Updating VST Directory Search Crashes Program at Launch

David-Osborne2388 wrote on 3/19/2022, 10:32 PM

This post is for an issue getting ACID PRO 10 Suite to launch properly.

I recently purchased a new Alienware System for my studio:

• Aurora 13 Widowmaker Series
  • Intel Alderlake 12gen i9 Processor
  • 64GB RAM
  • 2TB SSD
  • 2TB HDD
  • Windows 11 Home Edition

I successfully downloaded and installed ACID PRO 10 Suite and Sound Forge 15 Pro and used these programs with no issues for the first week. I went to install soft synths (Native Instruments Reaktor 6, Kontakt, & Razor) I have used on previous systems. ACID could not locate Razor in the VST / Soft Synth search. So I set the search perimeter to all of my C drive. At this, the app crashed. I attempted to restart the app. I get the ACID PRO 10 Suite splash screen and in the left bottom corner, it initiates a VST scan and then crashes. I uninstalled ACID PRO 10 Suite, did a cold boot of the system, and then reinstalled ACID PRO 10 Suite. Upon program launch after reinstall, it initiates a VST scan and crashes. I went through the Bypassing of the VST Scan instructions here (https://www.magix.info/us/support/article/bypassing-of-the-vst-scan--1511/). This did not work. App still attempts to scan for VST plugins and crashes before full load / launch.

Please advise. I'd like the program to run again and be able to access my work ASAP. Thank you.

Comments

SP. wrote on 3/20/2022, 4:26 AM

@David-Osborne2388 

You can also try this:

hold CTRL and SHIFT and double click on the ACID program icon. A small window should appear asking you to reset the program settings and to delete the cache.

Scanning your whole C drive will let ACID scan all DLL files on this drive. This is a guaranteed crash.

SP. wrote on 3/20/2022, 4:33 AM

Another idea:

Create a new folder inside the ACID program folder and move all the audio_plugin_scan_server-EXE files inside. ACID cannot scan for plugins if it doesn't find these executables.

David-Osborne2388 wrote on 3/20/2022, 4:58 PM

Thank you for the ideas. I have tried both now. Neither succeeded. I also own Sound Forge and wonder if they are sharing a dll or setting...

SP. wrote on 3/20/2022, 6:51 PM

@David-Osborne2388 Uninstall ACID with a free tool like Revo Uninstaller which also removes all leftover registry keys. Then install it again.