Using Beatbox as a general sequencer

Pek1 wrote on 8/25/2022, 8:09 AM

Hi. You can use Beatbox as a general sequencer. I use MusicMaker 2022 in windows 7 pro.

First search Beatbox preset files. Then choose for example the "Skillz" -folder and copy all the files and make a backup folder. In Skillz folder there are eight drum sound wav-files, which you can replace with any wav files you like. If your song is for example in Am key you could replace those drum sounds Am key notes played by piano or guitar or what ever instrument you like. You can also replace original drum sounds with full chords. I think you must use original drum sound names, but there only eight files always same order in Skillz folder, so it isn't hard to remember if you put yours sounds names in the same order.

Now when you open beatbox and choose Skillx presets you can make litlle melodies, riffs or chords. It's quite limited of course, but it's fun and much more easy to use than piano roll to discover ideas.

Comments

SP. wrote on 8/25/2022, 8:30 AM

@Pek1 Yes, this is a nice idea. Samplitude Music Studio comes with an older version of BeatBox that has a lot more features. There you can just drag and drop your samples into the drum sequencer. I'm not sure why Magix decided to limit the featues of BeatBox in Music Maker.

Pek1 wrote on 8/25/2022, 8:55 AM

Thanks for information. Do you know is there a way to buy this version separately from Magix as vst-plugin.

SP. wrote on 8/25/2022, 9:28 AM

@Pek1 You can get it for free if you download and install Samplitude Pro X4 Silver from here http://dl04.magix.net/2019/SamplitudeProX4Silver/Program/SamProX4_Silver_INT_200121_07-59.exe Copy and paste the link text(!) into your internet browser. It may not work, if you click on the link. This is an old freeware version of Samplitude.

Just install and register the program, then go to Help > Download Instruments & Sounds. Then select "Object synthesizers". Start the download and let them install. Then restart Samplitude Pro X4 Silver. You can now add the Synths under the Menu Object > New Synth Object to your track. You will get Beatbox 2, Loop Designer (creates Drum n Bass Loops) and Robota 2 (Drum Machine). Each instrument is pretty powerful.

But they will not work in Music Maker or any other program.

I believe Magix removed them from Music Studio 2022 and 2023. They are included in my version of Music Studio 2021. And of course in Samplitude Pro X, but this is very expensive. They were also part of Music Maker many years ago but also removed.

You can also download Independence Free under Help > Download Instruments & Sounds which is a very powerful sampler. But the free edition is limited in the number of samples you can use. You can also get it from here https://www.magix.com/us/free-download/independence-free-sampler-software/

Pek1 wrote on 8/25/2022, 12:15 PM

Thanks again. I will download that.