[Solved] SoundForge 17.0.2 crackling

Thomas-SL wrote on 12/5/2023, 12:43 PM

Hi everyone, I purchased SF17 pro

A) and when press "Play" the first transients are not played. I'm editing Kick, Bass or other percussion samples like hihat's, etc.

It about 200 samples at 44.1khz 24bit that not played or used as a fade in.
First transients playing after return in "loop mode" to the start again.

It doesn't matter what audio device are connected or used.

B) When making a selection inside a sample, then fade in and out an effect by the additional curves. The sound starts to crackle inside the fade area in real time preview and none preview.
My system is AMD Ryzen™ 9 5900X Desktop with 64GB.

Does anyone know how to solve this issues perhaps by setting?

Comments

rraud wrote on 12/5/2023, 1:42 PM

What device driver are you using? (Options> Preferences> Audio) Windows Classic Wave driver and Microsoft Sound Mapper are usually trouble-free. An ASIO driver is usually not needed for Sound Forge.

Also in "Options> Preferences> Audio", try double-clicking the playback buffer adjust fader to restore it to the default . If there is no change, experiment with the buffer setting, increasing the setting usually eliminates glitches

You should also check if the first sample is at a zero crossing. You can enable snap-to zero crossings in the 'Options> Snapping' menu which is usually recommended for editing

btw, welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users community @Thomas-SL.

Thomas-SL wrote on 12/5/2023, 2:53 PM

Thanks for your reply.. yes it's default..
I tried also 0.05 or 1.0 .. some of the advanced settings also. Crackling stays unfortunately.

btw, thanks! :-)

rraud wrote on 12/5/2023, 4:56 PM

What are the files' attributes @Thomas-SL ? Can we assume you are not trying to use a lossy file type?. MP3 for instance.

I cannot think of anything else at the moment except to try the reset procedure: 'File> Reset all preferences and clear cached data'

Thomas-SL wrote on 12/5/2023, 7:38 PM

It's originally wav 44.1khz 24bit.

Thomas-SL wrote on 12/5/2023, 7:45 PM

I can provide you with a sample.. about 200kbyte.. but I'm on the road now and able to send in about 10h.

Thomas-SL wrote on 12/7/2023, 12:18 PM

Hi again,

there is a link to Dropbox to the .Wav 44.1KHz 24bit file 150KB: _SL_KICK_Twenty-Heathens-6.wav

This is a link to preview in browser. So you can be assured it's a true WAV.
And downloading for a test.

rraud wrote on 12/7/2023, 3:21 PM

Yes @Thomas-SL, the initial attack is indeed cut off. I checked with multiple versions of Sound Forge and it is the same. It also exists in Vegas if the file is placed at 00:00:00:000. It probably has something to do with the file which does not start on a zero crossing. The first zero crossing is approx 1 millisecond in which is just beyond the initial transient. Other kick and snare samples I have playback ok, Strangely enough, the file plays back perfectly if I switch to a ASIO driver so you could try that ..or.. add 1ms of silence (@ zero crossings), which should allow the initial transient to play. btw, a 1ms delay should not be audible and would be the equivalent of moving a mic back about one foot (300 mm).
Contact Magix support for their opinion. I would also be curious of other users options.

Thomas-SL wrote on 12/8/2023, 4:42 PM

Thank you very much!

Edit: What do you mean by "do not start at the zero crossing" ?
This file should start in my case at -inf = 0.. Or do you mean something different?

I will try all possible combinations, with Asio and the hopefully the
Record Stereo Mix works as well in this case.
I post a solution if I'll find some.

Thomas-SL wrote on 12/9/2023, 8:48 AM

I resolved the crackling sound issues on my Windows 10 system using Sound Forge 17.0.2. I navigated to Preferences > Audio and set the Playback buffer to 0.9. This effectively eliminated the crackling sounds after a system restart.

Initially, when I adjusted the buffer size to 0.9 and clicked [Apply], there was no immediate change. However, a system restart was necessary to apply the changes.

It's unclear why such a large buffer is required on my setup, which includes an AMD Ryzen X 5900X with 64GB RAM, an AORUS X570 Elite motherboard, using Windows Sound Mapper and Realtek HD Audio, especially when enabling the Stereo Mix Recording feature.

rraud wrote on 12/9/2023, 1:03 PM

What do you mean by "do not start at the zero crossing"

When editing, it is recommended to have "Options> Snapping> Zero Crossings" enabled to prevent extraneous pops, clicks, glitches for occurring at the edit points. On your kick drum sample, the first zero crossing point occurs at approx one millisecond (1ms).

Roger-Cabo wrote on 12/13/2023, 7:58 AM

When editing, it is recommended to have "Options> Snapping> Zero Crossings" enabled to prevent extraneous pops, clicks, glitches for occurring at the edit points. On your kick drum sample, the first zero crossing point occurs at approx one millisecond (1ms).

Hi rraud,
Zero crossings are predominantly present in mono files. In stereo files, they are typically absent except during phase shifts.

In such scenarios, audio editing software often creates a buffer for editing, starting from a zero position and extrapolating some samples to the desired volume, or amplitude. However, the outcome of this editing process is then interpolated back into the source file's buffer.

I've downloaded the demo file, which contains a stereo file with slight low-frequency phase shifts. In this case, the software should be capable of finding workarounds to avoid crackling noises or to smoothly interpolate sample transitions. In this case, I apply a selection and implement fade-ins and fade-outs using additional line curves for a few milliseconds. If crackling persists despite these adjustments, it likely indicates an issue with the editor, especially considering a large buffer at 44,100 samples, which equates to one second.

Audio programming is indeed a complex task. Nonetheless, SF offers some excellent options that I greatly prefer!

Thomas-SL wrote on 3/27/2024, 4:56 PM

Hi rraud,
Zero crossings are predominantly present in mono files. In stereo files, they are typically absent except during phase shifts.

In such scenarios, audio editing software often creates a buffer for editing, starting from a zero position and extrapolating some samples to the desired volume, or amplitude. However, the outcome of this editing process is then interpolated back into the source file's buffer.

I've downloaded the demo file, which contains a stereo file with slight low-frequency phase shifts. In this case, the software should be capable of finding workarounds to avoid crackling noises or to smoothly interpolate sample transitions. In this case, I apply a selection and implement fade-ins and fade-outs using additional line curves for a few milliseconds. If crackling persists despite these adjustments, it likely indicates an issue with the editor, especially considering a large buffer at 44,100 samples, which equates to one second.

Audio programming is indeed a complex task. Nonetheless, SF offers some excellent options that I greatly prefer!

A bit late but excellent!!