VST processes are not exposed in a useful manner since SF11

daudioguy wrote on 6/10/2020, 2:56 PM

I'm still using SF10 as it is the last version to support 'process selection' from the VST plug-in dialog. I downloaded the trial version of SF14 hoping that the "Instant Action" UI would address this. But no, unless I am missing something, the six effects in the "Instant Action Effects" dialog are internal and chosen by Magix. I need a sound editing host that makes it easy to use external plug-ins over and over again over selected regions. I need the plug-in window to persist, not disappear after applying the chain. I need the window to auto size to the interface of the plug-in. SF14 appears to none of this and is becoming less useful as regards the plug-in UI than SF11 (if that is possible). Unless this changes this is a deal breaker as SF10 doesn't support 64bit plug-ins and I am getting more of these that are 64bit only.

all of this is on the PC platform using the most recent builds.

To say that I am disappointed in SF14 it to put it mildly. If Magix continues in this direction with SF I will be forced (after 30 years) to find a different audio editor.

Comments

rraud wrote on 6/10/2020, 3:59 PM

The 'Instant Actions' feature is totally useless for my typical workflow..

If you would like the plug-in chainer to be more similar to that in SF 10, First select, Apply Plug-in chain in the FX Favorites menu. Unfortunately, most the plug-in's automation is not supported that mode. I will refrain from ranting about the changes made to SF Pro 11 (and later).

daudioguy wrote on 9/14/2021, 6:15 PM

I finally caved and figured out a way to use plug-ins the way I want to use them with SF15. Using FX favorites I invoke a plug-in. If I am bumping up something using iZotope Maximizer 3db at a time then I use F4 which repeats the last command on the undo cue. This is OK. More keystrokes that the one button click for the plug-in chain that SF10 had but OK. to invoke a maximizer preset of mine it is: ALT X, D, enter, enter and then enter. If I need another bump then F4 will do it. But if I want to check it with statistics - ALT T, S, enter then I will have to invoke it again. cumbersome.

Walter.I wrote on 9/15/2021, 3:41 AM

I haven't had a closer look at SF 15 Pro yet.
Is it still not possible to customise the "Instant Actions" with it ?
Is this still hard coded by the developers - in their great wisdom ?

CPU: Intel i9-9900KS 4GHz, (UHD Graphics 630,)
MB: ASUS TUF Z390-PLUS Gaming,
MEM.: 32 GB Ram, DDR4-3200
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660 SUPER,
Storage: SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2, SSD 860 EVO Series 1TB, Toshiba 3TB SATA,
Soundforge Pro 14, Build 111

daudioguy wrote on 9/15/2021, 11:00 AM

as far as "Instant Actions" I would characterize progress as 'baby steps'. There are 'User Entries' that are Batch Converter presets. I'd like to have my favorite VST effects and effect chains available as "Instant Actions" but I don't see a way of doing that.