the midi editor not letting me edit the notes.

scottharam wrote on 11/24/2011, 11:42 PM

I wrote a song in the midi editor.  Now I want to go and add another section, but editor won't let me.  When I double click on the object the midi editor comes up, but it changes the active range of the music.  My existing notes are way off to the left and greyed out.  It shows 115.3 bars, but moving the bar line doesn't work.  I can play the music, but it goes off the right end of the music and loops back through from the beginning. But it is playing in a greyed out area that it won't let me edit. 

It's about a 3 minute song.  It has 2 midi objects in it and nothing else.  It does not matter if I export the midi, and then bring it in to a different arrangement, It still won't let me edit the midi track.

I've had Music Maker MMX Premium about 2 weeks and I'm pretty sure this was all working until today.  I've tried upgrading to the latest version.  18.0.1.11 UDC2. No change.

I've tried restoring everything back to defaults.

I've tried pounding very hard on the keyboard, and cursing.  None of this helps.

This is frustrating the daylights out of me.

What am I doing wrong?  Is the program corrupted?

New Asus Intel running windows 7, 4 gig memory, 600 gig drives. M-audio USB adapter, but I'm doing  this completely on the computer.

Live in Austin, Texas, USA

Email: scottharam@yahoo.com

NOTE:  I am open to collaboration or correction.  If someone has an idea for improving a song, let me know.  I would be happy to send MIDI files or MMM files, if you want to work on it yourself.  I don't care.  I just want to make the best music possible.

Comments

Procyon wrote on 11/25/2011, 7:26 AM

It would be helpful if you could add a couple of screen shots (one of the arrangement and one of the MIDI Editor) so we can get a better understanding of what actually going on.

Are you saying that the MIDI Editor won't allow you to add any MIDI notes at all even though your initial composition is greyed out?

scottharam wrote on 11/25/2011, 9:12 AM

I can add midi notes, but not in the greyed out area, of course, but that's where the notes show up.

I am attaching 3 screen shots.

1 is the arrangement, two objects. Each is part of the song which I'm trying to figure out how to bridge with a middle part.

shot 2 is what I get when I double click the object on the right. 

screen shot 3 is what I can see if I scroll way off to the left: the notes are there, but I cannot edit them.

Hope this helps. 

Since all of this seemed to be working a couple of days ago, I am wondering if the MMX program or the midi file itself have gotten corrupted, but if I look at the midi events, it looks ok to me.  I can send you the midi file(s) or the entire arrangement if that would help.

It also might be helpful if there is a tutorial someplace on using the midi editor.  I tried reading the PDF manual, but that just addresses what mouse functions do what.

Thanks for your help!

Last changed by scottharam on 11/25/2011, 9:12 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

NOTE:  I am open to collaboration or correction.  If someone has an idea for improving a song, let me know.  I would be happy to send MIDI files or MMM files, if you want to work on it yourself.  I don't care.  I just want to make the best music possible.

Procyon wrote on 11/25/2011, 8:42 PM

Thank you very much for the screen shots.  It makes things so much easier.

As I suspected from the beginning, it looks like that MIDI object is in "overdub" mode.  This would allow you to create a new melody line over top of an existing melody line in the same object.  That's why your initial MIDI recording is greyed out and you are able to create new notes in the same space.  If you turn off the overdub mode (next to the record button), you should be able to edit your previous MIDI recording like normal.

scottharam wrote on 11/28/2011, 9:47 PM

Thanks for your help!

Last changed by scottharam on 11/28/2011, 9:47 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

scottharam wrote on 12/3/2011, 9:43 PM

Hey, Procyon--

I spoke too soon.  The Midi editor is misbehaving again. 

I have another very short piece, just midi, and wanted to add another section to the end of the file.  The midi editor won't go beyond the original 32 bars. 

I'm adding screen shots right up front this time.

What worked for me last time was exporting the midi file and then playing with it in Pro-tools, cutting the midi in pieces and then reassembling them.  Then bringing  them back into MMX. 

But this time, Protools won't even recognize the exported midi file. Turning overdub on or off makes no difference. 

I think the midi editor is corrupting the file somehow. 

I'll try to attach the midi file, if that is allowed.  Nope, won't let me.

Scott

Last changed by scottharam on 12/3/2011, 9:43 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

MatrixMushroom wrote on 6/20/2018, 12:34 PM

My midi editor had a different problem, whenever I went into it it would only show the magnifying glass icon, no matter how many other tools I pressed. Even though the pencil is selected, and showed as blue, my cursor is still a magnifying glass. 😟

johnebaker wrote on 6/20/2018, 4:01 PM

@MatrixMushroom

Please create a new topic if you are currently having an issue with the midi editor.

This topic is seven years old, does not relate to the issue have commented on and is for a very old version of the program.

John EB

Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.