Sound Forge 15 keeps crashing

Chris-G wrote on 8/3/2021, 4:28 PM

Hello,

Sound Forge 15 keeps crashing on me. My machine is running Windows 10, 32 GB of memory, on an Intel i7. I was using an older version. I decided to finally upgrade. I have not been able to get it to run since I downloaded it in February.

Here is the behavior:

If I try to open an mp3 it crashes.

Tried changing the audio driver. It still crashes.

I uninstalled and reinstalled it. It asks me for my serial number. After inputting my serial number, it crashes.

Please help!

Comments

rraud wrote on 8/3/2021, 5:10 PM

Which version of Sound Forge 15 (Pro or Audio studio?) Does the SF serial number prompt occur each time SF is launched. Do PCM (Wave) files cause SF to exhibit the same behavior. Is your PC on-line?

You may want to try uninstalling again using a third-party uninstaller like 'Revo Uninstall When you reinstall SF, make sure the PC is online and for the first time you open or encode an MP3 (same goes for other lossy codecs).
In the advanced mode, Revo can remove all left-over registry entries and other pertinent data the OS uninstall leaves behind, which is typically the root of recurring issues. If you have another version of SF installed, be careful not to delete shared plug-ins, however this is usually not a problem when one is a Sony version. Revo has a pro and a freeware version, you should not need the Pro version in this case.
There has been many reported instances with MP3 files in this forum and the Vegas Pro Audio forum.. search both.

btw, welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users forum @Chris-G.

Chris-G wrote on 8/3/2021, 7:22 PM

@rraud Thank you for welcoming me to the Magix Sound Forge users forum! I am using Sound Forge 15 Audio Studio(x64). From your recommendation, I downloaded Revo Uninstall. I uninstalled SF 15 using advanced mode in Revo Uninstall. Once it finished, I fired up the software. I entered my serial number. After a few seconds, I got a prompt from Windows informing me about a change. I clicked yes. The Sound Forge screen tried to launch and then it crashed. Not only did the software crash, but it also brought down my whole PC. I've gotten this before when trying to launch the software. I did get a window telling me it was collecting data to send for diagnostics before it crashed. Before this latest crash, I was getting SF serial number prompt each time SF is launched.

Okay, I tried launching it again. It prompted me to enter my serial number. My serial number was already filled in. This time when I got the windows prompt asking me to allow the software to make changes, I clicked no. The prompt closed and SF screen came up. A crash recovery dialog appeared with files that can't be recovered. I clicked on cancel. I clicked close on the Show Me How window. I clicked on file -> new and got the problem report window stating SF Audio Studio has stopped working.

rraud wrote on 8/4/2021, 1:08 PM

I would contact Magix Sound Forge Tech Support
Unfortunately it is convoluted process requesting a support ticket, so take a look at my instructional step-by-step list.