Version 11 never seen before window: Sound Forge Pro Dock

charles-kistler wrote on 3/22/2021, 8:54 PM

I have been using Sound Forge Pro v. 11 build 299 for more years than I can remember.

I do not know what I did to make this window appear, but a floating window titled Sound Forge Pro Dock sporadically appears when I open a .wav file. It contains nothing. I can't do anything with it except resize it and close it. How can I permanently prevent it from appearing? I don't have a screen shot (yet) of it.

Comments

PATIENT-X wrote on 3/22/2021, 9:08 PM

@charles-kistler

Hello, Welcome

Until someone with experience of Sound Forge Pro comes along and responds.

Is this what you are looking to resolve your issue?

When the Allow floating windows to dock check box on the General tab of the Preferences dialog is cleared, windows will not dock unless you hold the Ctrl key. When the check box is selected, you can prevent a window from docking by holding the Ctrl key.

Forum Moderator

Pc self build by me.

Azza Pyramid 804 case

Intel Core i5-13600K Processor 3.5GHz

Kingston FURY Beast 32GB (16GB x 2) 4800MHz DDR5

Geforce RTX2080 Founders edition

Firecuda 530 1tb SSD Nvme

Team Group T-FORCE DELTA MAX RGB LITE 2.5" 1TB SATA III

Corsair RM1000x 80 PLUS Gold Fully Modular ATX 1000 Watt Power Supply

5in LCD Screen

Lian Li UNI SL120 V2 triple fans

MSI Meg Unify Z690 motherboard

charles-kistler wrote on 3/22/2021, 9:31 PM

This window will not dock. I can move it around with the mouse, resize it, and close it. It is totally empty. I've never seen this window before. It is not one of the windows that can be shown using the View menu command. It's not one of the toolbars available in the View -> Toolbars menu command. Here is a simulated screen shot: http://www.transology.info\simulation.jpg

condex wrote on 3/23/2021, 1:36 AM

I've never seen that window with Sound Forge Pro 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 or 15.

This might be an extreme approach, but you could try resetting Sound Forge Pro (SFP) back to its default settings by double-clicking on the desktop icon while holding down Shift-CTRL and then checking the 'delete all cached application data' option on the window that opens - and the 'yes'. This will return SFP back to its default installation state as it was when first installed. However, any layout/icon/etc settings that you have made will be lost, but your saved SFP windows layouts should still be found via View/Windows Layouts/Organize Layouts. Nonetheless, if you do have saved layouts, its a good idea to copy these to a backup HDD or memory stick/card - or just to another folder - from C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Roaming\Sony (or Sony Creative Software)\Sound Forge Pro\11 - I'm not totally sure how the folder string was titled back in Sony days. If in doubt, the full destination appears in the Organize Layouts window. Keep in mind that in Windows Explorer, 'Hidden Items' needs to be checked in the View tab in order to see AppData and deeper.

charles-kistler wrote on 3/23/2021, 2:11 AM

I've reset Sound Forge. I'll update the post if the window appears. If, after a week, it doesn't, I'll update the post.

rraud wrote on 3/23/2021, 11:58 AM

I have never experienced that abnormality either. You could try going to the "Options> Preferences> General" menu and enable "Allow floating windows to dock" but I have doubts that will help.

SF-11 and other SCS versions do not have the reset/clear cached option. I would try reinstalling or uninstall > then reinstall. I usually recommend uninstalling with a third-party uninstaller that can clean leftover data, like Revo Uninstall.

PATIENT-X wrote on 3/23/2021, 12:19 PM

@charles-kistler

I get the feeling that it's a glitch and yes a reinstall would be optional as @rraud mentioned.

Forum Moderator 

Pc self build by me.

Azza Pyramid 804 case

5in LCD Screen

charles-kistler wrote on 3/23/2021, 1:16 PM

SF11 does indeed have a reset/clear cache command. http://transology.info/reset.jpg

I had to rebuild my toolbars and workspace, but my keyboard shortcuts were there, just not active. Oddly, .wav files were reassigned to VLC but that was easy to fix. All of my render templates were preserved, my scripts were preserved. None of my presets were restored, but I have them saved so that wasn't a problem.

A reinstall is the course of last resort, but would not be much harder than a reset/clear.

PATIENT-X wrote on 3/23/2021, 1:19 PM

@charles-kistler

Thanks for the update, I hope you get it sorted soon.

Forum Moderator 

Pc self build by me.

Azza Pyramid 804 case

5in LCD Screen

rraud wrote on 3/23/2021, 1:46 PM

SF11 does indeed have a reset/clear cache command. http://transology.info/reset.jpg

I see (said the blind man). Sorry, I was referencing my earlier (Sony) SF Pro-11 build (272) on my Vista PC, which does not have the option. Later Magix builds of SF-11 were for Win 7, 8,10 only and apparently have it. Apologies for any confusion.

charles-kistler wrote on 3/23/2021, 2:05 PM

Not a problem. It isn't in any menu option. Several other programs use keystrokes at startup to reset.

rraud wrote on 3/23/2021, 5:09 PM

Several other programs use keystrokes at startup to reset.

Yes, it is "Ctrl + Shift + Launch", (just like Vegas Pro).