Storage Online Cloud for music producers

SPow wrote on 1/30/2024, 12:57 PM

Hi. My computer has soon maxed out its storage from all the new downloads/soundpools/instruments. I was wondering if anyone has any tips for keeping the instruments/soundpools off the computer and any recommendations for companies they use.

(I have an online cloud Currysbackupcloud 4TB! but if I uploaded all of the soundpools/instruments to their online drive, maybe I couldn't access them if I wanted to create some music, I guess I could try as an example but what are others doing? Is the only answer, to get a computer with a very large storage space?)

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 1/30/2024, 1:18 PM

@SPow

Why not simply buy and install an external USB drive, preferably USB3 if your computer can handle it? They are available in many capacities, up to several Terabytes.

I have three external drives connected to my desktop (as well as multiple internal drives). Windows sees and can access them all. The external ones are used for storage of data, images, videos, audio, as well as documents etc.

I, too, have a cloud backup but would never consider using it "live", i.e., to access a file quickly in order to immediately use it on my computer. There can never be any guarantee that the internet connection will not fail at the most critical moment!

HTH

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

SPow wrote on 1/31/2024, 6:06 AM

Thank you Jeff, its reassuring to hear what you do. I do have an external drive!

I guess I am nervous of it malfunctioning and losing my stuff. I guess I could upload all the soundpools/creations to the online drive aswell for backup. It just seems like such a lot of work, but if there aren't any other suggestions from others (and apart from buying a larger expensive pc) then I can do that.

SPow wrote on 1/31/2024, 6:13 AM

MM makes copies of each backup in 3 forms: Soundforge files/WAV files/HO files. I guess I could delete a lot of those once I've finished with the song and keep one version of each. What are HO files?

emmrecs wrote on 1/31/2024, 8:07 AM

@SPow

I guess I am nervous of it malfunctioning and losing my stuff.

Yes, this can be a real concern.

In my case, in addition to the cloud service I use, LiveDrive, I also have one of my external drives almost exclusively used for daily or weekly back-ups of most of my other drives. For this I use Macrium Reflect. So, the data on the drives whose loss would cause me greatest pain is backed up "internally" (Macrium Reflect) and externally (LiveDrive). Some might consider this rather "overkill" but I have had a number of occasions when either or both of these have really "saved my life"!

.HO files are the ones which store the "graphics" of your audio files (i.e., what you see on the MM timeline within each object box).

What makes you think you also have Soundforge files?

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

SPow wrote on 2/2/2024, 5:42 AM

Thanks for your message. Yes the back ups say WAV files/HO files/ Soundforge Wave Project which are only 3KB. It goes to a folder called 'My Record' and has x3 of each for every backup.