Sound Forge Audio Studio 15 Copy and Paste Bug

DGN wrote on 5/10/2021, 4:52 PM

I recently upgraded to Sound Forge Audio Studio 15.

Dell XPS15 Laptop - Windows 10

Having a problem and hope someone can help. (For now I've given up on trying to send this to Magix tech support as I can't find any way to do that - but that's another topic)

Here's the issue:

With an open .wav file, I select part of the file and then copy it.

I want to paste the copied selection to the end of the open .wav file.

When I past it either all the data in the .wav file disappears and I'm left with a blank file

or the data is pasted to the end of the open .wav file but when I try to play the file

it won't play. Clicking the play button or the spacebar causes the name of the file (at the bottom left of Sound Forge)

to change back and forth from regular text to italic text and the rate slider (also at the bottom left) to go from 0.00 to 1.00

I'm really so annoyed at how this formerly usable software has, since Magix bought it, become so buggy.

Any help from the community would be greatly appreciated (and any suggestions on how to send bug reports to Magix would be most welcome.)

Wishing you all the best!

David

Comments

rraud wrote on 5/10/2021, 6:00 PM

Is the copied data and the destination the same sample rate and bit depth? Is all the data from the same file type (PCM for instance)?

DGN wrote on 5/10/2021, 10:47 PM

Hi rraud,

Thanks for responding to my query.

Yes, the data is copied from within the .wav file itself - from a selected part of the .wav file and the effort is to paste the copied part of the file into the original file so the sample rate and bit depth should be the same.

Update: Well ... I just opened the file that I had trouble with earlier today and was able to copy and paste with no problem. Also worked with other .wav files as well as .mp3s. In the last few minutes I've copied and pasted and played a number of files many times.

rraud? Do have have the psychic ability to fix software problems remotely?? :)

If so, thank you very much!

If not ... I wonder what's going on???

rraud wrote on 5/11/2021, 9:38 AM

Do have have the psychic ability to fix software problems remotely?? :)

Yes, right after my second COVID vaccine injection.. along with the ability to communicate with my replica on Planet X.

petran79 wrote on 8/27/2022, 12:27 PM

I have the same issue too. Directly pasting one segment into a sound file from another sound file makes sound playback freeze. Even if I undo the paste , same issue, even after the autoconversion message appears.

Even if I close the files and reopen them.

Only solution is to restart Sound Forge and then the sound files play fine. But it makes Sound Forge unusable for copying and pasting.

If I try to save the file, it becomes empty and is ruined too

This does not happen with other sound editors like Audacity for example.

rraud wrote on 8/28/2022, 10:15 AM

What format are your source files @petran79 (PCM, MP3, AAC, ect) ? Are the sample rates and bit depths (if applicable) the same?

petran79 wrote on 8/28/2022, 11:36 AM

initially I thought it was because sound files were external (via Avidemux), yet they play fine in sound forge

But I tried to record audio in Sound Forge via microphone using the same settings for 3 audio files and saved them as wav, same setting (44khz, 16bit,mono).

they reproduce fine

but if I copy any segment of the recorded files and paste it directly to any other file, sound will not play at all afterwards and the audio I paste the segment dissappears completely becoming empty. Even if I undo paste, it remains empty.

Sound in the untouched file does not play either.

If I click play, the white selection line disappears and does not progress.

If I select a part of the sound file and click play, same issue. Copy-paste function is useless because of this

another perhaps relevant issue is this.

I have to restart SF for them to play again. Yet if instead I just close and reopen them, sound does not play.

however the white line blinks if I click on the 2 of them but disappears if I select the third. however it will stop progressing in any file if I click play.

Also rate goes automatically from zero to one if I click play but that is normal.

However if they reproduce with sound, white line blinks and progresses on all 3 of them as it should

If the problem appears and I close and reopen the files, it does not make any difference

If I close sound Forge and reopen it, files play fine.

rraud wrote on 8/28/2022, 12:12 PM

I cannot duplicate the behavior, try re-setting/clear cache. If that does not help, Uninstall> reinstall. It is usually best to use a third-party uninstaller which scans for leftover data. Revo Uninstall for instance..

Out of curiosity, try doing the paste procedure with the 'Event Tool.

craig-d wrote on 8/29/2022, 1:22 AM

i've tried reproducing this as well, but for me it seems to work properly. i'll keep trying and see what i can come up with.

petran79 wrote on 8/29/2022, 1:49 PM

Problem solved and it was not easy to spot.

The culprit was the clipboard manager (Comfort Clipboard Pro in this case)

After I disabled its clipboard tracking, everything worked fine.

DGN wrote on 9/17/2022, 3:03 PM

Wow! Clearing the Clipboard and changing some of the settings fixed the problem for me as well. Thanks so much!