waveform moves away from marker point when zooming in on soundforge 17

chris-long wrote on 8/29/2023, 5:58 AM

1.waveform moves away from marker point when zooming..
description isn't so easy. slightly more detail:
the wave form moves away from the marker point when zooming...the marker stays at the correct point on the time bar but the wave form jumps backwards or forwards in relation to it, when i zoom in or out.

2. when pressing play the start point is after cursor but only on first press, subsequent presses of play are correct. i'm using windows 11 and their classic wave driver.

i'm using a brand new asus vivibook with windows 11 and their classic wave driver

Comments

SP. wrote on 8/29/2023, 6:31 AM

@chris-long Are you editing compressed audio files? This can lead to problems in the waveform display. There is an option called 'always proxy compressed files' in the preferences.

chris-long wrote on 8/29/2023, 6:37 AM

thankyou for your reply SP. no i am editing uncompressed wavs and mp3s

SP. wrote on 8/29/2023, 8:02 AM

@chris-long Uncompressed mp3 files don't exist.

rraud wrote on 8/29/2023, 11:14 AM

waveform moves away from marker point when zooming..

Try check-marking "Disable auto-snapping below 1:4 zoom ratios" in the "Options> Preferences> Editing" menu.

or try disabling 'Snapping' in the 'Options' menu all together or just some of the sub items like 'Grid'.
..however, disabling (snap to) Zero crossings may create a pop or bump noise when you edit the waveform.

pressing play the start point is after cursor but only on first press, subsequent presses of play are correct.

Is "Seek cursor on playback" enabled in the 'Options' menu?

btw, welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users community @chris-long.

chris-long wrote on 8/29/2023, 11:44 AM

thank you rraud. options-preferences does not have a sub menu called editing
my snapping box shows
enable - f8,
grid - ctrl+f8,
markers - shift +f8
snap to event edges - ctrl + shift +f8
zero crossings - ctrl + B, ctrl + alt =f8
when i click on them nothing changes
when i click on seek cursor nothing changes

new found problem ! when i select a loop to play, indicated with yellow markers it shifts around and doesn't play correctly, missing the front, and when zooming also shifts loop points visibly !

rraud wrote on 8/29/2023, 12:38 PM

Hi @chris-long, you have Sound Forge Audio Studio, which does not have the advanced Preferences settings like SF Pro... the Editing/zoom setting probably would not help anyway.

Try resetting Sound Forge and clearing the cache. 'File> Reset all preferences and cached data'.

chris-long wrote on 8/29/2023, 1:00 PM

hi @rraud i have always used the simple audio studio not pro & they all have worked great for me on very old laptops with much lees power than this brand new thing i am using now.
i will try you next tip to reset, thanks!

chris-long wrote on 8/29/2023, 1:08 PM

@rraud almost the same except the sound does audibly start from the marker even tho when zooming the marker is shown in a completely different place on the wave form. before reset the marker was moving around the same when zooming but not playing exactly from the marker point. there is still about half a second latency in play tho

rraud wrote on 8/29/2023, 6:14 PM

there is still about half a second latency in play you though

Experiment with the playback buffer setting, and see if that helps any,

Can you record and post a screen capture so we can see what is happening in real time? Many folks like the free OBS Studio screen capture utility.

If all else fails, you should request a Magix tech support ticket. It is a bit confusing so peruse my instructional comment:
https://www.magix.info/us/forum/sound-forge-display-font--1264650/#ca1822142

chris-long wrote on 8/30/2023, 6:45 AM

@rraud i received advice from tech support....
Could it be you are editing mp3 files?  If so, then it is likely a compression issue.  That can be remedied by clicking Options > Preferences > General and check the box 'Always proxy compressed formats'.  Then restart your computer and see if the issue is still there.

can you believe it was that simple! i wonder why to edit mp3 you need to find and tick that box...like it's a shame box for people who want to edit mp3! :-)

chris-long wrote on 8/30/2023, 6:45 AM

now all works correctly....i hope

SP. wrote on 8/30/2023, 6:58 AM

@chris-long

can you believe it was that simple!

Yes, we told you so in the first answer. 😁

chris-long wrote on 8/30/2023, 7:20 AM

duh! thanks tho @SP.🙂

rraud wrote on 8/30/2023, 10:11 AM

It would have saved you aggravation if you followed @SP. 's 'proxy setting' advice from the get go. You also stated the behavior happened with PCM WAV files which the 'proxy' setting is not a factor. @SP. also stated there are no uncompressed MP3 codecs.
In any case @chris-long, we are are glad the issue is resolved.. hopefully.

i wonder why to edit mp3 you need to find and tick that box..

On many PCs, the compressed file proxy setting can be left disabled w/o issue. I do not know why some PCs need it.

hilario-navarrorodriguez wrote on 4/25/2024, 9:57 AM

@rraud  Recibí consejos del soporte técnico...
¿Podría ser que estés editando archivos mp3? Si es así, es probable que se trate de un problema de compresión. Esto se puede solucionar haciendo clic en Opciones > Preferencias > General y marcando la casilla 'Siempre formatos comprimidos proxy'. Luego reinicie su computadora y vea si el problema persiste.

¿Puedes creer que fue así de simple? Me pregunto por qué para editar mp3 necesitas buscar y marcar esa casilla... ¡como si fuera una casilla vergonzosa para las personas que quieren editar mp3! :-)

Hello, the same thing happened to me too, a big headache and the Magix people are not able to set the software by default like that... Potentially libellous comment removed by Moderator