Unable to Record Instruments

Brooke-Harvey wrote on 5/12/2021, 11:25 PM

Try to record from my digital piano, but not getting any monitoring sound or sound after recording. Basically, I’m not getting anything.

I have tried all driver settings, I’ve tried plugging directly into the headphone jack on my PC as well as connecting with MIDI.

I can’t get any audio whatsoever unless I use one of the built in instruments. Honestly, I just want to plug and play at this point.

My PC does recognize the piano when I plug it into mp3 jack and USB for the MIDI. What am I missing?

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 5/13/2021, 3:05 AM

@Brooke-Harvey

Hi

If you are trying record the audio from the piano via the audio out of the piano and Line in on your computer you will not hear anything until you turn the track AUDIO REC off after recording analog audio.

For using the piano as a MIDI controller you need to set Music Maker to use the ASIO drivers these are the settings that work for me - if you do not have a different internal audio card then the Advanced settings should be similar.

If neither of the above work then we need more information about how you are connecting the piano to the computer ie are you using any external devices, and you computer specification - see this topic for what is required.

HTH

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Brooke-Harvey wrote on 5/13/2021, 1:05 PM

Turns out I needed to update the driver for the piano. Thank you for the response.

johnebaker wrote on 5/13/2021, 3:02 PM

@Brooke-Harvey

Hi

Thanks for the feedback.

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Brooke-Harvey wrote on 5/13/2021, 9:26 PM

However, direct line in still doesn’t have any audio. I have it set to the magix latency for asio driver, used advanced settings and made sure the line in was enabled. What else am I missing?

SP. wrote on 5/14/2021, 2:04 AM

@Brooke-Harvey Only ASIO drivers give you live audio while recording in Music Maker.

Brooke-Harvey wrote on 5/14/2021, 2:25 AM

Tried Asio4all driver, didn’t work. Any other suggestions?

SP. wrote on 5/14/2021, 2:40 AM

@Brooke-Harvey Please make a screenshot of your settings. This are my settings.

emmrecs wrote on 5/14/2021, 3:41 AM

@Brooke-Harvey

How, exactly, are you connecting your keyboard to your computer? Earlier you wrote:

My PC does recognize the piano when I plug it into mp3 jack and USB for the MIDI. What am I missing?

What is the mp3 jack? Line In to from your keyboard to your computer needs the Line Out socket(s) of your keyboard to be connected to some kind of Line In on your computer if Audio is to be transferred.

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Samplitude Pro X7 Suite, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Brooke-Harvey wrote on 5/14/2021, 10:24 AM

Alright, so when I switched the Audio line in to the 3+4, I was getting response on the monitor levels but hearing no sound. Recorded a couple key strokes, and they appeared but didn’t have audio during playback. After a few minutes, the audio line-in changed to line-in Realtek and audio during playback is present without me doing anything. All I need now is to find out how to get audio while recording or do you think I might be having a software issue due to this random delay and change? I have the latest premium version. I have a new interface coming in tomorrow, but the “line-in” option is convenient to me when I’m in a hurry and just want to record a quick idea, kind of like a journal.

SP. wrote on 5/14/2021, 10:27 AM

@Brooke-Harvey Without screenshots we cannot see what options inside the driver settings are available to you. This make troubleshooting nearly impossible.

Brooke-Harvey wrote on 5/14/2021, 10:47 AM

ASIO driver is not producing playback, but the WASAPI driver is.

SP. wrote on 5/14/2021, 11:33 AM

@Brooke-Harvey WASAPI will not give you the features you want. What do you see, if you select Magix Low Latency and click on "Advanced..."?

Brooke-Harvey wrote on 5/15/2021, 4:36 PM

Sorry for the delay. After further playing around, I think it’s actually my PC causing the problem. It has been locking up and freezing lately. Called HP Support, and found out the “new” tower I bought from Best Buy was sold over a year ago. I’m guessing someone returned it and Best Buy put it back on the shelf. I’ll be returning it and looking for a new tower elsewhere. What recording I am able to get lag during the process during playback to where I have to exit the software and reopen each time I want to record a new track. I know when I used this software a decade ago it wasn’t this complicated to get audio working and record, so I’m not longer blaming the software now haha. Thanks for all of your help.