Unable to save a vinyl restoration file.

Kent-Dugan wrote on 7/23/2023, 8:31 PM

I- recorded an LP using vinyl recording and restore. It recorded OK, and I entered the track names. I am unable to save this file. I have tried all of the saves, and none will save it in the location I want. I tried saving it as recorded (sound 7), and also as the album side 1. It absolutely will not save. This used to work fine in Sony Sound Forge. I have audio studio 16.1.2, build 57. No updates found. Running on SDD, Win10, 22H2. The default was to record as a .wav, but after recording, I changed that to mp3. Just will not save. I admit my needs are relatively simple, and the giant size of this since version 10 boggles the mind, but I had this working on SSF 10.

Comments

rraud wrote on 7/24/2023, 10:34 AM

Welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users community @Kent-Dugan.

Are you stating the file can be saved as a PCM (wave) file, but not as an MP3?
If this is the case, a few others have reported this condition as well, Resetting Sound Forge usually resolves the issue. Go to the 'File' menu and select "Reset all preferences and cached data". Be aware that most of your custom preferences will be reset to the factory defaults as well.

Yes, 16.1.2, build 57 is the latest version of SFAS-16, so there are no updates currently available.

Kent-Dugan wrote on 7/24/2023, 12:32 PM

Well, I did that, but it tossed my last file (which is the one I was trying to save. Once you close a recording without saving, it's gone forever, and the reset just shuts down Sound Forge. I'll try to record again and see. But, no, it didn't save in any format previously.

Kent-Dugan wrote on 7/24/2023, 12:44 PM

No dice. Totally unable to save in vers. 16 from the Vinyl Recording and Restoration. I used to be able to enter the album and tracks, but that doesn't save any info either presently. So - undocumented feature or bug? My vote goes to the latter. If I record without going through the Vinyl process, then I can save it, but then I also have to chop it up and label the tracks separately. It'd be nice if this feature still worked like it used to. If you (yourself) can save it from that process, then it must be a setting. This is straight out of the box at this point. Try a reinstall? Although doubtful that will turn out to be an issue. Any other reports of this not happening?

Kent-Dugan wrote on 7/24/2023, 12:58 PM

I should also ask - kind of a pain to have to right click on markers (they're small) and then rename. Why aren't we able to just hit F2 for that? It's windows universal talk for rename. Or is there a shortcut I haven't found?

Kent-Dugan wrote on 7/24/2023, 1:29 PM

Little update. Apparently after resetting (or who knows what?), I now have 3 copies of Sound Forge open. Each one obscuring the one behind it. No clue why this happened. This sounds like a bug, too.

rraud wrote on 7/24/2023, 2:06 PM

I now have 3 copies of Sound Forge open. No clue why this happened. This sounds like a bug, each one obscuring the one behind it.

Hi @Kent-Dugan, this is not a bug. It is referred to as "multi-instance" and was introduced as the default behavior starting with a mid build of Sound Forge 14 (which confused more than a few users). It can however be set back to the legacy 'single-instance' behavior in the "Internal" menu settings (which are hidden) If you wish to reset it, see this comment for instructions:
https://www.magix.info/us/forum/sound-forge-opening-multiple-instances-instead-of-multiple-windows--1252594/#ca1576421