Comments

gandjcarr wrote on 12/24/2012, 10:28 AM

Hi,

So you have a PCM file codec on your system (I assume) but what about the file itself?  PCM is a digital re-sampling of a analog signal and how it will sound on playback is going to be determined by how the data was sampled 12 bit, 64 bit etc.  and the bit rate of the actual raw audio file.  You may have determined that you have a codec but you have not said if you have played the file or the audio component in anything other than Video Pro and not heard the white noise of clicks.  I suspect that the audio was sampled at a relatively slow sample rate and probably very low bps so the "noise" you are hearing is inherent in the file.  The fact that the file plays at all pretty much says the audio codec is ok.

I am not sure what you meant by "answers on postcard please ..." but if it meant short sweet and to the point, you really need to provide more information.

Good Luck,

George

hrhpaul wrote on 12/25/2012, 4:11 AM

The stock footage is from various sources.. all of the .avi stock has the same problem. We have never had this problem before and it plays perfectly in all of our other editing suites... and playback modules. We have two as400 dedicated servers with mirrored drives, 20Tb direct storage and dat tape backup. Most of the stock is aerial photography either filmed from our own helicopters or chartered aircraft....

Just like to know how to get over this problem... we spend a lot of money on software/hardware and as such are always looking for cost effective ways of using our budget. If the people at Magix can't solve this problem then we will simply look elsewhere...

In summary:
Clicking noise in sound track every second.
White noise approximately every 8 to 10 seconds lasting about 1 second
The stock plays perfectly in all other suites.
The problem seems to be just with .avi stock, and not just a particular file...
PCM codec present.

Sample:

Many thanks...

johnebaker wrote on 12/25/2012, 5:32 AM

Hi

From the example posted I cannot hear any clicking or white noise at regular intervals.  I have several questions though ...

1.  .....300 hours of stock footage which has never been a problem before....  Before what?  What has changed on your system(s) just before this problem arose?  Eg have you installed a new editing suite? (see 3 below)

2.  I have checked 5 of the other clips that are linked at the end of the above example and can find no problems with them.  Do they also have the same problem when you play them back on your system.

3.  When you say you have the correct PCM codecs, which ones as there are many versions, some official and some 'unofficial' which are available in various codec packs.  Use GSpot to determine which PCM codecs are installed and their priority settings.  It may be that an 'unofficial' codec or different PCM codec has been installed and it is causing the problem.

John

Last changed by johnebaker on 12/25/2012, 5:32 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

hrhpaul wrote on 12/26/2012, 5:20 AM

We have only just stareted with Magix products as a trial... Installation of the software is the only thing that has changed... Previously and still using Adobe Premier.

PCM codec is supplied with Adobe and upgraded as required by Adobe

The samples are a reference of what we do and all were compiled in Premier... 

Gspot shows the correct codec installed.. cross checked it against Adobe's knowledge database, drivers etc..

Listed as no codec required and 48000Hz  1536 kb/s tot (2 chnls)

Just don't seem to be getting very far with this....

Pemier does not have a problem with the files, even tried an old copy of Pinnacle studio 10 to see if that also replicated the problem... no..

It is just the Magix software.....and perhaps the way that the software samples the files....

johnebaker wrote on 12/27/2012, 8:03 AM

Hi

'PCM codec is supplied with Adobe and upgraded as required by Adobe'

That could be the problem - I suspect there may be an incompatability issue with VPX and the Adobe codec, and I think this may be a difficult issue to resolve - from experience Adobe appears not to like sharing parts of their software with others eg the codecs.

The only suggestion I can make is to force VPX to use a different codec by reducing the priority (Merit) setting of the Adobe PCM codec.  Premiere should still use the correct one, however this is not guaranteed.

GSpot can change the codec merit see  System, List Codecs and Other filters in the Merit column you lower the setting number.

Whether you wish to persue this option is entirely your decision. 

My preferred option would be to use a dedicated machine for VPX particularly as you are using centralised storage.

From experience with Adobe products in a MAC and PC environment I would never mix Adobe video editing software with any other manufacturers video editing software.

HTH

John

Last changed by johnebaker on 12/27/2012, 8:03 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

hrhpaul wrote on 12/27/2012, 8:59 AM

Many thanks for the replies... Sadly it looks like I won't be able to use the Magix software. I don't want to change Adobe's settings as we have had problems in the past. Just too risky as I have such a massive work load.

Adobe, as good as they are, cause us no end of grief when trying to crawl out of their grip. We've also had issues with PC and MAC environment involving MAC clients... a nightmare to solve..

I am thinking that I may set up a standalone unit onto which I can run the Magix suite... but it'll have to wait...

Once again, thanks for all the input...