[Solved] disable VST scan

drmq wrote on 1/8/2021, 4:49 AM

Hi,

I use Soundforge Audio Studio 14 on PC to edit audio files and I need to do that quickly. The VST plugin scanning process slows down the launch of the program and I would like to disable it. Or at least, please let me add more than 3 VST folders so I can add only the strict minimum number of VST to reduce that scanning process (e.g. Dynamics, Denoising and EQ folders).

I have found impossible to contact support for that (the website is a true maze) and I haven't seen any updates of SoundForge in years so I feel totally hopeless but I figured you should know at least, so here's my message in a bottle.

All the best

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 1/8/2021, 10:43 AM

@drmq

Hi

. . . . the website is a true maze . . .

It can be however, it does have a guide on to how to navigate through it here.

HTH

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

rraud wrote on 1/8/2021, 12:49 PM

Welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users forum @drmq.

To bypass the VST plug-ins search during the start-up process, try this:
- Right-click on the application's shortcut launch icon.
- Select 'Properties'
- Add the following command outside of the quotes in the Target field: /NOVSTGROVEL be sure to include a space between the last quote and the beginning of the command line like this: ("C:\Program Files\SOUND FORGE\SOUND FORGE Pro 14.0\Forge140.exe" /NOVSTGROVEL)

I do not know if the works with AS (Audio Studio).

drmq wrote on 1/8/2021, 1:30 PM

Hi

Thanks much for your answers. I wasn’t expecting such a quick reaction!

As for the link for support. I click « here »and it doesn’t work. If I follow your instructions it doesn’t work either (only links to the documentation are shown).

As for disabling the vst scan, I launch Soundforge typically with the ‘open with’ command or with the menu dialog added by Soundforge itself. I’m not sure how I can add this option in this case. I read your first answer mentioning a hidden menu to make it permanent. How do I get to that hidden menu?

Regards

rraud wrote on 1/8/2021, 2:57 PM

For SF Pro the internal menu is accessible by "Shift key> "Options> Preferences". I do not know if this works with AS.

Just create a shortcut with the modified 'target' command. Otherwise you can create modify existing 'Open with" commands with this handy 'Default Program Editor' utility. .. Context menus is just one the useful features.

To contact Magix support: (this is complicated .. do not blame me)
- Select the "SUPPORT" at the top of the page
- Choose your product (Sound Forge Pro for instance)
- Click the "Ask Support" box on bottom right of page
- Under "I NEED HELP WITH" >> choose "Music" or other generalized category and ignore the "Perhaps this will help you"
- Further down on the page choose your product (again):
- At the bottom-right, click the blue button "SEARCH FOR OTHER SOLUTIONS"
- Enter a keyword, such as 'MP3' and click the "FIND A SOLUTION" button
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and select "SEND A SUPPORT REQUEST"
- If so desired, you can change the subject text (which is the previously entered keyword)
- "Describe your issue as detailed as possible" in the text box
- Click Submit and OK

drmq wrote on 1/8/2021, 4:29 PM

For SF Pro the internal menu is accessible by "Shift key> "Options> Preferences". I do not know if this works with AS.

No it doesn't with AS.

Just create a shortcut with the modified 'target' command. Otherwise you can create modify existing 'Open with" commands with this handy 'Default Program Editor' utility. .. Context menus is just one the useful features.

It is far from ideal but I will give it a try. How difficult would it be to add a toggle in Preferences? ... Am I the only one suffering from this?

To contact Magix support: (this is complicated .. do not blame me)
- Select the "SUPPORT" at the top of the page
- Choose your product (Sound Forge Pro for instance)
- Click the "Ask Support" box on bottom right of page
- Under "I NEED HELP WITH" >> choose "Music" or other generalized category and ignore the "Perhaps this will help you"
- Further down on the page choose your product (again):
- At the bottom-right, click the blue button "SEARCH FOR OTHER SOLUTIONS"
- Enter a keyword, such as 'MP3' and click the "FIND A SOLUTION" button
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and select "SEND A SUPPORT REQUEST"
- If so desired, you can change the subject text (which is the previously entered keyword)
- "Describe your issue as detailed as possible" in the text box
- Click Submit and OK

Thanks. I also find it extremely complicated but again I will try.

drmq wrote on 1/9/2021, 4:46 AM

Welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users forum @drmq.

To bypass the VST plug-ins search during the start-up process, try this:
- Right-click on the application's shortcut launch icon.
- Select 'Properties'
- Add the following command outside of the quotes in the Target field: /NOVSTGROVEL be sure to include a space between the last quote and the beginning of the command line like this: ("C:\Program Files\SOUND FORGE\SOUND FORGE Pro 14.0\Forge140.exe" /NOVSTGROVEL)

I do not know if the works with AS (Audio Studio).

It doesn't work with Sound Forge Audio Studio.

Honestly, I feel discouraged to contact support.

If they want to add this fine, if they don't, I'll look for another program to replace SoundForge.

emmrecs wrote on 1/9/2021, 6:37 AM

@drmq

I have SF Audio Studio 12.6, so an older version than yours, and my VST plugins folder has more than 200 plugins, plus those in the VST3 folders. Start-up of the app is near-instantaneous; I'm pretty sure it doesn't actually rescan everything on each program start.

If you want to only ever have specific VSTs available for SFAS, have you considered creating a folder and copying to it ONLY those dlls and pointing the app to only that folder?

HTH

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Samplitude Pro X7 Suite, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

rraud wrote on 1/9/2021, 11:38 AM

I'm pretty sure it doesn't actually rescan everything on each program start.

Correct! That is the purpose of the SF 'grovel' VST and DX <.log> files which lives in the AppData system folder.

drmq wrote on 1/9/2021, 11:42 AM

I'm pretty sure it doesn't actually rescan everything on each program start.

Correct! That is the purpose of the SF 'grovel' VST and DX <.log> files which lives in the AppData system folder.

Unless you install/update vst regularly.