What files are safe to delete when working with Movie Studio?

Eric-Elliott wrote on 8/12/2024, 11:09 AM

Ok, now that I have FINALLY succeeded in making two complete videos now!!! Yes, create projects with voice over and all, linked projects into final project, inserted transitions and everything I have been trying to do! Now that two are complete (and very cringe for now) I have a real mess in Movie Studio or I should say my PC hard drive where everything went when saving and such. I will be getting an external HDD (mechanical for now) set up for additional storage (the Project files and such don't take up much ,but those MXV and eventual MP4 files can be nasty).
I am wondering if any of the following files can be deleted:

_mxv (magix sounds)
.HO
_0001 (magix sounds)
BAK0.mv_
-0001.HO
-0001 (magix sounds)
-0002 (magix sounds)
-0003HO

Of course, I don't want to delete any .wav or project files or jpgs or exported MXV files.

I'm just trying to clean it up and stay clean so if I need to go back to any projects I did and the like I don't have to try to find the correct file in the mess. I have folders for each project, but I have the mess described above in each folder as well.
This doesn't count the potential mess inside the program before I made another place to store what I am working on and the like. I have to figure that out as well although it may ne be that messy with the little bit I did at first.

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 8/12/2024, 3:41 PM

Hi Eric

. . . . any of the following files can be deleted: . . . .

You can delete all files that end in: .H0 or .HDP these will be recreated if you go back to a project to re-edit it.

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Eric-Elliott wrote on 8/12/2024, 4:30 PM

Hi Eric

. . . . any of the following files can be deleted: . . . .

You can delete all files that end in: .H0 or .HDP these will be recreated if you go back to a project to re-edit it.

John EB

Thank you, at least that is some. All those are not that big like I said, they just clutter things up. I am making a folder for each "Project" if you will and sticking all the files created for said project and the final ones in the appropriate folder. I want to hook up an external HDD (mechanical not SSD for now as I don't have external SSDs at present, but saving up to get a couple). The mechanical drive will make things a bit slower, but that doesn't bother me at all.
I will also start making backups of my finished projects / MP4s later as I get better and my videos are so cringe. I'll get there.
I'm so glad everything is working now and I am finally seeing the flow of how things work. It took at least 5 months just to get here. Yikes!

After a number more of these projects I will be moving to live takes with a video camera. There will be different challenges with that, but maybe it won't be so bad. I think the biggest challenge will be filming set up. It is going to be very hard without a field monitor and I have no way of attaching one of those to my camera.

One thing I will want to learn is "cutting" and "inserting" maybe when I get there. That might prove fairly challenging for me, I don't know. However, one idea I came up with for when I go to do that is to make short videos (5 minutes or something) so I don't need to cut them and do other things at least most of the time. I can just make a 15 minute video into 3 parts or something. I won't do a 20 minute video unless it is a demo or something focused on one thing, Then all I do is attach an intro or outro if needed. I'm not really going to concern myself with those until maybe later though. I think Intros and outros are over-rated.