Unable to save project in any format other than .SFAS

JayDee-Gauthier wrote on 12/11/2023, 1:41 PM

I just installed and started using SoundForge 17 but I can't seem to be able to save my projects in any format other than .SFAS. This format is not readable other than through SoundForge. Whenever I try to save to any other format I get the following message: "There is no template for this format. The selected media may not support it. Try Again?"

I previously was able to save to .MP3 or .WAV on SoundForge 9 since I need to play the tracks I edit through Windows/Android.
Can someone help me solve this issue?!? Thank you.

Comments

rraud wrote on 12/11/2023, 4:45 PM

Hi @JayDee-Gauthier, I think you may have inadvertently created the Sound Forge project file <.sfas>and are in that mode, The project file mode is non-destructive mode and leaves the original source file(s) untouched and the reference audio files are in a companion folder, When editing in this mode mode, you must use "Render as" to produce your finished Wave, MP3 or other end user audio file type.
btw, welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users community .

JayDee-Gauthier wrote on 12/12/2023, 8:25 AM

Hi Rraud,
I've attempted to open a new project and save it to a different format initially but I'm still getting the same error message as before.

I have also attempted to "Render As" both on a new project and an existing one I had already saved, and I'm again, getting the same error message.

rraud wrote on 12/12/2023, 9:52 AM

I've attempted to open a new project

@JayDee-Gauthier, are your stating you are opening an existing <.sfas> project or a standard audio file (wav, mp3, ect)?

Are there any plug-ins open?
Do all the other editing functions and processes function normally, (copy, cut, paste, delete, normalize, ect,)?
Does the behavior occur with different audio file types? (wave, mp3, ect)

Try the Sound Forge reset procedure: "File> Reset all preferences and clear cached data". Exit Sound Forge and restart the PC.

JayDee-Gauthier wrote on 12/12/2023, 2:08 PM

@rraud I installed the program yesterday and used it "as is' without adding any other plug-ins or anything else. I was able to cut/copy/paste bits of an audio file that is originally an MP3 without issue. I have not tested with .WAV files since all I use are MP3s.

My problem occurs once i'm done editing & mixing the tracks when I save them. Whether I try to "Save, Save As or Render As" I'm unable to to select any format other than .SFAS wihout getting the error message I indicated above.

I have followed the SoundForge reset procedure you indicated to the letter and my issue persists.

rraud wrote on 12/12/2023, 3:38 PM

Are 'Save' and 'Save as' grayed out (which is the case when editing a <.sfas> project)?

I don't know if it will help @JayDee-Gauthier, but "since all I use are MP3s", try enabling "Always proxy compressed formats" in the "Options> Preferences> General" menu. This has been known to resolve other MP3 issues.

If all else fails, request a Magix tech support ticket. (Instuctions)

FYI, to maintain quality during the editing process it is best to save PCM (wave) files and encode the end-user MP3s when editing and other processing is complete,

JayDee-Gauthier wrote on 12/12/2023, 6:27 PM

No the Save & Save As are not greyed out.
I just tried your suggestion for the Mp3 resolution and I'm unfortunatey still getting the same error message about a template being missing.

I'm a novice with all this stuff so pardon my ignorance with this question: What is a "template" and if its MISSING for me to save my files, is there a way for me to download/acquire said template? Wouldn't that logically solve the issue?

rraud wrote on 12/13/2023, 11:28 AM

Hi @JayDee-Gauthier, I think you are doing something wrong Not sure this will help.. but:

JayDee-Gauthier wrote on 12/13/2023, 12:36 PM

Hello again Rraud,

so i followed exactly your recommendation above and this was the result...

johnebaker wrote on 12/13/2023, 4:15 PM

@JayDee-Gauthier

Hi

From the error message, it looks like you are trying to save to a folder on your Desktop.

This is a protected location, the Protection feature in Windows Security may be blocking the save you are trying to do.

Your working folders should be within your Documents folder, never on the desktop.

The Documents folder is protected from changes such as an update which may reset the desktop, or a desktop reset due to an issue on startup, deleting any files and folders stored on the desktop.

HTH

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

JayDee-Gauthier wrote on 12/13/2023, 11:04 PM

Hello John,

as per your instructions, I attempted so save to the "Documents" location which simultaneously following the suggestions Rraud had previously made. I'm sad to say but, my issue persists :(

johnebaker wrote on 12/14/2023, 7:02 AM

@JayDee-Gauthier

Hi

Does this solution apply to the save issue you are having?

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

rraud wrote on 12/14/2023, 9:07 AM

Hi @JayDee-Gauthier, can you post a screenshot of the Sound Forge window (timeline) in the normal edit mode? (Edit> Tools> Edit)

JayDee-Gauthier wrote on 12/14/2023, 10:16 AM

@johnebaker no this doesn't help me at all. My issue isn't saving to .mp3 specifically. It's saving to ANY format other than .sfas at all

@rraud nothing happens when I follow your recommendation above. No window opens, nothing changes on screen :S

rraud wrote on 12/14/2023, 11:00 AM

Taking a screenshot (photo of your display) is a Windows function.
I believe Windows10/11 has a screenshot utility built in, then attach the image/photo file in the comment.

JayDee-Gauthier wrote on 12/14/2023, 4:09 PM

@rraud is THIS what you want to see?

rraud wrote on 12/14/2023, 5:12 PM

is THIS what you want to see?

Hi @JayDee-Gauthier, yes It is enough to see there are four (4) channels... which is the reason you could not Save or Save as other than a Sound Forge project, as @johnebaker mentioned.
To 'rescue' the file and if the audio on channels 3 & 4 are not for surround .. which it does not appear to be, cut or copy the audio segment on 3&4 and paste it to channels 1&2 at the approx same timeline position. Then go to "View> File Properties" and change 4 audio channels to 2. Then try Save or Save as a Wave or MP3 file.

... It may however just be easier to start over with a standard 2 channels to begin with. Go to 'File> New' and set the number of channels to 2. Drag the file or select the desired audio file(s) in File> Open.. btw, If there are more than one file, Enable "Append to current data window" in the "File> Open" dialog window.

JayDee-Gauthier wrote on 12/14/2023, 5:28 PM

What if I need to have 4 channels because i'm overlapping audio?!? I used SoundForge 9 for 15 years before this version and have always been able to save all my projects without any issue while editing 4 channels at once. Are you saying that now that I've upgraded to SoundForge 17, i'll never be able to save ANY project that has more than 2 channels?

rraud wrote on 12/15/2023, 11:08 AM

For overlapping audio, you have two options, the Mix function (Edit> Paste special> Mix) and and the Event mode (Edit> Tools> Event)". The event mode is more precise and allows splitting the timeline into regions and dragging the segments (or songs) around. Automatic and manual cross-fades can easily be added as well.. There is also a 'Ripple' option which will move the adjacent events accordingly.

Are you saying that now that I've upgraded to SoundForge 17, i'll never be able to save ANY project that has more than 2 channels?

Whatever you did with SF-9 can be done with SF-17 and then some. To re-confirm the SF-17 save and save as option, I just rendered a PCM poly file (4-channel Wave) w/o issue. Have you actually tried the Reset procedure which may fix the problem you're having.

btw, I am still not clear on exactly what you are trying to accomplish by using more than two channels if you are not doing surround or immersion editing.You may be trying to use a multi-channel application (Sound Forge) as a multi-track.

JayDee-Gauthier wrote on 12/15/2023, 12:31 PM

I have done the "Reset Procedure" you had previously suggested but I kept having the same issue afterwards.

As previously mentionned, i'm very much a noob when it comes to working music tracks (even if I've used SF9 for many years) because I only ever used one function. The suggestions you wrote in your most recent message sound like chinese to me XD I am self taught and am using this program to mix music tracks together for gaming purposes (taking a snippet of a track, isolating it and looping it mostly OR taking two short tracks and fading them together into a single longer track). The only way I ever discovered how to do this was by having a quad track.

If you know of any tutorials on this kind of stuff with SF17, feel free to indicate them to me.

rraud wrote on 12/15/2023, 1:13 PM

I would suggest using a multi-track DAW application for compiling music and other tracks. Sound Forge is normally used for the final stages of project. Mastering for instance

Acid, Audition, ProTools, Reaper, Samplitude and Audacty are popular multi-track options. Vegas Pro video also has a substantial multi-track DAW built in which Sound Forge can be integrated to. I recommend you try out Audacity, which is free and would be plenty capable of compiling the music (and other) tracks and rendering a mixed file for the end listener in the common formats (WAVE, FLAC, MP3, AAC, ect,) .

JayDee-Gauthier wrote on 12/15/2023, 1:45 PM

I appreciate the suggestion.
However, you can understand my irritation when you direct me to other programs to achieve something that i've been doing effortlessly for over a decade using a previous version of this program. I thought I was upgrading but it doesn't seem to be the case.

You stated previously "Whatever you did with SF-9 can be done with SF-17 and then some." but I cannot save multitrack projects the way I used to and i'm being directed elsewhere to achieve my end goal after spending money on this program. That's not particularily encouraging.

Are there "How to" tutorials available from Magix to help out users? Specifically for this type of manipulation:

"For overlapping audio, you have two options, the Mix function (Edit> Paste special> Mix) and and the Event mode (Edit> Tools> Event)". The event mode is more precise and allows splitting the timeline into regions and dragging the segments (or songs) around. Automatic and manual cross-fades can easily be added as well.. There is also a 'Ripple' option which will move the adjacent events accordingly."

SP. wrote on 12/15/2023, 2:08 PM

@JayDee-Gauthier Just in case it has something to do with your problem, you are using a feature limited version called Audio Studio.

JayDee-Gauthier wrote on 12/15/2023, 2:18 PM

All the functionalities I had with SoundForge 9 are available to me with SF17.
My only issue is being able to save multitrack projects to mp3 or wav instead of sfas...
Which I could do with the base version of SoundForge 9 in the past...

Being unable to perform this simple task with this version and not being able to find a work around is very irritating... I literally feel like I wasted my money :(

SP. wrote on 12/15/2023, 2:56 PM

@JayDee-Gauthier And have you tried the 30 days trial version of Sound Forge Pro 17? There are definitely differences in the supported number of channels between Pro and Audio Studio.