upgrade ignoring my custom installation directories

ACGuernica wrote on 10/4/2022, 5:59 PM

After updating to the latest version of Music Maker (version 31.0.1.13) the custom installation was ignored. It set up in the default installation drives and folders. I didn't have much room on the C drive (default install) hence why I aimed to put on a separate drive.

I uninstalled and re-installed the software to my custom drives(those I remembered at least). The program kept popping up errors about how the program doesn't have permission to run on the drive, or after the next unsuccessful install how the computer didn't have enough RAM to run the VST software. 64MB is not enough memory?

So now, after fighting with the program errors I finally installed to the default which is the C drive with sound pool on D, but my original custom installation was an (D drive) adata 250GB ssd with my working record audio on a (f drive) Western Digital 4TB drive.

EDIT: Now the program doesn't close properly. It freezes and I have to exit out via the taskmanager....

Is this how the upgrades operate now?

My computer soec:

RYZEN 9 5900X on GIGABYTE Aorus Ultra x570

CORSAIR LPX Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200

NVIDIA Geforce RTX 3080 FE

2 WESTERN DIGITAL M.2 1TB drives

1 SAMSUNG M.2 1TB drive

1 WD blue 4TB drive

4TB drive tiered with the Samsung 1TB drive

1 250 SSD by ADATA

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 10/5/2022, 3:41 AM

@ACGuernica

Like you, I do not accept the "default" installation for the Program (I use a dedicated D:\ drive) but I do allow the Soundpools, Instruments etc., to install to the defaults. With that setup I have never found that any update fails to follow my choices.

However, I wonder whether, since you are now running the latest version of MM 2023, this was actually an upgrade? If so, this would have been treated by the program as a "new" install; it would have first uninstalled MM 2022 and then proceed to install the new version. However, during the install process you should have seen a screen which offered you the option to use either the default install locations or to select your own. Did this screen appear?

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

ACGuernica wrote on 10/5/2022, 1:25 PM

wsdww

@ACGuernica

Like you, I do not accept the "default" installation for the Program (I use a dedicated D:\ drive) but I do allow the Soundpools, Instruments etc., to install to the defaults. With that setup I have never found that any update fails to follow my choices.

However, I wonder whether, since you are now running the latest version of MM 2023, this was actually an upgrade? If so, this would have been treated by the program as a "new" install; it would have first uninstalled MM 2022 and then proceed to install the new version. However, during the install process you should have seen a screen which offered you the option to use either the default install locations or to select your own. Did this screen appear?

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Well, it was an update to the latest version, I say upgrade solely because it always looks different after the update. It's not an upgrade but an update that automatically downloads. With an upgrade there is usually a small fee, which says it's upgrading to the next year of music maker. I haven't purchased the update for 2023-It should still be 2022.

When this first happened, I started Music Maker and it said that there was an update to the software, so I downloaded. Every other time that I've installed, I never had to put the install directories since they were set when I first installed the software on this computer. After the update, I started getting a strange error about how I had to close the music maker running in background, this was strange, so i went to close the music maker down in the background, but after I did that and started the newly updated music maker, it spit out something about how it didn't have permission to start. So i went into control panel and into security and firewall to find out what the problem was, as well as event viewer. I saw no discrepancies. So I figured something installed wrong and tried the update again. This time it uninstalled music maker. Once it reinstalled (this time I looked at my custom set up) it was going to the default directories. I changed them to what I had for custom. After the install, it started popping up errors about VST and not having any memory. Music Maker loaded the intro tune that installs when you first install music maker. I scrubbed the tune and the program froze.

Well, to make a long story short, the above things would happen while trying to troubleshoot what was going on.

I gave up and installed to Default, and now when i start the program, it randomly freezes up when either scrubbing or exiting.

emmrecs wrote on 10/5/2022, 2:13 PM

@ACGuernica

Version 31.x.x.x is MM 2023 so, as I rather suspected (and I believe inferred in my earlier reply) you have actually upgraded from MM 2022 to MM 2023. No cost is involved in this change unless you choose to pay the upgrade fee in order to gain access to the new add-ons and features in this latest version. Your 2022 (and earlier) licence keys are still operative.

That upgrade is why the new version did not install to your previous locations; it first uninstalled the 2022 version and then installed the 2023. During that installation process you should have seen a screen which offered you the option to NOT use the Default locations, otherwise it would "automatically" use the defaults.

HTH

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

ACGuernica wrote on 10/5/2022, 3:53 PM

@ACGuernica

Version 31.x.x.x is MM 2023 so, as I rather suspected (and I believe inferred in my earlier reply) you have actually upgraded from MM 2022 to MM 2023. No cost is involved in this change unless you choose to pay the upgrade fee in order to gain access to the new add-ons and features in this latest version. Your 2022 (and earlier) licence keys are still operative.

That upgrade is why the new version did not install to your previous locations; it first uninstalled the 2022 version and then installed the 2023. During that installation process you should have seen a screen which offered you the option to NOT use the Default locations, otherwise it would "automatically" use the defaults.

HTH

Jeff

EDIT: I've done three re-installs so far and when I don't choose the C drive for the installation, I get permission errors or VST out of ram errors. Do I need to clean up the other drives to end the crashing or..I just don't know how to go about this.

Yes, the first time I updated the program I didn't bother to check because I thought it was an ordinary update and not a full upgrade to 31. Once it was installed, I figured out that it had defaulted. The very last install I've done is to the default. I can open the program, but now it randomly freezes up if I try to click on any of the audio tracks as well as when I go to exit the program.

I would like to do an absolute clean install of the program, but I don't know every single place where I've had previous audio files (throughout the years). I don't know if having files on different drives is what is causing the crash, but I would like to figure out how I can stop it from crashing. It doesn't even leave an Event in administrator logs.