Vinyl restoration pencil tool changing areas!

Chris-Dewhirst wrote on 3/24/2024, 5:14 AM

Hi , i now have Sound Forge Audio Studio 17 and have used it mainly for editing and vinyl restoration functions.

This new version seems to have a problem with the pencil tool i use to remove audio vinyl clicks. After you have zoomed in and chosen the area to be smoothed and chosen tools > pencil... in older SF versions,this worked perfectly every time.

It now allows you to smooth the unwanted area,but often moves the area you have chosen. My changed section now appears next to the desired area . Weird. This means you end up with a section that didn't need changing , being changed , and the section you wanted to smooth , looking like it hasn't been touched. It seems to move the area you have selected to a different one, making it useless it many cases,but not all. When you zoom in to the desired section that area seems to jump around and eventually disappear, instead of being centre of screen where it should be.

Another glitchy area is the scrolling along of the sound clip when zoomed in slightly,it loses the waveform completely and repeats just a small section.

Anybody know what i can do to change this strange skipping of the selected area?

Thanks...Chris

Comments

rraud wrote on 3/24/2024, 1:26 PM

Try temporarily disabling 'Snapping' in the "Options" menu.
For other types of waveform editing, it is usually best to have 'Snapping> Zero crossings' enabled to prevent a possible transient noise at the edit point (a click or pop may occur for instance). It also could be a compressed format behavior See the 'proxy' setting below.

Another glitchy area is the scrolling along of the sound clip when zoomed in slightly,

Is looping disabled? (Q key toggle).
I cannot duplicate the behavior but I am not sure how you are scrolling or your zoom ratio.
If you are working on an MP3 or other lossy file type, try enabling "Always proxy compressed formats". in the "Options> Preferences> General" menu.

btw, welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users community @Chris-Dewhirst.

Chris-Dewhirst wrote on 3/25/2024, 6:33 AM

Try temporarily disabling 'Snapping' in the "Options" menu.
For other types of waveform editing, it is usually best to have 'Snapping> Zero crossings' enabled to prevent a possible transient noise at the edit point (a click or pop may occur for instance). It also could be a compressed format behavior See the 'proxy' setting below.

Another glitchy area is the scrolling along of the sound clip when zoomed in slightly,

Is looping disabled? (Q key toggle).
I cannot duplicate the behavior but I am not sure how you are scrolling or your zoom ratio.
If you are working on an MP3 or other lossy file type, try enabling "Always proxy compressed formats". in the "Options> Preferences> General" menu.

btw, welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users community @Chris-Dewhirst.

Thanks rraud , i will try those methods and let you know. You are right about the difference in formats having different results when i try and use the pencil tool , so i will check that too after changing the options you have suggested............Thanks !!!