler?

Do you have the DeClicker/DeCrackler still turned on - meaning the effect shows up in blue when you are elsewhere?

If so, is there a marked difference in what you hear when you go to the DeClicker/DeCrackler effect and play back and when you turn it off?

The effects don't change the waveform in the arranger. Here is an example of a very bad file. Applying DeClicker and DeCrackler does nothing to the waveform. However, you see the results in the fx screen so that you can make adjustments. You can also hear the results. This one is drastic, so the audible difference is easy to detect between the effect on and off. I added in the clicks part way through.

Here, I added another effect, DeClipper:

However, changing the volume or volume curve affects the waveform.

Note that the two effects are still active, the light is on, and I can hear the combined results.

Adding other effects does not change the waveform, but you can hear the combined result.

The one other effect that does change the waveform is Spectral cleaning.

Before:

Corresponding range showing waveform:

Going to remove a bad part:

Result after removing 4 bad parts:

With spectral turned off - you can see the modified waveform:

Rats, I should have put the effects on the object, not the project. I wanted to export then import the exported wave file without the effects being applied to the imported file. .

Anyway, it works but it's not exactly what I wanted. I added reverb to track 1 and exported again. Here is the image with the exported wave imported to track 2 and with reverb added, ex/imported and put on track 3.

You can see the resulting wave files are different from the original - track 1.

In the DeClicker/DeCrackler, I suggest that you click on the help ? button and read how it works.

BTW, I am using SFACL1

John CB

John C.B.

browj2 wrote on 10/25/2021, 9:00 PM

@Dave-Williams9210

One more thing, when in the DeClicker/DeCrackler, click on Inverse to hear what is being removed. If you set Crackles to 0 and Clicks up a bit from the bottom, you should hear mostly silence and maybe the odd click. Move the slider up more, and you should hear more of the clicks that are being removed.

Again, read the help part and try out various settings. Note the part about how to use the click markers.

John CB

John C.B.