Shutting down Acidplanet.com

MAGIX_Redaktion wrote on 5/14/2018, 10:04 AM

Dear ACID users,

Time to say goodbye and hello! We will be shutting down acidplanet.com on May 25th because we want to bring you into the worldwide ACID community on magix.info. That way we have one big ACID family in the same place.

On magix.info, you can discuss in the forum, share tutorials and upload songs created with ACID!

Thank you everyone for participating in acidplanet.com over the past years. We are excited to welcome you to and involve you in the community of ACID software on magix.info!

Best regards
Mathias

Edit: Changed the Deadline

Edit2: Changed the Deadline

Comments

dj_doughy wrote on 5/14/2018, 11:00 AM

Can you make a quick way for us to download our works? For example, I have songs available for download and some that are not. With over 200 songs, it's time consuming to go thru each song and enable download..

Air4 wrote on 5/14/2018, 2:39 PM

Will you retain all the downloadable files of AcidPlanet artists on this site? I just discovered AcidPlanet a few months ago and I've been sampling/downloading music ever since! Alot of the mp3s are from over 10 years ago and they're free to download. Only soundclick has such vast array of free, downloadable music from underground bands. Is there a way I can retain access to browse and sample/download all these artists music? It would be heartbreaking just to delete all those files forever. I just got started on that site.

EnochtheRad wrote on 5/14/2018, 6:30 PM

please create an archive of all the music on Acidplanet.com. There's way too much there to just throw into the wastebasket. How much does it cost to preserve it?

FantaC-Electronica wrote on 5/15/2018, 12:13 AM

I agree. What is it going to take to preserve the content on that site? I'll start a go fund me if we have to :P

ITCHYPHOX wrote on 5/15/2018, 2:34 AM

I agree also. There's a labyrinthian library of amazing songs & sounds on AP from talented artists, musicians. ACIDplanet museum must survive.

dj_doughy wrote on 5/15/2018, 8:16 AM

I agree. What is it going to take to preserve the content on that site? I'll start a go fund me if we have to :P

@EnochtheRad and @FantaC-Electronica I'm working with a script guru coworker to write a powershell script that scrapes artist pages for asx files, then will download each file from the as in one swift step. If it works, we could send him donations for his time :)

FantaC-Electronica wrote on 5/15/2018, 1:15 PM

@dj_doughy I'm actually in the process of doing something similar :P

Teister wrote on 5/15/2018, 2:47 PM

Auch. Such a loss for internet history. Made a profile to follow the comments. Will the script guru's please give an update when their magic is working? :)

Air4 wrote on 5/15/2018, 4:21 PM

I will gladly donate also. I created an account here to know what happens.

ralf_t wrote on 5/15/2018, 4:43 PM

An archive would be cool 😊

justine-vickery wrote on 5/15/2018, 7:48 PM

i have been on this site since 2005 and through the years have met and worked with the most talented artist's on this site. The artists on this site gave me hope in myself and showed me love. I will be devastated if this site shuts down

e-Gloomy-nations wrote on 5/15/2018, 10:49 PM

I simply can't understand.. This is pure TERROR ! All my tracks gone, feedback gone, downloads gone, e-friends I made, gone ! Simply terrible ! :-(

beatsbooster wrote on 5/16/2018, 8:49 AM

Oh no! this is really sad to hear, i hope you integrate all the download files and songs and profiles in your new site. There must be a way to preserve all of the download files.

Do we have to wait until may 28th to know how this changes will affect the users? i would love to hear any news.

dj_doughy wrote on 5/16/2018, 1:52 PM

Good news! I have a functional (yet messy) powershell script that can pull data from an artist page and download all the music from that page (i think both download links and play links). Going to add a few prompts to make it easier for the end user.

Prophets_of_Conviction wrote on 5/16/2018, 7:53 PM

I really wish you had a plan to migrate us Acid Planet users to Magix. I have over 300 songs on that site. Thats a lot of Downloading to save my stuff.

Prophets_of_Conviction wrote on 5/16/2018, 7:54 PM

Good news! I have a functional (yet messy) powershell script that can pull data from an artist page and download all the music from that page (i think both download links and play links). Going to add a few prompts to make it easier for the end user.

I would love to hear more about this and I have a lot of friends who would love to hear about this also.

A_Pleasant_Symmetry wrote on 5/16/2018, 8:04 PM

I would like this , as long as they also guarantee a no download setting , when my profile is migrated . As of yet I see no function to stop downloads and I have copyrighted material +album releases.

Ethereal_Dublinerz wrote on 5/16/2018, 8:04 PM

Any plans to bring back the remix competitions ? They were always fun and provided some useful free loops.

One thing about the new community. There doesn't appear to be any way to download media, or is there ? I tend not to do much social networking and use the platform mainly as a way of online backup.

dj_doughy wrote on 5/16/2018, 9:20 PM

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1H7i4jVRcd-xR-cDQtP7uoLfaFLzphhLT/view?usp=sh

Here is a link to the first version of the script that can scrape the music from yours or others artist page on ACIDplanet.com

READ THIS PLEASE:
THIS IS ONLY TESTED ON WINDOWS 10 WITH POWERSHELL

If you have an up to date computer with Windows 10, you will have powershell on it!

How to use:
Save the file to your desktop!
Right-click the file and Run with Powershell
Paste the FULL artist page url when prompted
Download will begin, files will be located in your C:\ drive under AcidFiles\Songs
THIS WILL TAKE A LONG TIME. Once it is done, you will see the PS prompt. You can close Powershell then.

DONATE TO MY COWORKER WHO PUT SOME SOLID TIME INTO THIS WITH ME : https://paypal.me/cubebox

If you get an error saying “Running scripts is disabled on this system”, please do the following:

- Click on start, and type "Powershell"
  - Right click the Windows Powershell app and "Run as administrator"
  - type in the following command (sans quotes)
  "Set-ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted"
  - Click "Yes to all", then close that command window

THERE ARE SOME LIMITATIONS TO THIS SCRIPT, PLEASE READ THIS!

- It can only grab "G" rated music, as I haven't figured out how to authenticate a session with the script
- As far as I know, it only grabs the "Play" version of the songs
-All of the files downloaded will be numbered, however the metadata contains the song names and descriptions. There are free software out there that can pull this info, and batch rename your files! Google it!

Sorry for the rough nature of this file, there might be some errors that pop up, but be patient, if you check the working folder of C:\AcidFiles you will see it working, and when the BITS downloading begins, check the Songs folder, you will see files appear.

dj_doughy wrote on 5/16/2018, 9:32 PM

Also, keep an eye on it, it might finish downloading files, but keep connecting using the BITS. Just see how many files you have compared to songs. This script isn't perfect, it will take a bit of brain work to put pieces together. It's what could be done on a short timetable and limited knowledge on my side of the table to finish things up.

MAGIX_Redaktion wrote on 5/17/2018, 5:17 AM

First of all, I'm really moved how much you all care for acidplanet and the connections you made there. Hopefully, we can achieve something similar in the future!

We have read your feedback and I need to be clear here: There will be no archive and there will be no "buying back". What we can do is the following: We will postpone the deadline to the 15th june to give you all more time to save what's important to you.

Going foward

Please make yourself at home at magix.info and upload new songs in our media section. Regarding this I will need your help. We want to develope our platform further. So every feedback about the website or suggestions to improve the media section is welcome!

If you have a question about the forum, I'm always avalaible to you. Just write me a private message.

Any plans to bring back the remix competitions ? They were always fun and provided some useful free loops.

@Ethereal_DublinerzCould you please elaborate how these competitions were handled in the past?

One thing about the new community. There doesn't appear to be any way to download media, or is there ? I tend not to do much social networking and use the platform mainly as a way of online backup.

If you use the chrome browser, you will find a download button in the media player. Other than that the technology has evolved a lot and you should be able to save media with all kinds of tricks (plugins etc.).

Best regards,
Mathias

dj_doughy wrote on 5/17/2018, 8:28 AM

We will postpone the deadline to the 15th june

Neat, that's my 17th anniversary on Acidplanet! 😵

Could you please elaborate how these competitions were handled in the past?

@MAGIX_Redaktion Sonic Foundry (and then Sony) would host remix compitions for popular artists (Beck, Beastie Boys, Johnny Cash, Filo & Peri... Just to name a few) and then have a panel of judges (sometimes the artist themselves, or the community depending on the artist/group) vote for the best/runnerup/etc. Prizes included copies of the latest Acid or Vegas software, sound packs, and I think one time there was a car given away?

Anyways, contests would provide isolated stems and/or loops from the song being remixed so artists can download and do legit remixes of the songs, and then share them with the community. Sometimes, SF/Sony would provide a selection of loop library to help get the juices flowing on remixing. Check out the huge list of contests on the contest page of ACIDplanet. That's one of the huge parts of the site that will be missed!

dj_doughy wrote on 5/17/2018, 10:13 AM

@MAGIX_Redaktion There was also concern on recovering Podcasts, which that feature was only enabled if Prozone was purchased (when it was available). However now that we can no longer purchase it, we cannot recover that data. Would it be possible for you to contact the previous webmaster to see how to enable it site wide so those who need to recover their podcasts can?

kim-baker wrote on 5/17/2018, 2:40 PM

@MAGIX_Redaktion Actually if you know nothing about running Remix Contests and you aren't going to archive 18 years of music from the old site anyway, I'd suggest you check out https://metapop.com/ It's the most well-run remix competition website currently in my opinion and it runs quite similar to how acidplanet.com used to run theirs. It seems from the prizes on metapop that it's probably sponsored directly by Native Instruments. This is the type of format people refer to when they talk about "remix contests". Or for that matter, you could view the Contests link on http://www.acidplanet.com/contests/ (At least until June 15th when it goes plop) Sony used their connections through their Sony Music division, but you could pretty much host contests from any pool you like.

I love Acid software and use it as my main DAW. I loved acidplanet and I find it insane a company would throw 18 years of user provided content in the virtual trash. But I guess you guys have your reasons. Good luck with development plans for the software and site. There are droves of "AP'ers" that could give you feedback on most any aspect (good or bad) of the former site.