Sound Forge 13 - Cross fading question

Clint.Beachwood wrote on 3/14/2022, 11:42 AM

I'm using Sound Forge 13, PC, Windows 10. At the top of the recording / soundwave window and just below the time ruler I get multiple small yellow triangles that mark segments of the recording. I don't seem to be placing these markers myself. When I go to cross-fad two songs by using the event tool, only a small segment of the song will fade and not the whole song. That will also leave a gap in the song. My question is, how do I get rid of those yellow rectangular markers at the top of the window. Thanks, Clint

Comments

Walter.I wrote on 3/14/2022, 5:23 PM

A picture is worth a thousand words.
Can you provide a screenshot of the whole screen?

CPU: Intel i9-9900KS 4GHz, (UHD Graphics 630,)
MB: ASUS TUF Z390-PLUS Gaming,
MEM.: 32 GB Ram, DDR4-3200
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660 SUPER,
Storage: SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2, SSD 860 EVO Series 1TB, Toshiba 3TB SATA,
Soundforge Pro 14, Build 111

rraud wrote on 3/14/2022, 6:11 PM

I am not sure what you mean @Clint.Beachwood, but try disabling events auto x-fade. "Options> Event> Automatic Crossfade"

Yellow markers? Some kind of error maybe. Do they go away when reverting to the normal edit tool?

Clint.Beachwood wrote on 3/14/2022, 6:31 PM

My first post. Up to this point it has been all trial and error, but I can use the program to get what I need. I feel there is so much more I need to learn. This is the most frustrating issue. Thanks in advance for the help.

Clint.Beachwood wrote on 3/14/2022, 6:36 PM

@rraud ... yes, they go away when using the "edit tool". They only show up when using the "event tool". I certainly don't place them there.

rraud wrote on 3/15/2022, 11:07 AM

Hi Clint.Beachwood, in this case the little yellow triangles are event handle makers event/edge points or in the normal mode selection/loop points . You can basically ignore them and they will eventually go away or change with further editing or mode changes. You can also change the color of them and make them disappear in "Options> Preferences> Display> Event fade handle" Other Event display options are there as well.

If you want to close up gaps and/or move following events to maintain a consistent timeline, Enable 'Auto Ripple' in the previously mentioned 'Options> Event' menu. If you slide the event over to close the gap, the following events will move with it. To make it easier to mate with the adjacent event, you can enable event snapping in the 'Options> Snapping' menu.

Clint.Beachwood wrote on 3/15/2022, 6:16 PM

Thank you @rraud ! I'm trying to make them go away completely but I can't seem to do that. They make fading two songs together very difficult. Is there something on this screen that I'm missing? Also... why do they arrear in the first place? Does Sound Forge randomly place them in the mix?

rraud wrote on 3/15/2022, 9:01 PM

They are there to facilitate x-fades and to ID event edges. To make the triangles disappear , you need to set the color the same as the timeline's background, whatever you have that set to. Adjusting the event's fade transparency may help ID the x-fades as well (also in the display menu). Offhand, I am not aware of a setting to disable them (aside from the normal edit mode). They are not put there randomly.
I do not recall the event display being an issue for anyone else before.. I may not be understanding your dilemma.

Clint.Beachwood wrote on 3/16/2022, 12:20 PM

I'll keep working on it. Thanks for your help @rraud