Comments

SP. wrote on 7/26/2023, 5:40 PM

@Joachim-Vinson You could try changing the selected audio driver back and forth. To change the driver go into the program settings and then to the Audio/MIDI tab.

If this doesn't help I suggest you restart your computer. Please make sure you select the Restart option and not the Shut down option.

Joachim-Vinson wrote on 7/27/2023, 4:09 AM

Thanks, I'll try that. I have discovered something even weirder. The scratching noises are present after mastering in Magix, once I export to MP3 they are gone. I'll keep you posted, thanks for responding.

emmrecs wrote on 7/27/2023, 6:30 AM

@Joachim-Vinson

I think your latest post points to the issue being with your audio driver, as suggested by @SP.

Assuming you are mastering to .wav format, it would seem your computer cannot handle the date throughput of that format. .mp3 has a much reduced data rate/throughput when compared to .wav; hence your computer can handle it without those scratching noises!

Are you using an ASIO audio driver?

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Joachim-Vinson wrote on 7/27/2023, 7:25 AM

The scratching noises appear within Magix. If I play the piece before it is fine, then I use Mastering Suite but don't export. If I hit play while still in Magix the scratching noises appear. Yes I am using Asio audio driver and have done so ever since I started with Magix in March 2022. Before the update there were no noises after using Mastering Suite. I'll go through all the above suggestions and then report back :-) Thanks!

johnebaker wrote on 7/27/2023, 7:54 AM

@Joachim-Vinson

Hi

As the noises occur during playback in the program and not on the exports, this would suggest that the audio buffer sizes are too small - these are the settings I use:

Try increasing the lower 2 values one click at a time, the noises should disappear.

HTH

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Joachim-Vinson wrote on 7/27/2023, 8:09 AM

My buffers were half the size. I increased them but unfortunately that wasn't the solution. Still, thanks for alerting me to one possibility.

SP. wrote on 7/27/2023, 10:48 AM

@Joachim-Vinson The buffer settings above are not for the ASIO driver. The ASIO buffer settings can be found in the ASIO driver settings. Open the driver settings by clicking on the Advanced button. Try something large at first, for example 2048 samples. Reduce only, if you don't get any sound corruptions.

Joachim-Vinson wrote on 7/27/2023, 12:32 PM

That was it!!! I went to 2048 and the crackling noises were gone but I can get away with 1024 also.

Thanks to all of you for your help!!!

Achim

Campbell-McMahan wrote on 7/27/2023, 12:47 PM

I've been having the same problem for most of the day. I worked for several hours without any problems and then on playback noticed the clicking/scratching sounds. After reading this thread I made the suggested changes and it seemed to have worked. However, on returning to it a couple of hours later the same problems re-emerged. On the one occasion I was able to remove the problem the sound of one of the tracks changed dramatically. Now I can barely get the program to stay open long enough to try much else as it is repeatedly freezing and/or crashing.

Joachim-Vinson wrote on 7/27/2023, 12:53 PM

Sorry to hear that. I hope you'll be able to solve it. Unfortunately I am too much of a music production beginner to be able to help.

SP. wrote on 7/27/2023, 1:38 PM

@Campbell-McMahan Here are some general tips:

First of all, in case you encounter such problems always try to restart the computer. This can do wonders. Make sure you select the Restart option and not the Shut down option!

Next, make sure all pending Windows updates are installed. Sometimes Windows only installs an update halfway through which can lead to massive problems.

Also, don't install the newest Windows updates right away on the day of release in case they are bugged. The same is true for Music Maker updates. Better wait some time.

Try to update all drivers of your sound devices. Check the website of your computer manufacturer for the newest downloads.

If nothing of this helps you might try downloading and installing different ASIO drivers, for example the FL Studio ASIO driver (which you can get by installing the free FL Studio demo) or ASIO4ALL.

If something sounds very different after changing the driver settings, you might have changed the sound output to a device which has "enhancements" enabled, like EQ or compression. Usually ASIO playback in a music creation software will give you the pure sound while playing an audio file in Windows can sound very different depending on your Windows sound settings.

Joachim-Vinson wrote on 7/27/2023, 2:02 PM

Hi! Thanks! I am going to start a "Collected Wisdom" File for music production like I have for other topics. Once again, this is enormously helpful.