Comments

SP. wrote on 6/29/2023, 4:16 AM

@Mark-Cotton Based on the information on their website the following things are new:

NEW! External FX

NEW! VST Enhancements

NEW! coreFX Utility

NEW! Optimized Onboarding

https://www.magix.com/int/music/sound-forge/sound-forge-pro/new-features/

So basically, you can integrate external effect units into your plugin chain and get one new coreFX VST plugin.

VST enhancements is pretty vague because since the VST integration was changed in version 16 it became very buggy compared version 15, so I hope they fixed some bugs.

And optimized onboarding is basically only for new users.

That's all for this upgrade.

Small updates usually show what was changed during the installation. Before you click on install. It's usually bug fixes.

johnebaker wrote on 6/29/2023, 4:59 AM

@Mark-Cotton

Hi

. . .. I just had my 17.0.2 upgrade tonight, it's my first since moving to SFP 17 . . . .

Do you mean you already had SFP 17 installed, and it has updated to the latest patch 17.0.2.xxx ? Also when quoting version number please quote it in full.

If an update, in the notification window of the update the version number is usually blue, this is a link to tell what the update/patch is fixing.

Magix sometimes use the term Upgrade when they mean Update/Patch)

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Mark-Cotton wrote on 6/29/2023, 5:09 AM

Thanks John. Yes I already had 17 installed. As for the version number, I’m pretty sure I quoted exactly what was showing on-screen in the update box upon opening the program. It wasn’t showing ending with a 3 digit revision number but simply as 17.0.2. I had a previous career, a lifetime ago, as 3rd Line Support so I’m normally looking for details like revision numbers.

rraud wrote on 6/29/2023, 10:42 AM

In the pop-up update window, click the version # to view the release notes.

"SFAS 17.0.2.109
Scope:
The second hot fix for SOUND FORGE Audio Studio 17 does address a couple of minor issues throughout the program.

Improvements:
True Peak Meter uses the same horizontal layout rule as the normal Peak Meter
        Interactive tutorial improvements
            New "What's new in SOUND FORGE Audio Studio 17" interactive tutorial
            Reworked "Select data" interactive tutorial
            Updated "Configure and use effect plugins" interactive tutorial
        Complete removal of the installation directory by uninstallation process

SFAS 17.0.1.88
Scope:
The first hotfix for SOUND FORGE Audio Studio 17 does address a couple of issues with the coreFX plug-in.

Improvements:
Added the Polish Help for Audio Studio

Bugfixes:
coreFX Utility Plug-in
            The peak meter now shows "-Inf" for all values below -120dB
            Fixed missing calculation of tail length when delay section is activated
            Fixed audio rendering in SOUND FORGE due to low Plug-in performance when loading presets
            Fixed recalling of UI zoom factor when opening the Plug-in GUI
            Fixed initialization of preset bar
            Fixed bug where the main width knob was bypassed when "Mono Solo" was acitvated but the "Mono Below" filter was deactivated
        Small formatting fixes in different interactive tutorials in Polish, French, Spanish and German

SFAS 17.0.0.84
Scope:
    The initial Release for SOUND FORGE Audio Studio 17 comes with a multitude of cool new features, numerous improvements to well known functions and a complete new coreFX plug-in.

Features:

New Plug-in for the coreFX suite: Utility enables you to do basic audio operations
        New Loudness Meter visualization including support for displaying true peak values
        New Mono Compatibility Meter helps you to make your files compatible to all kinds of playback systems
        VST effects are now scanned in parallel on program start to reduce loading times
        Bundled with the new iZotope Ozone Elements Version 10

Improvements:
    Improved and simplified installation process
        Overhauled numerous interactive tutorials
        Multiple visualizations can now be displayed simultaneously and freely arranged
        Improved preset management for all types of effects in all processing modes
        Faster management of Plug-in menus
        Enable and disable VST scan paths in preferences via checkboxes
        Large Plug-in menus get created and updated faster
        Plug-in manager performance and creation time improved
        Improvements for the button states in the VST Preferences
        Improved folder management in Plug-in manager
        Plugins added to the Favorites menu are now persistent
        Dedicated improvements for scanning large WAVES shell Plug-ins
        More robust handling of special cases during interactive tutorials across different languages
        Interactive tutorial startup dialog is now non-modal in order to enable faster program initialization
        Dynamically adapt "Apply Plug-in Chain" window size to the plugins embedded within it
        The old Loudness Meter view has been removed
        Cleaned up the options menu from redundant items
"

Mark-Cotton wrote on 6/29/2023, 11:35 AM

Thanks Rich. I have Sound Forge Pro 17. Maybe it did say the full release number, but I didn’t notice.

john_barr wrote on 6/29/2023, 12:27 PM

The 17.0.2 update was released 3 months after the 17.0.1 update and NOTHING has been fixed.

Mark-Cotton wrote on 6/29/2023, 12:41 PM

Ok … I only had the upgrade splash screen yesterday for the first time. I’m not sure what bits are “broken”, so not sure what should have been fixed.

rraud wrote on 6/29/2023, 1:51 PM

I have Sound Forge Pro 17.

Basically the same as AS..

"SFP 17.0.2.109
Scope:

The second hotfix for SOUND FORGE Pro 17 does address a couple of minor issues throughout the program. (The 'major' issues (IMO) remain.)

Improvements:

True Peak Meter uses the same horizontal layout rule as the normal Peak Meter
        Interactive tutorial improvements
            New "What's new in SOUND FORGE Pro 17" interactive tutorial
            Reworked "Select data" interactive tutorial
            Updated "Configure and use effect plugins" interactive tutorial
        Complete removal of the installation directory by uninstallation process

Bugfixes:

External Effect
            Fixed an issue where audio gaps could come up after processing
            More reliable mono file processing
            More reliable latency detection
            OK & Preview buttons are now disabled while latency auto-detection is running
            Disabled incompatible context menu options
            Fixed possible sample rate issues on preview
        Fixed problems with multiple occurrences of the same plugin in different folders

SFP 17.0.1.88
Scope:

The first hotfix for SOUND FORGE Pro 17 does address a couple of issues with the coreFX plug-in.

Bugfixes:

coreFX Utility Plug-in
            The peak meter now shows "-Inf" for all values below -120dB
            Fixed missing calculation of tail length when delay section is activated
            Fixed audio rendering in SOUND FORGE due to low Plug-in performance when loading presets
            Fixed recalling of UI zoom factor when opening the Plug-in GUI
            Fixed initialization of preset bar
            Fixed bug where the main width knob was bypassed when "Mono Solo" was acitvated but the "Mono Below" filter was deactivated
        The external effect can now be addressed via a toolbar icon
        Small formatting fixes in different interactive tutorials in French, Spanish and German

SFP 17.0.0.84
Scope:

The initial Release for SOUND FORGE Pro 17 comes with a multitude of cool new features, numerous improvements to well known functions and a complete new coreFX plug-in.

Features:

New External Effect allows you to easily use your external hardware effects like a Plug-in
        New Plug-in for the coreFX suite: Utility enables you to do basic audio operations
        VST effects are now scanned in parallel on program start to reduce loading times
        The Loudness Meter visualization now supports displaying true peak values
        Bundled with the new iZotope Ozone Elements Version 10
        Bundled with the new iZotope RX Elements Version 10

Improvements:

Improved and simplified installation process
        Overhauled numerous interactive tutorials
        Multiple visualizations can now be displayed simultaneously and freely arranged
        Improved preset management for all types of effects in all processing modes
        Faster management of Plug-in menus
        Enable and disable VST scan paths in preferences via checkboxes
        Large Plug-in menus get created and updated faster
        Plug-in manager performance and creation time improved
        Improvements for the button states in the VST Preferences
        Improved folder management in Plug-in manager
        Plugins added to the Favorites menu are now persistent
        Dedicated improvements for scanning large WAVES shell Plug-ins
        More robust handling of special cases during interactive tutorials across different languages
        Interactive tutorial startup dialog is now non-modal in order to enable faster program initialization
        Dynamically adapt "Apply Plug-in Chain" window size to the plugins embedded within it
        The old Loudness Meter view has been removed
        Cleaned up the options menu from redundant items
"

SP. wrote on 6/29/2023, 2:21 PM

@john_barr

The 17.0.2 update was released 3 months after the 17.0.1 update and NOTHING has been fixed.

Does technical support even know about your problems? Have you ever opened a support ticket?

Mark-Cotton wrote on 6/29/2023, 2:23 PM

I was simply asking where the release notes were to see what had been changed/fixed.

john_barr wrote on 6/29/2023, 4:46 PM

@john_barr

Does technical support even know about your problems? Have you ever opened a support ticket?

Your problems?
I don't have problems. Sound Forge has problems.
I already opened a support ticket and Craig said that the developers already know about the problems, but it will take some time to fix. I thought it wouldn't take that long.

Mark-Cotton wrote on 6/29/2023, 4:50 PM

As I said, I don’t have any obvious problems. As someone who worked for years in IT support, I like to know what changes have been made to software I have installed, that’s being updated, that was all.

SP. wrote on 6/29/2023, 5:26 PM

@john_barr

Your problems?
I don't have problems. Sound Forge has problems.
I already opened a support ticket and Craig said that the developers already know about the problems, but it will take some time to fix. I thought it wouldn't take that long.

Hmm, I suspect that the developers mainly focus on Vegas, because I believe it's developed by the same team. I wouldn't be surprised if this can take until SF 18 or even longer, depending on how severe the bugs are you've found.

john_barr wrote on 6/29/2023, 6:55 PM

Hmm, I suspect that the developers mainly focus on Vegas, because I believe it's developed by the same team. I wouldn't be surprised if this can take until SF 18 or even longer, depending on how severe the bugs are you've found.

You are right. It seems that Sound Forge is not a priority for Magix.

Myu wrote on 7/2/2023, 9:59 AM

You are right. It seems that Sound Forge is not a priority for Magix.

Glad to see I am not the only one who feels that way. I'm looking for the list of release notes for all currently supported versions and so far I have not found where those are. Most companies I know have those and the patch notes as well. I'm on the 16 Pro and I don't trust the updater to have checked for the latest version and patch because of all the past issues I have had with the updater.

For what I do and what 17 Pro brings, it is worth an $50, maybe $90 to upgrade to me right now, just ongoing patches and support. Which isn't feeling all that great (Support for high-resolution monitors and DPI scaling anyone?). There aren't enough fixes and the new features that I could see just didn't appeal. The loudness visualization looks like it might be nice, but I already have a plugin that replaces that so it isn't so much of a concern anymore. Everything else I don't think I would notice. Maybe an update down the road will change my mind and then I will buy, or see what SF 18/19 brings.

john_barr wrote on 7/2/2023, 9:07 PM

Glad to see I am not the only one who feels that way. I'm looking for the list of release notes for all currently supported versions and so far I have not found where those are. Most companies I know have those and the patch notes as well. I'm on the 16 Pro and I don't trust the updater to have checked for the latest version and patch because of all the past issues I have had with the updater.

For what I do and what 17 Pro brings, it is worth an $50, maybe $90 to upgrade to me right now, just ongoing patches and support. Which isn't feeling all that great (Support for high-resolution monitors and DPI scaling anyone?). There aren't enough fixes and the new features that I could see just didn't appeal. The loudness visualization looks like it might be nice, but I already have a plugin that replaces that so it isn't so much of a concern anymore. Everything else I don't think I would notice. Maybe an update down the road will change my mind and then I will buy, or see what SF 18/19 brings.

Thanks a lot for your comment, but Magix doesn't care about it. Problems that I have been reporting since last year and have not been fixed until now. It seems that Magix doesn't care about Sound Forge (few sales), so it doesn't bother to fix the problems.