Vegas Pro 19 build 532 into Sound Forge Audio Studio 15 121

brett-h wrote on 3/15/2022, 5:56 PM

Windows 10 home 21h1 on pc

I have an avi video file in Vegas and edited the audio file using Sound Forge. This is my first time trying to edit using Forge from inside Vegas. The audio edits are not showing up inside Vegas. Question, what type of file does Forge create after the audio edit, and how to I get the audio edited file back into Vegas?

Comments

rraud wrote on 3/15/2022, 6:18 PM

Did you open the event in Sound Forge (SF) from within Vegas Pro? (VP)
When you right-clicked the event, did you select 'Open in audio editor' . or.. 'Open copy in audio editor' ? ... assuming SF has already been designated as the 'audio editor'

'Open Copy' creates a new take (PCM file) of the event, When saved in SF, VP should update the event automatically with the new take. If 'Open in' is selected, the entire audio file is opened in SF and if saved it would also be a PCM (if the original is not already), If it is not a PCM to begin with, and editing takes place, when saved it will overwrite the original file (destructive edit). Open Copy is non-destructive.

brett-h wrote on 3/15/2022, 9:22 PM

Yes, I had VP open and right clicked selected Open in audio editor SF, I do not know about the "Open copy in audio editor, and understand my poor choice in using a destructive edit. Please explain what the (PCM file is) The original file was .avi format (cineform?) First edit with VP and SF so I am trying to muddle through, although I have used earlier versions of both programs for years.

Walter.I wrote on 3/16/2022, 3:30 AM

Some questions are also explained in the Vegas help file and this has been the case for many versions.

CPU: Intel i9-9900KS 4GHz, (UHD Graphics 630,)
MB: ASUS TUF Z390-PLUS Gaming,
MEM.: 32 GB Ram, DDR4-3200
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660 SUPER,
Storage: SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2, SSD 860 EVO Series 1TB, Toshiba 3TB SATA,
Soundforge Pro 14, Build 111

rraud wrote on 3/16/2022, 7:43 AM

PCM (Pulse Code Modulation) is an uncompressed audio format that typically has a <.wav> extension. Many AVI formats have embedded PCM audio.
As I stated, right-click the Vegas audio 'event' you wish to work on, and select "Open copy with audio editor" which should subsequently open a new take of the event in Sound Forge.

brett-h wrote on 3/16/2022, 12:41 PM

Thank you, I will "Open copy with audio editor" in the next project. I was able to do a workaround for this edit by saving the sound forge edited file in a .wav format and importing into the vegas project. I then ungrouped the original audio from the video and media inserted the saved edited sound forge .wav into the timeline in vegas. Voila!

Walter.I wrote on 3/18/2022, 4:43 AM

Thank you, I will "Open copy with audio editor" in the next project. I was able to do a workaround for this edit by saving the sound forge edited file in a .wav format and importing into the vegas project. I then ungrouped the original audio from the video and media inserted the saved edited sound forge .wav into the timeline in vegas. Voila!

@brett-h
A very convenient way is to use "Open copy with audio editor", which embeds the audio as a "take" in Vegas, allowing you to switch between takes and easily test which sounds better.
Have a look in the help under "Takes" - you'll love it.

CPU: Intel i9-9900KS 4GHz, (UHD Graphics 630,)
MB: ASUS TUF Z390-PLUS Gaming,
MEM.: 32 GB Ram, DDR4-3200
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660 SUPER,
Storage: SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2, SSD 860 EVO Series 1TB, Toshiba 3TB SATA,
Soundforge Pro 14, Build 111