Sound Forge ASIO Driver Poor Implementation

Jamil-Taylor wrote on 3/11/2021, 7:18 AM

This is an issue that exists with various versions of Sound Forge. I am facing it now on the latest Sound Forge version 15. The issue is that Sound Forge hard wires all current ASIO devices that exist during the time of install into the registry under:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MAGIX\SOUND FORGE Pro\<Sound Forge Version>\Metrics\Audio Hardware\Classes\ASIO Driver Class\<ASIO Device Reference>

Upon launch of Sound Forge if the device then does not exist, a reinstall of that driver is initiated. In most cases the reinstall cannot complete, because the install location is temporary referring to files that no longer exist. This should not be happening anyway, because a user may have removed the device and intentionally uninstalled its drivers. Why the software was designed to behave this way is a mystery. Does this go through QA testing?

Anyway, I removed a DAC and uninstalled all drives for it. It no longer exists in my system. Starting Sound Forge 15 is attempting to force a reinstall of the drivers I intentionally uninstalled. This is poor software design and needs to be properly thought out. I am working-around this poor design decision by manually deleting all invalid ASIO driver references that exists in the location I specified above. I will reboot after doing this to see if the issue as a result of the poor design is now resolved.

Others will also face this. I will let you know if my work-around is successful.

Comments

rraud wrote on 3/11/2021, 9:45 AM

I have never experienced ASIO issues with SF. ASIO is not usually needed anyway, since it is not a multi-track app and overdubbing is not supported. I use the Sound Mapper or Classic Wave driver device types.
The Focusrite interfaces are notorious for ASIO issues in Vegas and SF.

Jamil-Taylor wrote on 3/11/2021, 11:31 AM

This is an issue that exists with various versions of Sound Forge. I am facing it now on the latest Sound Forge version 15. The issue is that Sound Forge hard wires all current ASIO devices that exist during the time of install into the registry under:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MAGIX\SOUND FORGE Pro\<Sound Forge Version>\Metrics\Audio Hardware\Classes\ASIO Driver Class\<ASIO Device Reference>

Upon launch of Sound Forge if the device then does not exist, a reinstall of that driver is initiated. In most cases the reinstall cannot complete, because the install location is temporary referring to files that no longer exist. This should not be happening anyway, because a user may have removed the device and intentionally uninstalled its drivers. Why the software was designed to behave this way is a mystery. Does this go through QA testing?

Anyway, I removed a DAC and uninstalled all drives for it. It no longer exists in my system. Starting Sound Forge 15 is attempting to force a reinstall of the drivers I intentionally uninstalled. This is poor software design and needs to be properly thought out. I am working-around this poor design decision by manually deleting all invalid ASIO driver references that exists in the location I specified above. I will reboot after doing this to see if the issue as a result of the poor design is now resolved.

Others will also face this. I will let you know if my work-around is successful.

My work-around successfully resolved the bad code created by the Sound Forge development team. When you experience this issue, this is the fix. Delete all ASIO devices that are no longer associated with your system from the registry location I indicated above, reboot Windows, and the issue will be resolved.

This is bad code written by the ones who coded this.

rraud wrote on 3/11/2021, 12:14 PM

Thank-you for the contribution. Please notify the developers at Magix Tech Support with your findings. This is a users forum and no one here is a Magix employee and can implement changes.

Jamil-Taylor wrote on 3/11/2021, 12:43 PM

You are welcome. Unfortunately, My experience with reporting bugs and issues has been less than ideal. Based on what happened previously, it simply wastes my time.