Well this is a first, from upgrading many, many times already

mike-wallace wrote on 4/22/2021, 10:30 PM

So I've been upgrading Music Maker for years now, but for some reason, this year's upgrade to 2021 premium is all acting strange. so after trying now 4 times I give up. it says to put in my 2021 premium key code so I put it in hit the activate and nothing. it doesn't error it does nothing but change color to show it being pressed but that it. I also have 33 instruments that only shows 2 or three bought I own all the presets but it shows none bought, and I have many upon many sound pools which shows when I go to loops but doesn't show in the store, my account name is showing an I'm logged in. I even deleted my anti-virus to see if that was the issue but still nothing. I've directly used the download from my Magix account in my email and tried again with my account directly from Magix under my software or my account whichever it is it downloads fine updates but when I try to put the key code it does nothing, and I'm definitely putting the code in right, but I can lave it blank it does the same thing anyway. I've done this process many times now no problem but for some reason this time got to be an issue. Since I've got AVast I noticed many issues with stuff not be allowed so that why I deleted it right off my P.C. I just build this new P.C 5 months ago and its got 2080 super, 32gbs Corsaire pro 3200 thor 1200 everything liquid-cooled with a ryuijin to 8 corsairs QL 120 an i5 9600k 7k I spent on it so its not my hardware lacking performance, windows 10 pro. Does anyone think they know the issue or had a similar issue? Thank you for any assistance provided, and a big thank you early for the one who can figure out the issue. Bless

i5 9600k, 32gbs Corsair pro 3200, RTX 2080super GPU, ryuijin 240, Strix z390 mobo, thor 1200 platinum power supply, 3 QL 140 mm fans, 6 QL120mm fans, helios case, commander corsair, 500Gb WD nvme m.2, 1TB nvme m.2, 1 TB sd, 5TB HD pro cable mod pro series, Magix pro x, vegas pro, vegas movie studio, music maker, Acid Pro, samplitude music studio, sound forge,xara designer pro x,photostory deluxe, web designer, photo designer, hitfilm pro, ableton live, FL studio, mix crafter pro

Comments

SP. wrote on 4/23/2021, 12:53 AM

@mike-wallace Did you try to go into the program settings and click on the button to clean up the store? This will delete the old cache which can cause issues like this.

emmrecs wrote on 4/23/2021, 4:44 AM

@mike-wallace

In addition to what @SP. has written and just for clarification, please: did you pay to upgrade to MM 2021, aka version 29, or did you merely update from MM 2020, version 28?

Because the latest version is the first 64 bit build, Magix regard it as a new program, which must be purchased, either "new" or as an upgrade from an earlier version. If you simply updated what you now have is MM 2021 Free. Quite a number of users have been caught out by this!

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Samplitude Pro X7 Suite, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

browj2 wrote on 4/23/2021, 6:40 AM

@mike-wallace

And, whether or not you paid, you will find that you have to click on Downloads, and download and install everything that is there. Your Magix instruments will be updated to the 64 bit version, as will some other things.

Under Loops, you have to click on the parameter button, Add Soundpools and navigate to the root folder. The new version does not do this automatically.

Under Program Settings, Folders, you may have to indicate the paths to your VST's.

There is only one version of the program - MMM2021. Premium is not the program, it's an edition that gives you presets, features, Soundpools and instruments. Premium 2021 requires MusicMaker 2021.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

emmrecs wrote on 4/23/2021, 7:13 AM

@browj2

Hi John.

I don't think that what you've written above is correct, sorry.

My understanding (borne out by the number of users who've posted here because they've "lost" features etc, after updating) is that merely updating without paying for the upgrade does NOT automatically allow all the previously-owned instruments, soundpools etc. to be downloaded and installed for the new version. MM 2021 Free allows only 8 tracks, no VSTs etc., etc..

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Samplitude Pro X7 Suite, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

browj2 wrote on 4/23/2021, 9:49 AM

@emmrecs

Hi Jeff,

What you get by upgrading the version to MMM2021, but not upgrading Plus or Premium to 2021, is almost the same as what you had. Of course, one does not get the new 2021 features, but all of the old ones should work. Song Maker is gone, third party VST 32 bit plugins don't work anymore, but that is about all.

The fact that some users did not get everything is an anomaly. I got everything that I had before (except Song Maker).

If you never had a Plus or Premium version, you would not have access to VST's or more than 8 tracks, but I would expect that the instruments that came with the previous free version would be upgraded to the 64 bit version, and they do. Thus, the elements of the previous free version get upgraded to 64 bits; this would be the same as installing the new free version for the first time.

I recorded everything when I upgraded the program to MMM2021 - before upgrading the Edition to Premium 2021. I purposely did not do it, just to see what came up. In fact, the first time round, I did not even log in.

Without logging in, my instruments showed up locked under the Instruments tab. However, I was able to open one, Accordion using the track header + button and it loaded the 64bit version. I noticed that all of my Magix instruments had been changed to 64 bits without me having done anything except upgrade to the new Version.

As soon as I logged in, I had access to my instruments and there were a lot of presets and features to be downloaded and installed under Downloads.

As far as I know, Music Maker detects previous purchases (Activated Content) of Plus and Premium, especially since one should have put the serial numbers into MMM in previous versions, so any instruments, presets and features that you had will be upgraded without having to purchase Premium2021. As I said, all of my previous instruments were upgraded without me doing anything, everything else was under Downloads, which I downloaded and installed.

A check of the Activated Content list shows all previous programs activated.

Soundpools do not change or get deleted; they are still there but MMM does not automatically scan the Soundpools folder. All you have to do is indicate the path to the root folder and they all show up.

At this point, I still had not upgraded to Premium2021.

I will describe that process next, as Bernadette is demanding that she take me for a walk.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Graham-Hawker wrote on 4/23/2021, 10:27 AM

@browj2

Hi John.

I don't think that what you've written above is correct, sorry.

My understanding (borne out by the number of users who've posted here because they've "lost" features etc, after updating) is that merely updating without paying for the upgrade does NOT automatically allow all the previously-owned instruments, soundpools etc. to be downloaded and installed for the new version. MM 2021 Free allows only 8 tracks, no VSTs etc., etc..

Jeff

John is correct. I have The free version and have added all the stuff I had with the previous version Premium edition. I can add as many tracks as I want as I had more tracks and features from that version. All the instruments were updated to 64 bit versions. The only thing I added was the VST bridge to access third party 32 bit plug ins. The reason I haven't bought the 2021 version is that there is really nothing much left worth buying it for. Especially once I got Samplitude Music Studio in the Fanatical bundle which added a bunch of additional synths.

I tend to think that people who have "lost" things aren't doing things right. The only time I "lost" stuff was after a recent update when I couldn't log into the shop straight away. But all was fine after closing and reopening.

browj2 wrote on 4/23/2021, 1:29 PM

@Graham-Hawker

Hi Graham,

Thanks for confirming.

@emmrecs

Hi Jeff,

I looked at the dates of the 32 and 64 bit Magix synths and they are almost all in Oct. 2017, with a few in Dec. 2017. Strange how that got done. So, the 64 bit versions were already available.

After checking that everything worked, the next step was to activate Premium 2021. As soon as I did that, the following screen popped up:

and the credits showed up instantly under Manage Account/Redeem Credits and in the various screens of the Store.

Checking Downloads, I had a persistent Revolta Plus presets (it kept popping up under Downloads before activating Premium2021), and two new items for downloading and installing: Volume Former and Song Maker. That's it. Everything else on the above list activated automatically.

Everything old (except for the old Song Maker) and new was there and working.

I did notice that a few instruments would not open correctly when a sub-instrument was selected. That has mostly, if not entirely disappeared with Store cleanups, I guess. They did open if I clicked on the icon in the header without selecting a sub-instrument.

Also, with the version that was available when I activated (probably the first one), there were about 50 Magix Store Download - Download Failed messages that had to be clicked on before being able to continue. That has been corrected.

I am wondering if the initial install exe has been changed as there were a lot of problems including crashes. On the other hand, these could probably be avoided by updating to the latest patch immediately upon MMM2021 starting up the first time. From my screen captures, I see 29.0.0.13 as the initial version installed.

There are users complaining about MMM2021 asking them to put in the serial number each time. It doesn't. If the Start Dialog is opened to the Manage Account page, then the field is always there. It is not asking one to put in a serial number, but users seem to think that it is. If you have one, put it in. If you buy an Edition, like EDM or HipHop, you activate it by putting the serial number in the box and activating - one time only. Once done, don't do it again. The only place to know whether or not it worked is under Help, Music Maker Store, Activated Content. As well, there is no other place indicating that you have Plus or Premium - because these are Editions, not Versions.

To summarize, if you upgrade the program to the 2021 version, you get what you had before except for Song Maker. If you then upgrade to an Edition that you paid for, like Premium 2021, you get more, as per the Magix.com site. Users should keep the previous Version until they are sure that everything works in the new Version of Music Maker 2021.

We should always make a distinction between Versions of the program and Editions. The program, Music Maker, has Versions that are 2020 (28.x.x.xx), 2021 (29.x.x.xx), etc. Plus and Premium are Editions, not Versions, using Magix jargon. Of course, the Edition may need at least the corresponding program version in order to work.

Is this clearer now, or did I muddy the waters even more?

John CB

John C.B.

johnebaker wrote on 4/23/2021, 2:53 PM

@browj2, @emmrecs

Hi John, Jeff

I was one of the users who had the issues Jeff is referring to.

After the upgrade of MMM 2020 Premium to MMM 2021, the program activated using the MMM 2020 serial number and the older versions I had.

MMM2021 was behaving as the free version and would only download the Instruments that came with the free version of 2021. The Soundpools from earlier versions were 'reusable' after downloading them again for 'conversion'.

Anything 32 bit ie Instruments, features and functions from the 2020 Premium version were not available, and tracks were limited to 8.

It was not until MMM 2021 was activated with the new MMM 2021 specific serial number, that all the Instruments, features and functions were released and full functionality was restored. This included the VST Bridge to be able to use other 32 bit Instruments I had.

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 4/23/2021, 2:55 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

browj2 wrote on 4/23/2021, 3:33 PM

@johnebaker

Hi John EB,

Was this the first install when MMM2021 came out?

For me, the only instrument that was removed and replaced was the Concert Grand LE. All instruments were still there and active once I logged in, well before activating Premium 2021. There were times later on, I believe, when some instruments kept showing up along with other things under Downloads.

Do you know if you had the 64 bit versions of instruments installed prior to upgrading to MMM2021? The dates on mine seem to indicate that they were already there - both 32 and 64 bit versions installed at the same time in 2017.

I find it strange that your install of just MMM2021 without the Premium2021 edition did not detect everything prior to that once logged in.

John CB

John C.B.

Graham-Hawker wrote on 4/23/2021, 3:37 PM
After the upgrade of MMM 2020 Premium to MMM 2021, the program activated using the MMM 2020 serial number and the older versions I had.

I'm confused by this sentence. How could Music Maker 2021 be activated with a 2020 serial number?

johnebaker wrote on 4/23/2021, 3:56 PM

@browj2

Hi John

. . . . Was this the first install when MMM2021 came out? . . .

It was with the first install and 2 subsequent re-installs up to Feb 2021 I have not tested since.

@Graham-Hawker

Hi Graham

. . . . How could Music Maker 2021 be activated with a 2020 serial number? . . . .

Music Maker will pick up and use previous version serial numbers for Soundpools and Instruments, however as MMM 2021 is 64 bit and the VST Bridge was not available none of the MMM 2020 Instruments could be used and the 64 bit features and functions of the Premium version were not available.

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Graham-Hawker wrote on 4/24/2021, 4:02 AM
Hi Graham

. . . . How could Music Maker 2021 be activated with a 2020 serial number? . . . .

Music Maker will pick up and use previous version serial numbers for Soundpools and Instruments, however as MMM 2021 is 64 bit and the VST Bridge was not available none of the MMM 2020 Instruments could be used and the 64 bit features and functions of the Premium version were not available.

John EB

I have to admit that I still don't get this. Perhaps because I installed 2021 a bit later and the first thing I did was add the VST bridge I never encountered any problems. Everything was always available for me.

johnebaker wrote on 4/24/2021, 4:11 AM

@Graham-Hawker

Hi Graham

. . . . I installed 2021 a bit later and the first thing I did was add the VST bridge I never encountered any problems . . . .

Was MMM 2021 was installed previously either on this computer or another, or a first install?

If a first install then I am puzzled how you got the VST Bridge.

John EB

Graham-Hawker wrote on 4/24/2021, 4:34 AM

@Graham-Hawker

Hi Graham

. . . . I installed 2021 a bit later and the first thing I did was add the VST bridge I never encountered any problems . . . .

Was MMM 2021 was installed previously either on this computer or another, or a first install?

If a first install then I am puzzled how you got the VST Bridge.

John EB

I had 2019 Premium installed and updated. I just installed Music Maker 2021 additionally (a few weeks after release) and bought the VST Bridge from the shop with a coupon. I'm not sure how long the gap between installing and getting the bridge but it was only a few days.

However thinking back, although I did get VST Bridge, I have a feeling that initially Music Maker might have been using the VST bridge from a Samplitude Music Studio trial I had loaded. However as far as remember it was always available in the shop.

johnebaker wrote on 4/24/2021, 7:10 AM

@Graham-Hawker

Hi Graham

. . . . and bought the VST Bridge from the shop  . . . .

That is the difference - I did not buy the VST Bridge and I think the other users who have had the same issues did not know about this - they just saw the popup that looked like a standard patch and updated not realising what would happen.

John EB

browj2 wrote on 4/24/2021, 7:28 AM

@johnebaker

Hi John,

When I upgraded to MMM2021 without putting in the serial number for Premium2021, my instruments all worked as soon as I logged in, and, as I pointed out, the 64 bit version of each Magix instrument was already on my computer. How that came about, I have no idea. Again, all instruments, bot 32 and 64 bit dll's, were dated as late 2017. I did not have the VST bridge either and did not test any third party plugins (effects or VSTi's).

I would like to know what exactly happened to others. After upgrading to MMM2021, logging in, but without upgrading to Premium or Plus 2021, did the instruments work - meaning did the user already have the 64 bit version? Or, did everyone else have to download and install the 64 bit version of their Magix instruments?

Once again, and to keep things straight, no activation is required to get MMM2021 to run; it is free. It's Premium, Plus, à la carte new features, or other Editions that get activated, not the program.

John CB

John C.B.

browj2 wrote on 4/24/2021, 9:30 AM

Further to my last post, I just went through the capture files that I made of upgrading to MMM2021 on my laptop. Everything was about the same. The 32 and 64 bit dll's of Magix instruments were already on my computer, at least the dates show 2017. Without activating Premium 2021, the instruments showed and worked after logging in. I did not have to download and install the 64 bit versions of these instruments.

VST plugins indicating that they were 32 bit versions returned a message that I would need the 32 bit bridge (or a 64 bit version), as predicted.

So, I'm two for two of getting all Magix instruments working with no problem after upgrading to MMM2021 after logging, still without activating Premium 2021.

The question is then, why do some users have a different experience?

John CB

John C.B.

johnebaker wrote on 4/24/2021, 4:06 PM

@browj2

Hi John

. . . . the 64 bit version of each Magix instrument was already on my computer. How that came about, I have no idea . . . . .

Could Samplitude be playing a part in this?

I am currently building a fresh installation of Windows 10 and MMM2020 to see if my previous experience was related to an earlier updater which had upgraded to v29.0.2.16.

John EB

mike-wallace wrote on 4/24/2021, 9:54 PM

So I figured it out on the page where it wanted me to show the code for some reason it fixed the problem by logging out of there. I just happen to just try it an when I did it showed the update. Does anyone know why it would require that? Cuz it showed my account logged in but when I logged out it all fixed it self very weird I don’t understand why that would happen.

i5 9600k, 32gbs Corsair pro 3200, RTX 2080super GPU, ryuijin 240, Strix z390 mobo, thor 1200 platinum power supply, 3 QL 140 mm fans, 6 QL120mm fans, helios case, commander corsair, 500Gb WD nvme m.2, 1TB nvme m.2, 1 TB sd, 5TB HD pro cable mod pro series, Magix pro x, vegas pro, vegas movie studio, music maker, Acid Pro, samplitude music studio, sound forge,xara designer pro x,photostory deluxe, web designer, photo designer, hitfilm pro, ableton live, FL studio, mix crafter pro

mike-wallace wrote on 4/24/2021, 10:02 PM

I really appreciate the time you all invested on helping me it’s great there are people that are willing to help others. Also someone made a comment if I purchased it or not I buy everything, an I bought Vegas, pro x, an Vegas movie studio, got Zara designer pro x, just need one more instrument in music make to of bought them all. I’m a loyal Magix customer I have a couple friends who say why buy it when you can get them for free then there hard drive does an they have nothing. I believe just pay once an be done with it, but again you all we’re great an I appreciate your help more than y out know even if I found the problem. Thank you an god bless you all

browj2 wrote on 4/26/2021, 10:02 AM

. . . . the 64 bit version of each Magix instrument was already on my computer. How that came about, I have no idea . . . . .

Could Samplitude be playing a part in this?

@johnebaker

Hi John EB,

I was wondering the same thing, but after comparing the list of instruments that came with Samplitude against what I have, I many more that did not come with Samplitude and I have both 32 and 64 bit dll's. As well, I received and installed Samplitude Pro X3 in October of 2016, but all dll's are dated Oct-Dec 2017.

The path that I'm using is: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\MAGIX Services\MxSynth

This contains both 32 and 64 bit dll's.

The following path contains the presets: C:\Users\Public\Documents\MAGIX\Common\MxSynth

There are also presets under: C:\ProgramData\MAGIX\Music Maker\29\fx-preset\FXBStore

John CB

Last changed by browj2 on 4/26/2021, 10:06 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

John C.B.

johnebaker wrote on 4/26/2021, 10:57 AM

@browj2

Hi John

. . . . C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\MAGIX Services\MxSynth . . . This contains both 32 and 64 bit dll's. . . .

Same here except mine are all dated Oct 2016 !

Added:  

Installing MMM 2020 on a new vanilla installation Windows 10 machine, the current Instrument installers are installing both 32 and 64 bit versions of the instrument dll's and they are all dated Oct 2016.

Side note Windows Defender still causes installation issues 😖

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 4/26/2021, 1:32 PM, changed a total of 1 times.