Sound Forge Audio Studio Loud White Noise Sound from Right Speaker

DGN wrote on 10/9/2021, 3:45 PM

I'm running Sound Forge Audio Studio 15 on a Dell XPS15 laptop. A problem has arisen that I've not been able to solve.

Intermittently, when I try to play an audio file with Sound Forge Audio Studio there is a loud, white noise hissing sound coming from the right speaker of the XPS15. The same thing happens with headphones. After this starts and even when I close Sound Forge the same white noise hissing occurs when I try to play a video on YouTube. Restarting the computer will stop the hissing with YouTube but once I open Sound Forge it will (sometimes) start again. Then sometimes Sound Forge will work fine with no noise from the right speaker. I spent an hour or so with Dell Tech Support trying different diagnostics and techniques to try to solve the issue and discovered that the cause of this problem is definitely Sound Forge as it does not happen with Audacity, Adobe Premier Elements or any other program that has an audio component.

Any help that any of you can offer will be very much appreciated!

Wishing you all the best!

David

Comments

rraud wrote on 10/9/2021, 5:04 PM

Hi @DGN, have you updated AS (Audio Studio) to build 90?
https://www.magix.com/us/support/my-service-center/product-downloads/

Try a different audio device type.. 'MS Sound Mapper' and 'Windows Classic Wave Driver' are usually trouble free . The audio device setting is in the "Options> Preferences> Audio" menu. for SF Pro, AS may differ some.

There was also an issue with Audio Studio's low latency driver, See this post.

btw, the Dell laptops sound is flaky in general. l had to disable the Waves audio 'enhancement' utility on my XPS 9550, but I still have occasional problems when plugging/unplugging headphones, which usually requires a restart or disable/re-enable the Realtec Speakers/Headphones driver.

DGN wrote on 10/10/2021, 4:32 PM

Hi rraud,

I have installed the latest build and that didn't fix the problem - but I found the solution in this forum.

thouston found the answer: https://www.magix.info/us/forum/hiss-white-noise--1276238/#ca1678013

It is, once again, the "Magix Low Latency 2016" driver that's the culprit, even though I was not using that driver with Sound Forge AS. (It had previously caused significant problems with Cakewalk by Bandlab and I should have thought of it as I was trouble shooting this issue.)

All traces of it have been deleted from the Windows registry and I've not had the white noise hissing problem since.

Many thanks to thouston!