Sound forge Pro 16

Kev38 wrote on 6/6/2022, 9:30 AM

I already have and use SF pro 15. I have recently posted a problem with support concerning scrolling cursor whilst recording. The support guy said he'd replicated the problem and would pass it over to the technical guys. The ticket was then closed. I would like to know if the problem has been resolved in SFpro 16, but can't get through to anyone at Magix to speak to. Can anybody suggest how to get an answer?

Comments

rraud wrote on 6/6/2022, 9:58 AM

@Kev38, I do not see a mention of it in the recent SFP-16 Patch 1.2, Build 106 release notes, but it may have been addressed anyway. Install the update. You can email Magix about it. infoservice@magix.net

Kev38 wrote on 6/6/2022, 10:13 AM

Thanks rraud, but I'd like to know the answer before I fork out for the upgrade - which might not have the problem sorted anyway. I tried asking support what was going on when they closed the ticket, but got no reply.

rraud wrote on 6/6/2022, 12:18 PM

I tried asking support what was going on when they closed the ticket, but got no reply.

You would not get a response from <prosupport@magix.net> if the ticket was closed. If you do not get response from infoservice@magix.net, try shop@magix.net .

Try the trial version of SFP-16. The trial application is identical to the purchased app, except for the activation code.

If you describe the scrolling cursor behavior parameters, I will try to duplicate it in SFP-15.. and try the same in SFP-16..

Kev38 wrote on 6/6/2022, 1:12 PM

I was looking for a link to a trial version but didn't see one. I'll look a bit harder. The problem is, that when I'm recording a long file (I narrate audiobooks, so files can be 30-40 minutes long or more), the cursor during record scrolls to the right, hits the end and then jumps back to the centre, compressing the already recorded trace, and repeats that again and again, compressing the recorded trace into half a window - which after 30 minutes or so is virtually a solid trace. The most irritating part is when correcting mistakes as I go along (punch and roll), and I have to continually expand the trace until I can get to the spot I need to re-record from. What I want is a scrolling trace that doesn't compress all the time, like pretty much all the other DAWs do, even audacity!

rraud wrote on 6/6/2022, 1:28 PM

SFP-16 trial:
https://www.magix.com/us/free-download/sound-forge-pro/

I will try to duplicate the behavior.

Kev38 wrote on 6/7/2022, 5:28 AM

Uploaded version 16, and have the same problem on record. Obviously not fixed yet.

rraud wrote on 6/8/2022, 10:08 AM

@Kev38, the 'abnormal' behavior was able to duplicate was, the cursor disappears after it reaches the end of the timeline on both SFP-15 and 16. Is this the behavior you are experiencing?
In any case, as a work-around, if you select the 'Center Cursor' toolbar or keyboard command (backslash \ or period .) whilst recording, the cursor remains centered throughout the record duration. I recorded approx 40 min and the cursor remained centered in both SFP 15 and 16. I hope this helps you out some.

btw, the 'M' key will add a marker to the timeline whilst recording, which makes it easy to find and review a specific segment afterwards.

Kev38 wrote on 6/9/2022, 5:34 AM

OK, tried that but had no effect, the cursor still keeps scrolling to the rhs and then jumping back to centre, compressing the audio trace into the lhs of the window, and repeats this over and over. I tried 'center cursor' from the toolbar and also the '.' and '\', none worked. Have I got some setting wrong in the initial setup?

Kev38 wrote on 6/9/2022, 8:03 AM

Hi, I've been messing around with the various options to center the cursor, and I've found that if I hold the \ or period down for a few seconds after I've started recording, it will stay centered. That's great, what I wanted, but when I stop recording to correct an error, the trace jumps back to fully zoomed out to show the full trace. This is a bit of a pain as I need to accurately find the position to start recording from again, which means a lot of zooming in again and scrolling across the trace. Is there any way to stop this happening?

rraud wrote on 6/9/2022, 9:02 AM

I will look into that.
What do you mean by "trace"? Can I assume you are referring to the audio 'Waveform' (in the Timeline).

Kev38 wrote on 6/9/2022, 10:10 AM

Yes, sorry, waveform.

john_barr wrote on 6/9/2022, 12:44 PM

Hi, Kev38. Send message to @Derik and report this behavior.

rraud wrote on 6/9/2022, 4:29 PM

In SFP-16, the timeline 'zoom' function returns to the default setting after recording is stopped.. which I think is full out (1:1, depending on the duration of the file). The 'default' Normal factor can be changed in "Options> Preferences> Display", so it should revert the the default when recording is ceased. You can also change the keyboard shortcut and use that to revert to your preferred normal zoom setting if it is set different for record, The same goes for the two custom zoom settings.

There is also a setting in 'Options> Preferences> General' to return the cursor to the original start point, otherwise it remains at the pause point. I assume SPF-15 is the same, though there were changes during the SFP-15 publication when the 'rewind' option was added. The "F12 Play/Pause instead of Play/Stop" setting can affect this as well.

I think this may be more of a design issue than a 'bug'. You can contact the Magix staff regardless and request a change.

Kev38 wrote on 6/10/2022, 4:25 AM

Thanks. I used the second point you highlighted, and it works well with the return cursor setting at remain at pause point. However, strangely this morning it won't apply the \ or . to keep the cursor centered. Weird. Anyhoo, I'll try my next recording with the options you've suggested and see how it goes. Many thanks for all your help.

rraud wrote on 6/10/2022, 11:07 AM

@Kev38, the timeline must be zoomed in to a certain point for center cursor and auto-scroll to work smoothly.
Otherwise in SFP-16, the 'Enter' key will Pause recording and the 'Spacebar' will rewind to the starting point. However when rewound, resuming record will overwrite what was previously there. These key commands were screwed up in some of the SFP-15 builds and I am not sure this issue was ever fully fixed in the final SFP-15 build (161).
The 'Create regions' check-box in the "Record Options> Mode" settings can also facilitate the recordind process. For instance, when a recording is temporarily Paused or Rewound, new Region markers will be created when recording is resumed indicating the Pause or Rewind points.

Kev38 wrote on 6/10/2022, 12:10 PM

Thanks for that, I'll try out your suggestions. Also, someone from support contacted me about the problem (he was my original contact with support) and said he'd take my problem up with the developers. I've sent him a video of the problem and hopefully they will be able to sort it out.

Last changed by emmrecs on 6/10/2022, 2:05 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

Reason: To remove name of Magix personnel, publication of which is forbidden under Community rules