Version 15 tools missingor removed?

PhilliesPhan wrote on 4/3/2021, 4:52 AM

Hello, I recently upgrade from V12.6 to V15 (on my Win10 v20H2 desktop w/40GB of RAM) hoping to get an improvement in speed and functionality from this software. My primary use of the software is recording the several hundred old records (33s and 45s) I have, most of which are at least 50 years old. This requires great care in cleaning and great tools in processing to make top quality recordings. I used extensively the RestuartionFX tools in v12.6, particularly the DeClicker/DeCrackler and the DeNoiser. One of the best parts of the software was the NoisePrint capability. This was invaluable to pull a small sample from a record's "quiet" parts to get that background noise then removed from the recording. My problem is I am not finding an equal capability in V15. I have played around with the Vegas ExpressFx Audio Restoration tools but have not been satisfied with the results. I am just missing something here? Right now I feel like I have wasted my money in upgrading, sorry to say.

Thanks for your time!

Comments

condex wrote on 4/3/2021, 5:27 AM

Just for clarity, was version 12.6 actually Sound Forge Audio Studio (which had a 12.6 build) rather than Sound Forge Pro 12 (which didn't have a 12.6 build as far as I can recall), and is your update Sound Forge Pro 15 or Sound Forge Audio studio 15?

PhilliesPhan wrote on 4/3/2021, 5:47 AM

Yes both versions are Sound Forge Audio Studio. Thanks

emmrecs wrote on 4/3/2021, 5:57 AM

@PhilliesPhan

Have a look at this page where you will see that SFAS 15 includes "Audio Restoration" but NOT "Audio restoration tools", which I think is what you are looking for. (The latter are, apparently, only in SF PRO 15 or the Suite version.)

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Last changed by emmrecs on 4/3/2021, 5:58 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Samplitude Pro X7 Suite, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

condex wrote on 4/3/2021, 6:20 AM

This is Audio Restoration in Sound Forge Pro 15:

... and Noise Reduction including Noise Print

PhilliesPhan wrote on 4/3/2021, 6:36 AM

Well I guess that pretty much answers it, they moved the Noise Print to the Pro version only and the other Audio Restoration tools appear they same as the Pro version, but seem to not work as well as the previous version. See attached tool looks to be the same. Guess I wasted my money, will be going back to v12.6 and hoping it keeps working as new version of Windows are released. I can't see spending that much to upgrade until old version no longer works. Will just put up with the slower performance.

Thanks

SP. wrote on 4/3/2021, 6:44 AM

@PhilliesPhan You should ask for a refund by sending a mail to shop@magix.net or infoservice@magix.net. This should be possible.

condex wrote on 4/3/2021, 6:58 AM

I can't see spending that much to upgrade until old version no longer works.

Features come and go, and I think that the audio restoration tools have always been available in the SF Pro version but have evidently been dropped from AS at some time prior to 15.

I've been caught before - as have others - with an upgrade losing previously available functions (e.g. Vegas Pro now losing both AC3 Pro and AC3 audio rendering options over several years).

A good idea is to download the trial version before purchasing.

rraud wrote on 4/3/2021, 9:46 AM

I think that the audio restoration tools have always been available in the SF Pro version

The original noise reduction suite, (NR 1) was a separate option that could be purchased with SF 5 or 6 . The updated NR-2.0 was eventually included with the full version of SF 8 or 9, and still is. It is basically unchanged aside from the 'Sony' branding being removed.

SF Pro 14 and 15 includes iZotope's RX Elements which basically has the same tools as NR-2.0 (din type noise reduction, click/crackle remove, clipped peak restore) but are more refined . I do not recall if RX Elements was included with SF Pro 12 and 13. Audio Studio does not include RX Elements, but includes some sort of noise reduction plug-in which I am not familiar with but the UI appears similar to the NR-2.0 (din type) noise reduction.