Unable to record from local source (mic)

radioguy wrote on 4/4/2022, 3:44 PM

Sound Forge 10 PRO -
The goblins have been working overtime. Went to record a voice file on SFP 10. When the record window comes up, there appears to be a low level feedback loop showing on the meters (-53dbL, -57dbR) and it's frozen. There is NO SIGNAL inbound from the mic (nor any other source) other than the frozen loop. Playback from a file is fine. Just can't record. Running an Antelope external sound card. Updated to current version software on that and still no joy. Worked OK last week. Now, ??? No changes were made to the setup or system except for the sound card update, and that only because of the freezing issue. I was hoping it would fix the issue. Apparently, it didn't. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Comments

radioguy wrote on 4/4/2022, 5:35 PM

FIXED!!

Removed the USB connection and unplugged the sound card for an hour. Re-plugged both and now all seems to be OK.

rraud wrote on 4/5/2022, 1:56 PM

there appears to be a low level feedback loop showing on the meters (-53db, -57dbR) and it's frozen.

What your are seeing is likely the noise floor of the interface. That is higher than most pro interfaces, a preamp could be cranked up or even extraneous acoustical borne noise can appear uniform on a meter. Either way, it is probably inaudible in a real-world listening environment, where -60dB is usually the theoretical threshold of inaudible.

radioguy wrote on 4/5/2022, 2:45 PM

Thanks for your input, Rick. Appreciated. From what I can gather, the issue (now resolved..see above) had to do with electrical interference in the circuitry likely induced by a motor start spike elsewhere in our lines. Not only was I seeing the noise floor on the meters, the software was getting NO SIGNAL inbound. Something in the line caused everything to choke. By unplugging the sound card from the mains, whatever might have been built up in the circuitry was released. When the sound card was reconnected to the mains, the issue was resolved. You might want to keep that in mind should anyone else run into the same problem.

johnebaker wrote on 4/5/2022, 3:12 PM

@radioguy

Hi

. . . . When the sound card was reconnected to the mains, the issue was resolved.  . . .

There are 2 possible reasons for this:

The Antelope needed resetting, or Windows detected the interface correctly, installed the drivers and made it live.

Windows not detecting some devices is a common issue requiring multiple plug in attempts and/or changing USB ports - this is more prevalent with a USB 1 or USB 2 device being plugged in to a USB 3 port.

John EB
Forum moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

radioguy wrote on 4/5/2022, 8:12 PM

There are 2 possible reasons for this:

The Antelope needed resetting, or Windows detected the interface correctly, installed the drivers and made it live.

Windows not detecting some devices is a common issue requiring multiple plug in attempts and/or changing USB ports - this is more prevalent with a USB 1 or USB 2 device being plugged in to a USB 3 port.

John EB
Forum moderator

Hi John,

As I had noted in my original post, the gremlins seemed to have been at work. The software is pretty much bulletproof. I had done a voice file just the day before with no issues at all. Our son installs home theater systems and has been involved in audio/electronics for many years. When I explained the problem to him, the first thing he suggested was pulling the plug on the Antelope to purge it of any possible internal "electrical" issues. He was the one who explained the motor start elsewhere (furnace maybe?) as being a possible culprit for the electrical interference. It is plugged into the same USB 2 port as usual, and there was no indication of Windows installing any drivers other than what was already resident on the system. So yes, the Antelope "reset" for whatever reason seems to have done the trick. Thanks to both you & Rick for your concern and follow-up on this matter. Most appreciated!

BTW, I cringe whenever MS does a Windows update. Some of them have caused major grief in the past with the operation of Sound Forge. It's not the program causing issues, it's the update(s).

Alan