Soud Forge does not receive a signal from the wireless microphone

JoseMaria-Garcia wrote on 4/27/2024, 9:16 AM

I have a problem with Sound Forge Audio Studio 17, I have also tried with Sound Forge Pro 18 and the same thing happens.

The microphone on my wireless headphones works well in all programs, including other audio applications like Audacity or AudioDirector. However, in Sound Forge the headphone microphone does not work, it is as if it does not receive a signal from it. I tried changing the audio type settings: Microsoft Sound Mapper, Windows Classic Wave Driver, etc. I've tried them all and none of them work. When I press the record button in Sound Forge, it does nothing.

But it's very curious, because it happens that if I open the audio settings in Windows, and only exactly the screen where the audio input and output is selected, if I have this screen open, then Sound Forge does receive the microphone signal and allows recording usually. But as soon as I close that window or switch to another section of the system settings, Sound Forge stops receiving the microphone signal again.

The curious thing is also that the Music Maker application, from the same company as Sound Forge, works perfectly and always receives a signal from the wireless headphones' microphone.

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this issue in Sound Forge?

Comments

rraud wrote on 4/27/2024, 10:49 AM

Hi @JoseMaria-Garcia and welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users community .
How is the wireless mic connected to the PC? (WiFI, USB, BT, separate receiver with an analog input cable).

Are you seeing any activity in the record level meter whilst in record ready (aka, Armed) "View> Record options". Do you have the 'monitor' enabled,.. though this can cause a run-away feedback on some PCs when record is initiated. Maybe try using a ASIO audio device like ASIO4ALL

JoseMaria-Garcia wrote on 4/27/2024, 11:15 AM

Hi rraud,

I am using wireless headphones with a microphone, they work with a USB dongle that connects to the USB port of the computer.

As I said, the headphones work perfectly, both for listening to audio and for recording it through its microphone with other audio applications such as Audacity, AudioDirector or Music Maker. From Sound Forge you can play audio, but not record it.

When I press the record button in Sound Forge, instead of recording, a small audio volume control automatically appears at the bottom of the screen, it is as if the application made a mess with the headset.

I have tried downloading ASIO4ALL, but the same problem continues.

The most curious thing, as I say, is that in Music Maker it works perfectly.

Any ideas?

SP. wrote on 4/27/2024, 11:21 AM

@JoseMaria-Garcia What audio device driver is selected in Sound Forge? Microsoft Sound Mapper? Have you tried different ones? Did you click on the Apply button after changing the driver?

After selecting ASIO4ALL you need to enter it's control panel and activate your microphone as the audio input.

JoseMaria-Garcia wrote on 4/27/2024, 11:45 AM

Hi SP.,

I have checked that I have everything configured correctly in ASIO4ALL and its control panel recognizes the wireless headset correctly.

The thing is that it's as if Sound Forge had some problem starting recording, because I've noticed the following:

I was recording a video with SnagIt Capture to upload it to Google Drive so you could see the problem. And it turns out that during the video recording, with the audio activated in this program, Sound Forge works well and allows you to record the audio from the headset. But as soon as the video recording stops in SnagIt, Sound Forge can no longer record.

It's like Sound Forge is sending the wrong commands to the headset, because what I'm saying is that when you press the record button in Sound Forge, a bar to modify the volume is instantly displayed below, it's like it's not sending the right commands to the headset or the system, I don't know, instead of starting to record, it shows you the volume bar to change it.

JoseMaria-Garcia wrote on 4/27/2024, 12:01 PM

For example, if I'm recording audio with Audacity, at that point it works in Sound Forge. When I stop recording in Audacity, Sound Forge can no longer start the headset microphone.

It's like if this one has some problem starting communication, if there is another app at that moment that is making use of the microphone and therefore Sound Forge doesn't have to start it somehow, it works perfectly. But if no other app has started the microphone, Sound Forge cannot start it.

SP. wrote on 4/27/2024, 12:40 PM

@JoseMaria-Garcia  Be aware that ASIO4ALL only allows a single program to access the audio device. So running Audacity and Sound Forge and a screen recorder at the same time will cause problems. With ASIO4ALL you can only run Sound Forge and that's it.

Also, Audacity isn't ASIO compatible since including ASIO compatibility in your software needs a paid license. So Audacity uses another driver, I suspect that driver is Windows WASAPI.

You can upload MP4 videos directly to this forum (via the arrow icon above the response text box). No need for Google Drive.

JoseMaria-Garcia wrote on 4/27/2024, 12:52 PM

When I tested with Audacity and desktop video recording in Snagit Capture, in Sound Force I had Microsoft Sound Mapper selected, and as I said before, if I was using the microphone in Snagit or Audacity, recording in SoundForge worked. When you stop recording in these programs, Sound Forge is no longer able to start recording with the headphones' microphone.

As I also said before, it doesn't work with ASIO4ALL either.

Sorry, I can't upload any video because of what I said before, I can't show you the problem because when Snagit is recording the video, recording in Sound Forge works. The moment I stop the recording in SnagIt, Soud Forge continues recording audio, but the moment I stop the recording in Sound Forge and try to launch it again, it no longer works, it cannot start the microphone of the wireless headset.

SP. wrote on 4/27/2024, 1:03 PM

@JoseMaria-Garcia What happens if you restart your computer (via the Restart option and not the Shut down option) and start Sound Forge as the first program? Does it record fine? Maybe other applications get exclusive access to your microphone, so Sound Forge might not work correctly if it is started after them.

JoseMaria-Garcia wrote on 4/27/2024, 1:14 PM

I just did what you said, restarted the computer and made sure that no other application that uses audio starts before Sound Forge, but the result is the same.

Is there a way to open Sound Forge in debug mode so that it leaves some logs, traces or something to give more information about what may be happening?

I've looked in the Windows EventViewer, but I don't see anything related to this or Sound Forge.