Unable to save files due to mp3 plug-in 2.0. Software is registered

William-Clark wrote on 10/10/2020, 4:53 PM

I have owned this software since June 2004. Upgraded to ver 7.0b Jan 2005. No problems until today! Wants me to register due to above plug-in but fails so I am unable to save anything! Help! I just registered with MAGIX today and installed the software (again) still same message when I try to save files. In this case I am trying to cut and paste as a new file from source. CAN NOT DO IT.

Comments

Former user wrote on 10/10/2020, 5:27 PM

What software? What OS are you using? If the program you're using is 32-bit, it might not run on Windows 10, if that's the OS you're using.

William-Clark wrote on 10/10/2020, 6:18 PM

Using Sony Sound Forge ver 7.0b on 64 bit Win 10. Have used the software on this PC with no problems until today when I went to save a file. Dialog box comes up wanting me to register in order to use MP3 Plug-In 2.0? which never came up before. The registration pointing to Sony I am sure fails. I have owned this software since 2004 with upgrade to ver 7.0b Jan 2005. Does Magix have phone support? THE SOFTWARE IS useless until I get this issue solved...

rraud wrote on 10/11/2020, 11:39 AM

Is the PC connected to the internet? Magix does not really 'officially' support SCS versions and I am not familiar with phone support... if there is any, it costs $$.
32 bit versions of SF 'usually' run on 64 bit Win 10 and prior w/o issue, I did not specifically try SF-7 on Win 7, but SF Pro 4.5, 6, 9 and beyond are known to run.

Also confirm there is a "mp3plug" file in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony\Sound Forge Pro (#) \FileIO Plug-Ins" If there is not, try copy/paste the file from another version or PC. Search this forum for other comments on MP3 issues

Otherwise download the 'latest' of SF-7 from Magix's Download Center or in Magix Service Center> My Products.. you will need the SF-7 serial number and use the email address when it was initially registered with SCS.

MP3 work-around: Render a PCM master and use a third-party MP3 encoder.. I like the WinLAME RC3, which has many more parameters than SF and can be tweaked even further in the presets code file. Alternately, render an MP4, AVC/AAC (Main Concept encoder) and afterwards change the extension to <.m4a> which most smart phones and PCs and on-line players will playback. Higher bit rates are also available with the AAC codec.

btw, welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users forum @William-Clark.

William-Clark wrote on 10/11/2020, 1:36 PM

I really appreciate your wonderful help. The program has always run fine under Win 10 with no registration issues until yesterday. I will look into your work arounds. I only use the software to cut and paste portions of audio files and I realize there are better or at least just as good for free. Hopefully I can get Sound Forge to save files.Thanks for your HELP.

William-Clark wrote on 10/14/2020, 12:30 PM

Took your advise and downloaded WinLAME RC3. It does just what I want with NO hassle. Thanks again.