Track list option

Jerry-Belknap wrote on 5/21/2021, 7:21 AM

I upgraded to ver 15 of Sound Forge and I have an audio file in the program that was recorded from a Cassette and I want to split it into MP3 files. Under the edit menu when the Track List option is selected and the drop down menu for it appears but all options are grayed out and not accessible. What am I missing? Review of the manual was not helpful.

Sound Forge 15 on Windows 10.

Comments

rraud wrote on 5/21/2021, 10:35 AM

The songs must first be divided into 'Regions', either manually or by 'Auto Region'. A live album would likely need to be 'Regioned' manually if there are no silent spaces. The 'Auto Region tool's sensitively can also be tweaked. I do not know if AS (Audio Studio) has these options.

The regions can also be extracted to single files if need be. A track list could then be written with another program or manually to a text file with an extension change. <.m3u> for instance.

btw, welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users forum @Jerry-Belknap.

Jerry-Belknap wrote on 5/21/2021, 2:35 PM

Thank you for the prompt reply, I was using 12.6 and upgraded to 15 and the interface is considerably different. First I am unable to locate the auto region option in any menu, second I manually parced my file into regions using the insert region option. In 12.6 when I saved as MP3 I had an option to save as one file or split into separate track files. In 12.6 I could change the regions into tracks and thus saved separate song files. When I click the Regions icon in the Export section of the menu it asks for a directory and I select the one desired and then OK. The program returns an operation complete after approximately 2 seconds and the directory selected is vacant. I can view the regions in the list regions option. I have changed the regions to tracks with the same results. ???

Jerry-Belknap wrote on 5/22/2021, 6:53 AM

As a follow up to my last statement, I discovered that the Regions Icon has a pop up prompt that states files will be created in the original directory however upon clicking the icon a file explorer box pops up prompting for a directory. If any directory other than the original then the operation fails with a pop up stating operation complete after about 2 seconds and the selected directory is empty. If on the other hand the original directory is selected then the operation completes successfully. I believe it would be better if when the icon is clicked the operation is completed without a prompt for the directory, failing that the pop up should be noted to select the original directory. I still am unable to locate the auto regions feature. I assume that your original statement above references the ability to tweak the sensitivity and not the full function as this function was available in 12.6. The manual could be a bit more robust in detailing in my opinion. Thanks again for your review of this question.

rraud wrote on 5/22/2021, 9:37 AM

The low cost Audio Studio version apparently does not have the 'Auto Region' feature. Sorry.
Manually inserting regions for record albums is relatively easy though. Silent spaces between songs are easy to visually ID.

Jerry-Belknap wrote on 5/22/2021, 12:30 PM

Thanks for the follow up, I will use the Audio Cleaning Lab for the auto select function. Just thought it would be included in 15 as it is a simple piece of coding that is available on several low end programs. I may reinstall 12.6 in place of 15, you know the saying about old dogs.......

Rednroll wrote on 5/22/2021, 1:45 PM

IMHO it sounds like you are over complicating what you need to do to complete this task. I would skip the entire regions and track list options you are trying to use. It seems to be just adding complications which aren't needed. Just look at the waveform window view of your recording and look for the spaces between songs. Select that area between the spaces waveform which should be one of the songs of your entire cassette recording. Grab that selection with your mouse and drag it outside of the current waveform view. This will create a new waveform window view with just the song data you selected from the complete recording window view. Now just save that separate window of the single song as an MP3 file. DONE!

Auto regions and things like that are nice, but when the audio is coming from a cassette which has a noise floor, having the auto-regions being created to what you actually want can be a bit sketchy. Just select what you actually want from the original recording view window and drag it out of that window. You could similarly do cut and paste to new window, but you're essentially doing the same thing by just dragging that selected audio data out of the original window, making things a bit easier/quicker.

Jerry-Belknap wrote on 5/23/2021, 5:45 AM

Again I appreciate your time and effort, the cut and paste of each track would in and of itself be an easy task however when the project requires the ripping of a significant number of old cassettes many of which are out of circulation the individual track manipulation can become tiresome. Looking for a more streamlined function in the process. I have other audio editing software that does what I needed but was disappointed that it was not included in a higher end product. Thanks again for your time.

rraud wrote on 5/23/2021, 9:55 AM

Upgrade to Sound Forge Pro, which has the auto-region sensitivity parameters. You quality for the upgrade discount since you purchased an earlier version. SF Pro also includes the legacy NR-2.0 and iZ's RX Elements restoration suites among other plug-ins.