Sound from browser stops when starting Sound Forge Audio 16 on W11

Dale-Haaland wrote on 12/8/2023, 2:35 PM

I want to record the audio from a web site with either Firefox or Chrome. When start SoundForge Audio 16 on Windows 11 the sound stops and nothing is recorded. When I have a microphone enabled one would not want any system generated sound to show up on the recording. When I disable the mike it still does not show a choice to enable browser audio. How can I record the sound I want?

Comments

SP. wrote on 12/8/2023, 2:53 PM

@Dale-Haaland This depends on the audio driver. Some ASIO drivers like ASIO4ALL don't allow multiple applications to access the sound device.

You can set up the drivers in the program preferences.

Next, to record audio from your computer you need a sound card with an audio loopback feature. Most computers that come with a Realtek Audio chipset should offer 'Stereo Mix' for this. Please search on this forum or on Google how to enable Stereo Mix.

rraud wrote on 12/8/2023, 4:16 PM

Welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users community @Dale-Haaland,
This is what I have in my archived comments for "Recording-What -You-Hear":

'Some 'PCs allow "recording what you hear" natively, some do not,. All my Dell PCs allowed it,desktops and laptops going back to Win 95, OTOH, I had two Toshiba Satellites that could not without a third-party utility...
"Record what you hear" was originally a term used on the old Sound Blaster cards. On most RealTec cards, it is refereed to as "Stereo mix" so if that is what you have, open the Windows sound settings and select 'Stereo mix" instead of the mic (or whatever) as the Record source... Then... go to SF's Audio Device type settings and select "Stereo mix" as the "Audio Device type" in "Options> Preferences> Audio> (Record tab)". In either case, the speaker/headphone volume will control the record level.
Another option is using VB-CABLE, which is a virtual audio cable. The playback audio is throughput to the record device.

To record in Sound Forge:
- Select 'File> New' and set the desired sample rate and bit depth
- Go to 'View> Record options' and make an other changes if needed
- Leave the 'Record options' window open and select 'Arm' (aka, record ready) in the 'Transport' menu (or toolbar) (key shortcut: Ctrl+ Shift+ A) to view the record level meters and make any necessary level adjustments at the source or interface.
- Commence recording by selecting 'Record' in the transport menu (keyboard shortcut: Ctrl+R)
- Stop and Pause commands are also in the 'Transport' menu

Dale-Haaland wrote on 12/9/2023, 9:41 PM

Thanks for the ideas. I have made some progress but am not there yet. No time today to do more work and same tomorrow. I have been able to record using VB-Cable, but cannot hear what is recorded at the same time. That means it is impossible to capture a part of a longer audio segment since I cannot tell when to start and stop the recording. Is that not possible any longer ? I may try to see if I can get a prior version of Magix to work on an older Windows 10 system if I can get it all connected again. I am thinking that the current version (16) is not the software I can use to do recording on my newer Windows 11 running on an Intel NUC with built-in Realtek audio.

SP. wrote on 12/10/2023, 2:15 AM

@Dale-Haaland It would be helpful if you show us your audio driver settings and which input and output options you have available.

On my computer the following settings work fine.

Sound Forge > Preferences > Audio > Audio Device Type: Microsoft Sound Mapper.

In the Windows sound settings enable Stereo Mix in the Record settings and set it up as the standard recording device, which is very important.

rraud wrote on 12/10/2023, 12:36 PM

Hi @Dale-Haaland, the settings on my Win 10 Dell PC for 'Recording what you hear" are about the same as @SP. using the Sound Mapper device
Below are screen shots using the 'Classic Wave Driver which also works

As I previously stated, some PCs just cannot 'record what you hear' w/o additional software like VB-Cable.

Dale-Haaland wrote on 12/14/2023, 10:07 AM

It looks like this system does not have all the components to use MAGIX for recording. 😞 Wish I had known that before I bought it for this system. I have used it for many years on older systems but have not had the occasion to for some time. The attached files show the choices available. And I have pulled some necessary hardware from an older system so that option is not available to me now. Thanks for your assisting me in getting to the bottom of this.

SP. wrote on 12/14/2023, 10:22 AM

@Dale-Haaland Make a right click on the white area on the recording tab. In the right click menu you can show hidden devices.

Dale-Haaland wrote on 12/15/2023, 9:33 AM

Thank you for the idea. It did show another device used some time ago but it doesn't help in my current situation. It was a USB connected speaker that I had tested.

SP. wrote on 12/15/2023, 12:14 PM

@Dale-Haaland Please try the following: set VB-Cable as the default playback and recording device via the right click menu. Then open the the VB-Cable properties on the Recording tab and navigate to the Listen tab. Click on the checkbox to Listen to this device and select your speakers. I hope this works.

Dale-Haaland wrote on 12/16/2023, 3:03 PM

Thanks, but I have not been able to get this combination to work either.

SP. wrote on 12/16/2023, 3:29 PM

@Dale-Haaland Ok, that's a bummer to hear.

Then you basically need an audio interface with an audio loopback functionality.

johnebaker wrote on 12/17/2023, 4:18 AM

@Dale-Haaland

Hi

Do you have a pair of speakers or headphones plugged into the Realtek Audio speaker/headphones socket on the motherboard rear panel or front panel audio socket?

If so then then the following works for me, with no VB cable:

• In the Windows settings, Privacy & security, App permissions section, Microphone the option Let desktop apps access your microphone option is turned on.

• The Stereo mixer in Sound settings should be available, either to be enabled or is enabled. If this is not available then you may have the Windows cut down version audio drivers - I had a similar problem with the Windows 11 version drivers on my PC. You may be able to update these using genuine Realtek drivers for the audio chipset on the motherboard direct from Realtek if available - note you do so at your own risk.
  • In SFAS - the Audio setup, System options, Audio option is set to WDM.

• In the Recording settings the Audio input option, is set to Stereo Mix Realtek(R), and the Record what you hear is turned off - you may get echo if turned on.

HTH

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.