Sound Forge 17 - 'Single/multi Instance behaviour' malfunction

TripleXL wrote on 6/22/2023, 4:02 AM

After receiving help from @rraud (on Sound Forge 16) with the 'internal' menu, and setting the single instance behaviour default to 'TRUE', the issue still remained even though the setting in the 'internal' menu still shows as 'TRUE'.

I upgraded to 17, in the hope that it would fix my issues (evidently the old adage "a fool and his money are soon parted" rings deafeningly loud).

I've tried this multiple times with both standard and elevated permissions. Cleared the settings completely. Uninstalled, cleared ALL signs of Magix on my PC's, restarted and reinstalled...no progress with the issue.

Upon doing more trials with the settings, I found that this doesn't always happen with .WAV files but it seems that the issue happens 90% of the time with .FLAC and .MP3 in particular.

When I uncheck the 'always proxy compressed formats' option, that particular issue seems to go away. Unfortunately, it then creates a new problem - when saving the file to a lossy format (eg. MP3) it introduces skips/artefacts into the audio.

It seems that I cannot have both options enabled. This is REALLY disappointing and I'm desperate for a fix/workaround.

I do edits for DJing and also use the software for sampling my own CD rips but, since SF 14 I've had nothing but issues and I really don't want to ditch SF as I love using it and have done since SF 5.

Any help would be great, please.

Thank you,

Wayne

Comments

rraud wrote on 6/22/2023, 11:19 AM

Hi @TripleXL, with Sound Forge Audio Studio 17, I can confirm the single-instance behavior mode is enabled regardless of the 'Internal' menu setting. However the 'multi and single-instance' behavior in SF Pro 17 functions normally.. where "False" is the default (multi-instance) and "True" is the alternate (single-instance). However, If you have "Append to current data" selected (in the Open window), that will add an additional opened file to the existing timeline in either mode.
I suggest requesting a Magix Support ticket to notify Magix of this issue. I will also mention this to support management.

when saving the file to a lossless format (eg. MP3) it introduces skips/artifacts into the audio.

MP3 is a 'lossy' format in terms of data compression (and audible quality) so the 'proxy' setting may be necessary. FLAC is also a data compression format, despite the 'lossless' tag (which refers to audible content) and may need the 'proxy' setting as well. PCM does not compress the data and is technically and audibly lossless.

Otherwise, encoding MP3 files in the CBR (constant bit rate) mode, can reduce streaming (playback) issues.

TripleXL wrote on 6/22/2023, 12:13 PM

Hi @TripleXL, with Sound Forge Audio Studio 17, I can confirm the single-instance behavior mode is enabled regardless of the 'Internal' menu setting. However the 'multi and single-instance' behavior in SF Pro 17 functions normally.. where "False" is the default (multi-instance) and "True" is the alternate (single-instance). However, If you have "Append to current data" selected (in the Open window), that will add an additional opened file to the existing timeline in either mode.
I suggest requesting a Magix Support ticket to notify Magix of this issue. I will also mention this to support management.

when saving the file to a lossless format (eg. MP3) it introduces skips/artifacts into the audio.

MP3 is a 'lossy' format in terms of data compression (and audible quality) so the 'proxy' setting may be necessary. FLAC is also a data compression format, despite the 'lossless' tag (which refers to audible content) and may need the 'proxy' setting as well. PCM does not compress the data and is technically and audibly lossless.

Otherwise, encoding MP3 files in the CBR (constant bit rate) mode, can reduce streaming (playback) issues.

Sorry, rraud. I misspoke there and know all-too-well that mp3 is a lossy format.

I'm having lots of senior moments today 😭

I'll definitely submit a ticket at support as this really does affect how I use the software.

Thanks for your response, yet again.

rraud wrote on 6/22/2023, 4:31 PM

@TripleXL, if you have not yet requested a Magix support ticket, the revised procedure is still a bit confusing.
See this comment for step-by-step instructions,

btw, I emailed my contact at Magix management about the 'instance mode' setting issue.

TripleXL wrote on 6/23/2023, 3:03 AM

@TripleXL, if you have not yet requested a Magix support ticket, the revised procedure is still a bit confusing.
See this comment for step-by-step instructions,

btw, I emailed my contact at Magix management about the 'instance mode' setting issue.

That's a tad long-winded, isn't it. I've just submitted a ticket :-)

As always, thanks for the help!

rraud wrote on 6/23/2023, 2:13 PM

Hi @TripleXL,
Upon further investigation, which indicated the single/multi 'issue' exists in both Studio and Pro 14, 15, 16 and 17, However it not a bug, just a (user) procedure.
To elaborate, when a secondary file is opened within Sound Forge's "Open" command, the 'new' file is added to the same instance of Sound Forge regardless of the 'Internal> Single and Multi-instance" True/False' setting with it's own timeline. To get a new instance of SF, the internal 'instance' menu is set to 'TRUE'. The secondary file must be selected outside of Sound Forge, directly through Windows Explorer ('Open with' for instance) then, a new instance of the application is launched along with the selected file. Or just launch SF (via a shortcut) and add the file there when it opens.
The 'single/multi instance' option was introduced in a mid-build of version-14. The default is 'multi-instance'.
Sorry for the confusion and I apologize for not investigation the issue further when your topic was initially posted. In any case.. the procedure works to open the multiple instances. I hope this helps.
Regards,
Rick, forum moderator