SoundForge Pro?

CaseyJ wrote on 6/9/2024, 2:57 PM

It's difficult to find where I can ask this. Keep getting routed back to the forum. So here is my question.

Years ago (at least back from 1998) I had a license and working copy of SoundForge. I use it for editing wav files. There's not been anything like that I have found that easily lets me do this sort of thing. I cannot find my license and have a computer without it. I am really missing it and wonder if some of the other products may do the trick for what I need to for, or if I have to get the current version which is quite a bit of change for me. I am doing this only as a hobby and am retired without much income to spend.

Comments

rraud wrote on 6/10/2024, 9:22 AM

Which version # did you have? If you had a Sony version,, which was from SF-6 (or 7) to 11 and was registered, you can look up the activation serial through Magix, which has the Sony database. However if you cannot recall your Sony log-in info (email and password) you may be SOL. As I recollect, the Sonic Foundry versions of Sound Forge came on a CD with the activation serial on the sleeve and needed to be installed directly from the disc which 'asked' for the serial upon installation. There was no online activation available at that time.. Sound Forge 3, 4, 4.5 and 5.

Otherwise Sound Forge Audio Studio is a low cost version and is still basically the same as the early versions so you will not have to totally relearn the program.

btw, welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users community @CaseyJ.

CaseyJ wrote on 6/14/2024, 6:16 PM

@rraud

Thank you for your response. I have a feeling I am SOL. It was the Sonic Foundry version and I have no idea where the CDs are.

You think Audio Studio is most similar to Sound Forge of the past? The price is much easier for me. All I want to do is edit wav files for my mixtapes (is that word still used?). I used to be able to take part of one track and mix it to a part of the next track for a whole new track. And then cut up the tracks where it makes sense. I loved the editor. It was very precise where I put my cursor and it was easy to place markers precisely where I wanted it to go.

Thank you.

emmrecs wrote on 6/15/2024, 3:57 AM

@theodore-mccormick

Welcome to the Magix user to user community.

Unfortunately, your first post here is to a thread with a subject very different to the question you have raised and so has been hidden. Please do not hijack another user's thread in this manner but rather start a new thread with your question, giving as much detail as you can about the problem and your computer.

Thank you.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

rraud wrote on 6/15/2024, 10:03 AM

You think Audio Studio is most similar to Sound Forge of the past?,

Basically, the UI is very similar, some functions have changed dramatically, Sonic Foundry versions prior to SF-5 did not have real-time preview. The record and plug-ins work flow has changed some since SF-10.. and also have an 'event' edit mode which is faster/easier to compile a "mixtape" with auto or manual x-fades if so desired.
Download the SFAS trial version to try out for 30 days, if you decide to purchase it, you will not have to reinstall or reconfigure, just enter a new activation serial code.

CaseyJ wrote on 6/15/2024, 1:27 PM

Thanks for the response. I am going to download it now and see if this will be a good fit for me. I will report back when I know.

CaseyJ wrote on 6/15/2024, 2:12 PM

Got it installed (which took a bit of time to complete), but not having a great time opening it. It's stuck at initializing audio engine. This isn't good at all.

Not sure if this is related, but I get this Magix Low Latency 2016 message in the task bar that appears for a minute or so, but it still won't open. I have my own audio card if that is part of the problem. Audiophile 2496.

rraud wrote on 6/16/2024, 10:17 AM

Hi @CaseyJ, try resetting Sound Forge. 'File> "Reset all preferences and clear cached data".. If you can not open Sound Forge to access the 'File' menu, hold down the 'Ctrl+Shift' keys whilst launching SF, which should open the reset/clear cache tool.

The Magix Low Latency 2016 driver was a relatively common issue in SFAS-16 which caused noise and other issues. Reports show it has also occurred with SFAS 17 occasionally. It is relatively easy to resolve and the driver is not really needed.
https://www.magix.info/us/forum/loud-static-noise--1328573/#ca1884716

CaseyJ wrote on 6/16/2024, 10:57 AM

Last night I uninstalled Music Maker, the Asio driver it installed and all the applications associated with it. Then I opened Audio Studio without any issues.

While there under Options > Preferences > Audio > Audio Device Type, I pointed it to M-Audio Delta ASIO (though Windows Sound Mapper works fine). I see the Magix Low Latency 2016 driver is an option, so I know it's not completely gone. But as long as I can open Audio Studio, I am fine.

I changed quite a bit of other settings, but one thing that is left over from the Music Maker installation was to nag me when I rebooted to purchase additional software. I disabled Update Notifier through Task Manager > Startup and hopefully that will end that, but I'd like to make sure everything associated with Music Maker is removed from my computer. I didn't particularly care for the app.

johnebaker wrote on 6/16/2024, 11:03 AM

@CaseyJ

Hi

. . . . I disabled Update Notifier through Task Manager . . . .

You can uninstall it if you do not need it.

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

CaseyJ wrote on 6/16/2024, 11:11 AM

@CaseyJ

Hi

. . . . I disabled Update Notifier through Task Manager . . . .

You can uninstall it if you do not need it.

John EB
Forum Moderator

Yes, I see that now. Thank you.

CaseyJ wrote on 6/21/2024, 3:34 PM

I cannot find a way to crossfade. Is that missing from Audio Studio? It was a nice feature in the old Sound Forge version I was running.

rraud wrote on 6/22/2024, 2:37 PM

I cannot find a way to crossfade

Use the "Event" mode for x-fades "Edit> Tools> Event"
Split the two 'songs' apart using the 'S' key to apply split points which will allow you to drag the song/event along the timeline. When "Automatic crossfades" is enabled in the "Options> Event" menu, the x-fade will be created when event edges are overlapped. Otherwise, x-fades can be adjusted manually by dragging the upper corner of the event.
In SF Pro, there is also an 'Edit> Event' menu which becomes active when the Event mode is enabled.

The Event tool is also good for other editing tasks like compiling a DJ mix of songs.

xman_charl wrote on 6/23/2024, 2:19 PM

have my crossfade icon visible menu bar, easy on off

use event tool every edit to get rid of commercials, add lead-ins/outs, 10 seconds music where commercial was

my 2 cents

rraud wrote on 6/23/2024, 4:29 PM

In addition, the 'D' key will scroll through the Edit> Tools toolbar icons; Edit (normal), Event, Pencil.

CaseyJ wrote on 6/23/2024, 4:47 PM

I am having trouble following all this. Are there any video tutorials?

I cannot find a way to crossfade

Use the "Event" mode for x-fades "Edit> Tools> Event"
Split the two 'songs' apart using the 'S' key to apply split points which will allow you to drag the song/event along the timeline. When "Automatic crossfades" is enabled in the "Options> Event" menu, the x-fade will be created when event edges are overlapped. Otherwise, x-fades can be adjusted manually by dragging the upper corner of the event.
In SF Pro, there is also an 'Edit> Event' menu which becomes active when the Event mode is enabled.

The Event tool is also good for other editing tasks like compiling a DJ mix of songs.

CaseyJ wrote on 6/23/2024, 4:54 PM

In addition, the 'D' key will scroll through the Edit> Tools toolbar icons; Edit (normal), Event, Pencil.

I feel like an idiot, but I do not see under Edit > Tools toolbar icons. Did I miss something with installation?

CaseyJ wrote on 6/23/2024, 4:55 PM

have my crossfade icon visible menu bar, easy on off

use event tool every edit to get rid of commercials, add lead-ins/outs, 10 seconds music where commercial was

my 2 cents

Is it called crossfade? I can see where I can go to Options > Preferences > Toolbars and add ones, but I cannot find what you display in your image.

rraud wrote on 6/24/2024, 10:18 AM

The SF toolbar editor is "View> Toolbars> Customize" (in both AS and Pro).
SF Audio Studio, does not have a toolbar icon available for "Automatic Crossfades". The screenshot from @xman_charl must be from SF Pro.
Otherwise, use the keyboard shortcut to enable/disable Auto Crossfades "Ctrl+Shift+X" Or you can add yo'own.