What Laptop

Albert-Tatlock wrote on 2/7/2024, 1:21 PM

Good morning.

Over the last 20 years I’ve been using your good selves to help me secure a beautiful legacy for my Grandchildren in the respect of beautifully digitised vinyl catalogue of wonderful noise.

Then Mrs Tatlock drops the bombshell:

“That there PC has got to go!”

You try arguing with her!

I’m looking to getting an Audio-Technica USB turntable, which might make things easier.

However one question I haven’t managed to find an answer for on any forums is what spec I need to be looking for in a laptop (if indeed is possible) for vinyl conversion.

I wonder if you have any advice for me.

With all the best.

Albert

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 2/7/2024, 1:40 PM

@Albert-Tatlock

Hi

I would suggest you get the following (in general terms) which willl provide some future proofing.

• Intel processor with integrated GPU, preferably at least a generation 10 or later eg i5-10xxx or i7-10xxx. 

• A Nvidia RTX 20xx series GPU minimum, if funds allow, a RTX30xx series - this will do the majority of any hardware acceleration. when required.

• 16Gb of RAM minimum

• 512GB minimum SSD drive for Windows and programs, and a second hard drive, or SSD if funds allow, at least 2TB as a working disc.

Working with external USB drives can be done, however you may have to make some changes in the programs settings to optimise performance.

• Windows 11

• A laptop that allows for both integrated Intel and Nvidia GPU's to be used together - sometimes called Hybrid mode.

Do note the only manufacturer who advertise this feature is Lenovo, other manufacturers and suppliers I contacted, when looking for a new laptop, were unable to confirm if this was possible or asked the question 'Why would you want to do this?' I did not pursue the 'questioners' further.

Things to avoid:

1. AMD processor based systems.

2. A laptop with a 15" screen - this is too small for video editing comfortably, I find 17" to be more comfortable see the specs in my signature.

3. Notebook style laptops - heavy CPU and GPU use can generate a lot of heat which needs dissipating.

HTH

John EB
Forum Moderator

Last changed by johnebaker on 2/7/2024, 1:51 PM, changed a total of 3 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Albert-Tatlock wrote on 2/9/2024, 3:20 PM

John. That's fantastic advice and I'd best start saving.

Would digging my heels in about staying with a PC make things more affordable?

Cheers

Albert