Sound Forge Pro 11 not detecting iZotope plugin

Damon-Lynch wrote on 3/21/2021, 3:59 PM

Hi everyone, this is my first post here and I'm somewhat new to plenty of things audio related. 😃

I own the PC version of Sound Forge Pro 11. I've updated it to the latest Magix version (build 345). It doesn't recognize a trial version of  iZotope Nectar 3 Plus. Is that because Sound Forge Pro 11 is simply too old, or because I should have instructed the iZotope Nectar 3 Plus installer to do something other than its default setup procedure?

Thanks.

Comments

condex wrote on 3/21/2021, 7:05 PM

Third party plugins usually don't automatically get identified by Sound Forge Pro (SFP); consequently, it is necessary to point SFP to the folder/s where the plugins are stored on the C drive. To do this in SFP, select Options/Preferences/VST Effects (tab). There, you should find 2 empty search fields. Use one of them to locate and select C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg. SFP will then load all the vst plugins in that folder and its subfolders. This is the folder to which iZotope plugins usually install; however, if they are not there, have a look under C:|Program Files (x86)\VSTPlugins.

The above will load the 32 bits vst plugins. The 64 bits vst plugins can be found in C:\Program Files\Steinberg and/or C:\Program Files\VSTPlugins, but I cannot recall if SFP 11 works with 64 bits vst plugins.

Once loaded into SFP, the plugins can be found by selecting FX Favorites and then Organize.

Damon-Lynch wrote on 3/21/2021, 8:03 PM

Thank you. I hadn't thought about the possibility that new iZotope plugins are 64-bit only and Sound Forge Pro 11 is 32 bit only — which is the case. So SFP 11 is just too old.

It's a little surprising to me that SFP 15 comes with two basic iZotope plugins but iZotope does not return the favor by listing SPF as an officially supported host.

rraud wrote on 3/22/2021, 11:21 AM

Most of the iZotope's plug-ins have a VST-2 versions to use on 32 bit PCs and host apps.

OTOH, 32 bit VST plug-ins typically run just fine on 64 bit hosts., With Direct X plugs, some do, and some don't.

As @condex stated, default and alternate search folders must be assigned in SF. FWIW, and most VST files <.dll>, are by default installed to the 'Program files>Steinberg > VST' folder. For 32 bit VSTs, 'Program Files (x86)> Steinberg'. The <.dll> files can usually be moved to a alternate folder if that makes things easier.

btw. @Damon-Lynch welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users forum.

emmrecs wrote on 3/22/2021, 11:30 AM

@rraud

32 bit VST plug-ins typically run just fine on 64 bit hosts

Hi Rick.

Is this not dependent on the 64 bit host including some kind of bridge to allow 32 bit plugins to run in a 64 bit environment?

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Samplitude Pro X7 Suite, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

rraud wrote on 3/22/2021, 11:55 AM

HI Jeff, no wrapper is needed (as was the case when SF was Direct X only), most of (if not all of) my 32 bit VST plug-ins run just fine in 64 bit versions of Vegas Pro and Sound Forge Pro. I think they must be placed in one of the x86 Program Files VST folders though ('Steinberg> VST' for instance), and this is where I place the <.dll> file if adding them manually. Otherwise, they are usually placed there if the plug-in has an installer.
I do not think the SF AS (Audio Studio) version would be any different.

Damon-Lynch wrote on 3/22/2021, 7:11 PM

Thanks again everyone, and thanks for the welcome! I chatted with iZotope support. Some of their plugins that were recently 32 bit compatible no longer are e.g. Nectar 3 Plus (64 bit only) replaces Nectar 3 standard (32 bit compatible). As an aside their plugins look very nice and lovely, but they sure are expensive.

Walter.I wrote on 3/23/2021, 3:56 AM

As an aside their plugins look very nice and lovely, but they sure are expensive.

The "Elements" versions are cheap - if that's enough for you.
There are also promotions every now and then where things get really cheap.

CPU: Intel i9-9900KS 4GHz, (UHD Graphics 630,)
MB: ASUS TUF Z390-PLUS Gaming,
MEM.: 32 GB Ram, DDR4-3200
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660 SUPER,
Storage: SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2, SSD 860 EVO Series 1TB, Toshiba 3TB SATA,
Soundforge Pro 14, Build 111

rraud wrote on 3/23/2021, 11:12 AM

@Damon-Lynch, If you still have (or can get) the 32 bit Nectar installer, and had previously activated it though iZotope, it should still reactivate and work.

As @Walter.I stated, iZ occasionally has very attractive sales, For instance, their holiday sale in Dec. offered Ozone, RX and Nectar, and another of the Elements series for $30 (usd).

xman_charl wrote on 3/23/2021, 11:21 PM

using sound forge version 15.0 (Build 27) 64 bit

using nectar for several months

below is what is installed

rraud wrote on 3/24/2021, 10:28 AM

Sound Forge Pro 12 and later versions support VST-3. SF-11 does not. SF-11 needs the VST-2 (32 bit) plugs.
(AAX is typically a Pro Tools plug-in format and is not supported by any version of SF (or Vegas).