website music

graham-whitlock wrote on 2/17/2010, 12:39 PM
Hello,
I am interested in adding music to my website. I realise that I can purchase non copyright tunes but I understand I would still need to purchase a licence at a cost of about £50 per year to do this. Is this true? I realise that Magix do not charge to add music to the website however in the UK i understand that in order to play music on a website I would need to purchase a performing rights licence at a minimum of £50 per year even if the music is non or out of copyright.
Graham

Comments

Former user wrote on 2/18/2010, 2:24 AM
Hey,

i do not understand your questions. please describe this again.
What Website Maker do you have? Adding music to your site is allowed.

best regards,
Revolver
bobbynuts wrote on 3/8/2010, 6:06 PM
Its complicated ...and it depends where you live and what you are doing with the music.

for UK residents have a look at this website which may help.... or it may just make your head spin some more.
http://www.theiac.org.uk/central/copyright-clearance-scheme.htm 

So far as I know if you buy/pay for non-copyright music you are buying a licence to use it according to the sellers terms of use (which usually means not for broadcast on TV or radio and not for resale) but check the terms.

if you have paid for non-copyright music for use on your own website you should be covered without a PR licence but there may be limitations depending on the size / poularity of your website and what content is on your website. keep your invoices as evidence of who you paid for what tracks.

But thats only my interpretation. professional legal advice would be a great help ... any lawyers out there ....
hope that helps