Visitor cannot access my website

grumpy.o.men wrote on 6/11/2013, 11:17 AM

At 4:00 PM on Wednesday, June 5th, one of mywebsite users reported he was able to reach my Magix website, but found that I had not completed my new updates.  At 5:00 PM I notified him that I had completed the updates to the Grumpy Old Men webpage and he tried again.  This time he could not reach the website on either his Vista controlled Laptop or his Windows 7 desktop and has not been able to do so since.  Also this is a person who does updates to the website in my absence.  He  stated that the system went into a hard wait apparantly waiting for a response from the Magix controller.  Both of his machines use Microsoft Internet Explorer and have the latest version of Adobe Player.

A second one of our members reported the same problem, but found a solution by going to Chrome as his internet service provider and was able to reach the website.  This narrows the problem down to Internet Explorer as the potential problem area.

Has Magix done anything to the webpage developer that would make the webpage unavailable to Windows Internet Explorer users or to your knowledge has Microsoft done something to Internet Explorer that would make a Magix website unavailable?

Thank you for investigating this as it is a real problem for my users of the Grumpy Old Men golf association web site.

Respectfully,

Tom Moore. .

Comments

gandjcarr wrote on 6/11/2013, 3:09 PM

Hi Tom,

You need to realize that no one here on this forum actually works for Magix.  We are all users helping each other with solving problems.  What is your website url.  I will check it with virtually every web browser currently available and let you know what I find.

George

grumpy.o.men wrote on 6/11/2013, 3:48 PM

Sorry, i thought this was the forum Magix gave me to solve issues .Both users now find they can get to the website through Chrome  Somebody changed something and it wasn't mt two users  we are just looking for a solution as to why this is necessary when it has never had to be in the past  

grumpy.o.men wrote on 6/11/2013, 5:48 PM

Thanks for the answer.

Our URL is http://thomas-moore.magix.net/website/#PLACE

If you do come across anything I can tell them, I would appreciate it.

gandjcarr wrote on 6/12/2013, 5:22 AM

Hi,

I tried firefox and safari and both displayed the website (although Safari took a little time to load it).  Then I tried IE, nothing a blank page.  Finally (in IE 9 running Windows 7) I went to "tools", "internet options" then the "advanced" tab at the bottom of the "advanced" tab is a "reset" button.  I clicked it, restarted IE and the page now displays fine.

Here is more information about how to do this for other versions of Windows.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956196

George

grumpy.o.men wrote on 6/12/2013, 6:49 AM

Thanks!  That seemed to work for the Windows 7 system. Not sure why since no features of IE had been changed between 4 PM and 5 PM on the day in question - certainly not on two different systems.  Don't like unanswered mysteries, but appreciate the help.

gandjcarr wrote on 6/12/2013, 9:20 AM

Hi,

If you want to dig in deeper, read the link to the according to Microsoft if resetting IE solved the problem you can find out what caused it by

The connection works
If the connection works, a third-party service or program may be conflicting with Internet Explorer. To identify the conflicting service or program, follow these steps:

Click Start, type msconfig in the Search programs and files box, and then click msconfig in the Programs list
    Click the Services tab and check the box beside Hide all Microsoft services.
    Select half of the listed items, and then click OK.
    Restart the computer, and then test Internet Explorer.
    Repeat steps 1 through 4 until you identify the service that is conflicting with Internet Explorer. If you are not using the conflicting service, we recommend that you remove it, or configure it so that it doesn't start when the computer starts.

If you cannot find a service that is causing the issue then open System Configuration again, click the Startup tab and repeat steps 3 thru 5.