Unable to drag and drop MP3 files into Soundforge10 window

harry-a wrote on 7/18/2020, 10:08 PM

I have a HP PC and a Dell PC and a HP laptop with Sound Forge 10 on them. On my laptop and the Dell PC, I can drag and drop audio files into the blank SF window. However, I am unable to do so on the HP PC though for years I had been able to do this on this PC. I have tried everything, to no avail. I want to be able to drag and drop on this PC. Even if there is a way to migrate the preferences from the laptop to the PC, that might solve this issue for me. Running SF as Administrator did not do it. On this same PC, I could do it before but not lately. Using Windows 10 on all of them.

Any ideas? TIA.

Comments

rraud wrote on 7/19/2020, 10:17 AM

Is it just MP3 files that exhibit this behavior? If it is PCM and other audio file types as well, it could be the Win 10 Update/Elevated Privilege bug, which is known to cause drag & drop to not work and in many cases an SF-10 activation error message and/or not opening at all.
See these Elevated Privilege threads:
https://www.magix.info/us/forum/program-will-not-open-unless-it-is-run-as-administrator--1207220/
https://www.magix.info/us/forum/sound-forge-requires-elevated-privileges-fixed-in-the-magix-version--1177664/?page=1

harry-a wrote on 7/19/2020, 9:16 PM

Is it just MP3 files that exhibit this behavior? If it is PCM and other audio file types as well, it could be the Win 10 Update/Elevated Privilege bug, which is known to cause drag & drop to not work and in many cases an SF-10 activation error message and/or not opening at all.
See these Elevated Privilege threads:
https://www.magix.info/us/forum/program-will-not-open-unless-it-is-run-as-administrator--1207220/
https://www.magix.info/us/forum/sound-forge-requires-elevated-privileges-fixed-in-the-magix-version--1177664/?page=1

Thanks for the response. Yeah, I had already deleted that folder in the registry. However, I can easily drag and drop into Audacity windows. What bugs me is that it used to work fine on this same machine and also that it works fine on my other PC and laptop. I sure do not want to reinstall it or re-image my machine. And, I have checked in Task Manager to confirm that I AM running it under elevated privileges! This is crazy! Why is it so hard to fix this?

rraud wrote on 7/20/2020, 10:31 AM

Try temporarily disabling anti-virus software?

Rub as administrator' is normally not necessary. The only thing I can think of is to uninstall SF with a third-party uninstaller (Revo Uninstall for instance) that cleans the pertinent left over data, then re-install if you have other SCS software installed, be wary of deleting shared files Revo has the option to pick and choose.

harry-a wrote on 7/20/2020, 10:36 AM

Try temporarily disabling anti-virus software?

Rub as administrator' is normally not necessary. The only thing I can think of is to uninstall SF with a third-party uninstaller (Revo Uninstall for instance) that cleans the pertinent left over data, then re-install if you have other SCS software installed, be wary of deleting shared files Revo has the option to pick and choose.

harry-a wrote on 7/20/2020, 10:43 AM

Thank you for diligently sticking with me through this.

I will try adding an exclusion to Windows Defender, though I did not need to on the other machines. Indeed, Revo Uninstaller has been my choice of uninstall software for years, and that is what I used to uninstall the previous three times, to no avail. In addition, I even used RegScanner, thereafter, to scan the registry manually for leftover items. Tried all that. It seems the only solution is to go back to a slash and burn method, which I do not want to do, but might have to. You see, I have a disk image containing everything right down to the tiniest tweak, but as Murphy would have it, SoundForge was behaving this way when I unknowingly created the image! :-( But, it is bizarre this is happening as i have tried all the tweaks Google could throw at me!

Thanks.