Stuttering Plugin Chainer

Grump wrote on 4/6/2019, 12:52 AM

When adding any VST effect to a sound via the plugin chainer in Sound Forge Pro 12.1 and previewing I get severe stuttering when using my ASIO device (RME HDSP9632, latest driver). This does not happen when adding the same effect to the project and previewing using the FX favourites menu. Using the Microsoft Sound Mapper somewhat mitigates the issue, but obviously then I am restricted by the increased latency this introduces. Does anyone else notice the same behaviour?

Also, the plugin chainer no longer appears to have the option to non-destructively apply the chain (coming from Sound Forge Pro 10), and I need to save the file to apply the chain. Is there an option I'm missing?

Comments

rraud wrote on 4/6/2019, 2:55 PM

Yes, the plug-in chainer was changed starting with (SCS) Pro 11. To make it work more like it did in Pro 10, first select "Apply Plug-In Chain" in the FX Favorites menu, then add your desired plugs. If you go directly to the plug-in chainer as with SF-10, it is previewed but not written until the file is saved. You can also 'Save as' a SF project file <.frg>, which is totally non-destructive.
Otherwise, for a single plug-in, it works the same as Pro 10.
-- I have read reports of inconsistent preview when the plug-in chainer window is open, especially with the Waves plug-ins

Grump wrote on 4/6/2019, 4:22 PM

Thanks for the reply. I will have a look at the procedure you mention - is there a reason I'm missing as to how this new behaviour may be preferential to that seen in Sound Forge 10? It does seem to require a few extra clicks, and not really benefit at all as far as I can see.

I'm not using any Waves plugins but Native Instruments, Voxengo and iZotope mainly - unfortunately I'm essentially stuck using SF Pro 10 and Ozone standalone as I can't maintain my desired workflow with 12.1 due to the stuttering. Would be very keen to hear if anyone else is using an RME card under ASIO succesfully with SF 12?

rraud wrote on 4/6/2019, 5:46 PM

is there a reason I'm missing as to how this new behaviour may be preferential to that seen in Sound Forge 10? It does seem to require a few extra clicks, and not really benefit at all as far as I can see.

Preferential? Not for anyone I've encountered. I questioned this bone-headed change (and the record UI change) whilst beta testing Pro 11. SCS's response was deafeningly silent, but this was prior to Magix's acquisition.

I've not experienced any significant stuttering or other preview issues.. with Voxengo, iZotope.. and Waves plugs, but I do not use ASIO device settings with SF.

renato-s wrote on 4/8/2019, 12:13 PM

Magix damaged Sound Forge.

rraud wrote on 4/8/2019, 1:07 PM

The plug-in chainer and record UI was changed by SCS (Sony) prior the Magix acquisition, The plug-ins window display was also screwed up by SCS. i.e., parts of plug-in UI hidden off-screen when using a high-res monitors with higher than 'normal' DPI settings, but Magix fixed that .. somewhat, This to was not an issue with Pro 10 and prior.