Sound Forge 17 Pro 32 Bit Float Recording with Zoom F6

Phil-Lewin wrote on 11/27/2023, 2:58 PM

So If I start my zoom F6 in multi track float audio interface. I can record successfully in wavelab pro.If I select new file in sound forge and select 32 bit (IEEE float) and hit record I get the error:-

An error occurred during the current operation.

An unsupported media type was requested.

Details:- In 1/In 2 does not support 32-bit floating point input.

If I select 32 bit (non float) then it records fine and saves 32 bit wav.

I cannot find any examples of anyone recording 32 bit float via audio interface with sound forge pro 17 or older.

Anyone else got a Zoom F6 or other device with 32 bit float interface capability and has it working?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Phil

Comments

Phil-Lewin wrote on 11/28/2023, 1:48 PM

Hi,

Specs for SF Pro 17 say it supports 32 and 64 bit float. I just loaded a 32 bit float wav and save as has all of the options to save including as 96000Hz 32 bit (IEEE Float) Stereo PCM(float).

I can record on the F6 and then copy over and import the 32 bit float files but this is the step I want to skip. I want to use audio interface and record directly into sound forge and save on PC.

Original problem is I am getting Audio: 96,000 Hz, 32 Bit, Stereo, PCM being recorded via the F6 audio interface in Multi Track Mode Float. Saving to disk and loading in VLC shows codec playback:- Codec: PCM S32 LE (s32l), Sample rate: 96000 Hz, Bits per sample: 32. So is it sound forge converting audio interface 32bit float to 32bit integer behind the scenes?

Checking audio interface with VB-Audio ASIO Test 1.0.1.4 It shows:-

#0001 ------------------------------------------------------
#0002 (64Bits) TEST ASIO DEVICE: ZOOM F6 ASIO Driver
#0003 PREPARE DEVICE: sr:96000 Hz / buffer: 2048 smp / in: 6 / out: 4
#0004 Latency: in:2298 smp / buffer: 2048 smp / out: 5383 smp / total: 101.34 ms
#0005 Must Call ASIOOutputReady(): YES
#0006 -----------------------------------------------------------
#0007  ASIO Buffer 0 / Input / type:19 / ASIOSTFloat32LSB (In 1)
#0008  ASIO Buffer 1 / Input / type:19 / ASIOSTFloat32LSB (In 2)
#0009  ASIO Buffer 2 / Input / type:19 / ASIOSTFloat32LSB (In 3)
#0010  ASIO Buffer 3 / Input / type:19 / ASIOSTFloat32LSB (In 4)
#0011  ASIO Buffer 4 / Input / type:19 / ASIOSTFloat32LSB (In 5)
#0012  ASIO Buffer 5 / Input / type:19 / ASIOSTFloat32LSB (In 6)
#0013  ASIO Buffer 6 / Output / type:19 / ASIOSTFloat32LSB (Out 1)
#0014  ASIO Buffer 7 / Output / type:19 / ASIOSTFloat32LSB (Out 2)
#0015  ASIO Buffer 8 / Output / type:19 / ASIOSTFloat32LSB (Out 3)
#0016  ASIO Buffer 9 / Output / type:19 / ASIOSTFloat32LSB (Out 4)
#0017 -----------------------------------------------------------

As mentioned in original post WAVLab pro recognised and used 32 bit float from audio interface and saved 32 bit float as expected (This was a 30 day trial and just missed out on black Friday sale).

Anyone using 32 bit float audio interface with sound forge pro 17?

SP. wrote on 11/28/2023, 2:17 PM

@Phil-Lewin Is the Zoom ASIO driver selected in the Sound Forge program preferences?

32 Bit float only has 24 Bit precision, as far as I know, so you would lose 8 Bits of data for each sample compared to 32 Bit integer. But I don't think that this will matter, since the analog digital converter for your microphones aren't good enough to convert such a big signal-to-noise-ratio and it's likely the microphones have an much lower ratio than that.

Phil-Lewin wrote on 11/28/2023, 3:30 PM

Hi,

Yes using the Zoom F6 ASIO Driver in Soundforge.

32 bit float or 32 bit linear is in no way inferior to 24 bit in any situation in terms of recorder. I just wanted an easy to use 32 bit float setup but it seems audio software still hasn't caught up (or I am doing something dumb). Just looking for validation on my original issue before raising a ticket for a bug fix.

cdxp wrote on 7/10/2024, 3:46 AM

Was there ever a resolution or setting to resolve this ?

I am using Sound Forge 18 Pro with a Zoom UAC 232 interface purchased specifically to play with this feature and it wont record configured to 32 bit Float. I'm hoping this isnt a marketing department pretending to support a feature when they dont.Seems to work OK in other DAW software.

rraud wrote on 7/10/2024, 10:41 AM

Have you first selected 'File> New> 32 Bit (IEEE Float)'.. I do not have an Zoom UAC 232 to try out, but SFP-18 records with my FP32 bit Sound Devices interface.

cdxp wrote on 7/10/2024, 10:48 PM

Yes - not sure if you can see the compilationof screenshots I posted but both SF18 and the Zoom UAC 232 are set to 32 Bit float .

As soon as I hit record it says in1/2 does not support 32 bit float, unsupported media type requested, one or more audio devices do not support the current sample rate / bit depth.

Same session, same computer same settings work fine in Reason Studios.

Zoom do not list Sound Forge in their supported applications but i'd hoped that was a lack of testing not lack of working.

Phil-Lewin wrote on 7/15/2024, 11:47 AM

Nothing got resolved. SF17+ is bugged in my professional opinion and devs (if there are any) don't appear to give a damn. Tried other software since and all work as expected recording 32 bit float via 32 bit float interface.

cdxp wrote on 7/16/2024, 9:44 AM

I also logged a ticket at the same time as the above post - zero response.

SP. wrote on 7/16/2024, 9:52 AM

@cdxp A ticket yesterday? It can take 3-4 business days for a response. If you don't get a response within a week don't forget to send a follow-up under your ticket number or else the ticket might get closed automatically.

john_barr wrote on 7/16/2024, 10:05 AM

I sent a ticket to support and it took two weeks for them to respond. My disappointment with Magix is ​​very great.

cdxp wrote on 7/20/2024, 8:52 PM

I got a response (about 7 days) which I paraphrase here.

Based on Magix internal testing, Magix user testing, and Magix forum feedback, Zoom 32 bit float devices including the Zoom UAC 232 and Zoom F6 will not work in 32 bit float mode with Magix Sound Forge Pro.

The issue has been recreated and a ticket PEFSF-26451 has been opened but there is no planned solution or fix date.

I infer from this Magix might fix it but the actual wording suggests to me Magix aren't going to fix it, use different hardware.

I have asked for a list of 32 bit float interfaces that are tested or known to work with Magix Sound Forge Pro. I have not yet received a response to that.

In the same timeframe Zoom have sent me 6 responses all either bouncing me back to the local reseller or asking if i've installed the drivers. I think the Zoom UAC 232 interface (and the Zoom 32 bit float standalone recorders) are interesting products in a vast sea of almost identical audio interfaces using mostly identical chip sets. Zoom dont seem to agree because there have been no software updates in a year, they killed the 4 and 8 channel versions before release, and the support is disinterested.

It's a shame because while the UAC 232 is a bit clunky in implementation, I can see a 2nd or 3rd gen product might be really good.

condex wrote on 8/23/2024, 8:49 AM

I bought a Rode NT1 5th generation microphone today which has 32-bit float via USB-C. After instaliing the Rode ASIO 32 float software (and the other 2 Rode apps), the Rode ASIO 32-bit float as the Audio Device Type in Options/Preferences/Audio, I get much the same error message in Sound Forge Pro 16 as the OP has experienced. I've now downloaded the trial version of SFP 18 - and still the same result. So its not just Zoom that is a problem with 32-bit float in SFP.

The Rode NT1 32-bit float microphone works fine in 32-bit float mode in free Audacity - and Rode's YT demo shows it working in low-cost Reaper. So why not Sound Forge Pro? Needless to say, I can't find any reason to upgrade to SFP 18.